jigsaw
uj0320

should the punishment of cyber crime be at par with the punishment for rape,murder etc.

Started: 8/7/2008 Category: Technology

jigsaw

Pro

hello everyone,
i have a debate in my college on the above mentioned topic.
now if u guys could help me out with both PRO & CON then may be i can win my college debate.

just tell me the arguments for both PRO & CON.
uj0320

Con

I will represent my arguments once my opponent starts representing his arguments, not asking people to do it for him.
jigsaw

Pro

The first recorded cyber crime took place in the year 1820! That is not surprising considering the fact that the abacus, which is thought to be the earliest form of a computer, has been around since 3500 B.C. in India, Japan and China. The era of modern computers, however, began with the analytical engine of Charles Babbage.

In 1820, Joseph-Marie Jacquard, a textile manufacturer in France, produced the loom. This device allowed the repetition of a series of steps in the weaving of special fabrics. This resulted in a fear amongst Jacquard's employees that their traditional employment and livelihood were being threatened. They committed acts of sabotage to discourage Jacquard from further use of the new technology. This is the first recorded cyber crime!

The growing danger from crimes committed against computers, or against information on computers, is beginning to claim attention in national capitals. In most countries around the world, however, existing laws are likely to be unenforceable against such crimes. This lack of legal protection means that businesses and governments must rely solely on technical measures to protect themselves from those who would steal, deny access to, or destroy valuable information.

Self-protection, while essential, is not sufficient to make cyberspace a safe place to conduct business. The rule of law must also be enforced. Countries where legal protections are inadequate will become increasingly less able to compete in the new economy. As cyber crime increasingly breaches national borders, nations perceived as havens run the risk of having their electronic messages blocked by the network.
uj0320

Con

Even though some of extreme cases of cyber crimes cause victims to be seriously affected in their lives, cyber crime cannot be compared with the pain of victims of the most extreme crimes as murder,rape, etc.

Cyber crime has threatened the society ever since the use of internet has been open to people so easily, because anonymity of people is guaranteed. Even though they occur more frequently than such crimes as murder or rape, they do not cause as bad effect to victims as murder or rape does to them.

The punishment of a crime should be decided upon its cruelty. The cruelty of cyber crime cannot be compared that of inhuman crimes, rape and murder;therefore, the punishment for cyber crime should not be the same as the punishment for rape or murder.
jigsaw

Pro

Cyber crimes—harmful acts committed from or against a computer or network—differ from most terrestrial crimes in four ways.
•They are easy to learn how to commit;
•They require few resources relative to the potential damage caused;
•They can be committed in a jurisdiction without being physically present in it;
•They are often not clearly illegal.

"Why would you bother with flying a plane into a skyscraper when you could cause a crisis of confidence in the financial sector with an Internet-based attack?"
"You don't even need to rob the banks, just cause a run on them."
One of the key challenges for law enforcement authorities is the lack of a coordinated global structure under which cybercriminals can be charged and prosecuted. To take advantage of this, some groups have set themselves up in countries with less stringent checks and controls.

The point on which i would like to stress is the fact that the consequences of cyber crime are as cruel as those of murder,rape,etc. and in some cases worst than taking ONE life.
so my friend don't you think its high time for the government to bring some changes in the law structure keeping in mind the harshness of cyber crime.
uj0320

Con

My opponent did not specifically choose one particular cyber crime that can cause as serious damage as murder or rape.

Generally, cyber crimes DO damage network systems, and consquently internet users, but not as significant as rape or murder does. As I pointed out at the earlier point, punishment for a crime should be consistent with the cruelty of a crime. Even though my opponent believes the cruelty of cyber crimes can be compared to that of murder or rape, it certainly cannot be compared to such inhuman violations, rape and murder.

Cyber crimes often causes damages to financial means, while rape and murder often take victims' lives. Financial means cannot be more valuable than people's lives in any case, regardless of quantity. Therefore, it is absurd to consider cyber crimes as same as murder or rape, and give same punishments to those who commit them.
Posted by jigsaw 8 years ago
jigsaw
someone hang me to death...
ha ha ha
Posted by uj0320 8 years ago
uj0320
now you're just insulting me with ignorant comments.

if your job is to make people laugh, then you should not be on this website, which people are supposed to debate with seriousness, you should be some other joking around websites that you tend to like.

Also, I already represented my arguments about why cyber crime is not a seirous crime on previous rounds. This commentary section can be unrelated to the topic, and I can stress the points that you misrepresented or did something wrong.

You think plagiarism is not a serious thing, I highly recommend you to do it when you debate against other teams in your college, or write your essays without citation.

I will not be as much immature as you by making unnecessary insulting comments about your ignorance and immaturity, but try to be gentle and nice because you seem like a little bit unstable.

If further comments come up that contain unnecessary insults, I will accuse you.
Posted by jigsaw 8 years ago
jigsaw
are u blind?
see my pic,its called joker!
my work is to make people laugh..
now stop showing your dirty yellow teeth,and listen carefully-i didn't cited my arguments,SO WHAT?
suddenly why are you stressing on that point when you say that cyber crime is not a serious crime.
why care now?
just bcoz your a** is on fire,you'll betray your arguments.

now get something else buddy,all my friends are laughing their lungs out on your stupid suggestions and infantile tantrums..
Posted by uj0320 8 years ago
uj0320
What are you talking about?
life, which is an intangible and the most valuable thing, is still can not be even compared witht the value of information. Now you're trying to make a point with misconception, and by plagiarising.

It is a joke and such an immature act.
I'm still stagnant about my point that cybercrime should not get same punishment as rape or murder. I did not say information or such things that are marred by cyber crime are invaluble, but I argued such things are not as valuable as life.

NO offense but.. YOU MADE ME LAUGH by saying "I got you into my trap!!"
Posted by jigsaw 8 years ago
jigsaw
so now we are getting somewhere.
the whole thing was a trap!
and chap u r in my trap!!
suddenly in a great desire to win the debate,truth is popping out of your stomach.
now you agree "information is considered as much valuable possesion as tangible possesions"
you are using intensifier like GREATLY after penalized.
ofcourse this tells the psychological situation going on in ur brain.

i copied the work without citation to see what your reaction is!

and guys here comes the truth..

grow up...
Posted by uj0320 8 years ago
uj0320
You're not supposed to take someone else's work without citation, it is considered as cyber crime as well.

If you do the same thing at your college debate, I'm 100% sure that you will be penalized greately.

plagiarism is same as stealing because information is considered as much valuable possesion as tangible possesions.
Posted by jigsaw 8 years ago
jigsaw
dear so what!
i admit that u can get my arguments on the net,ofcourse i did copy pasted them.
but does that mean i committed a CYBER CRIME.
i just wanted to prove my point and for that i needed some arguments.my instincts say that cyber crime is as bad as murder,rape.but to express my instincts i needed some help and god gave me that.
you are trying to argue a point which is just out of the whole picture.

if u have got any sensible points to speak off then go ahead,i'll really appreciate it.
goodluck
Posted by uj0320 8 years ago
uj0320
what?
just typing your whole argument in google states you obviously plagiarised.
Posted by jigsaw 8 years ago
jigsaw
nice try buddy,but this ain't going to win you ant votes.
people know whats right and whats wrong.
and of course "cyber crime cannot be compared with the pain of victims of the most extreme crimes as murder,rape, etc." courtesy - uj0320 round 2
so i don't think my victims[voters] are in any deep PAIN voting for me!

chill
Posted by uj0320 8 years ago
uj0320
I don't get why my opponent should get votes when he obviously plagiarised someone else's work without citation
Vote Placed by Nox 8 years ago
Nox
jigsawuj0320Tied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
jigsawuj0320Tied
Vote Placed by brettbond123 8 years ago
brettbond123
jigsawuj0320Tied
Vote Placed by Katie01 8 years ago
Katie01
jigsawuj0320Tied
Vote Placed by JakeRoss 8 years ago
JakeRoss
jigsawuj0320Tied
Vote Placed by simplex 8 years ago
simplex
jigsawuj0320Tied
Vote Placed by Puck 8 years ago
Puck
jigsawuj0320Tied
Vote Placed by Cooperman88 8 years ago
Cooperman88
jigsawuj0320Tied
Vote Placed by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
jigsawuj0320Tied
Vote Placed by jigsaw 8 years ago
jigsaw
jigsawuj0320Tied