fredman15
feen

should there be NASA be less used in America

Started: 7/30/2010 Category: Technology

fredman15

Pro

Hello I'm Freddie and I would like to say I think NASA should be lessed use in America because it takes billions of dollars to send one shuttle out in space and we don't really accomplish nothing big and so what is the point we have only sent a man to the moon a couple of times and we are just wasting our money
feen

Con

The argument that "we didn't accomplish" is not very strong. We still have not accomplished much with it, but that could be only a impression and, if not, observe the following points:
1. Mainly, the fact that we didn't accomplish much does not mean that we will not.
2. NASA has found out much about the universe and will still find out much about it every single day. We can not simply ignore the universe around us because not only we are destroying the planet we live at, but also because there might be more out there for us.
3. The universe offers dangers. Many fiction depictions of the end of the world show a very common occurrence: the lack of vigilance striking the humanity with the end of the world.
Of course that saying that maintaining NASA is preventing the end of the world is also something not very strong to say, but I would point out that whatever the danger is, we should watch for it carefully, as the dinosaurs didn't.

It is, indeed, very expensive to maintain such research. However, we might also point out that most cutting edge technology, in any given given time in history, would be costly. And the reason why the technology that was really advanced years ago is cheap today, is because we didn't stop to invest and work on it, until we knew enough about it to integrate it with our costs, needs and with our budget.

Finally, NASA is responsible for many inventions that are not as much space-related as you would think, but have a significant impact in your life. To name a few useful contributions from NASA to the world, the agency is responsible for the invention or improvement of cordless technology, water filters, long-distance calls and smoke detectors. (http://science.howstuffworks.com...)

To close my argument, one single word: satellites.
fredman15

Pro

Ok apparntely my oppenent did not read my main headline i said NASA should be use LESS in america not taken completely away my oppenent is right we have found out more about the universe true but you see we find out so much about for example jupitar ok there is no life on jupitar there is no water nothing ( except jupitar rocks and stuff) ok we spend billionsof dollars going there and learning nothing we can not use jupitar to help boost our economoy so whats the point in spending billions and billions of dollars to go there when we could be using that billions of dollars to help boost our econmoy and what my oppenent was saying about NASA uses sattelite and help wireless technology form i agreewith that i think that should be the only thing NASA is MAINLY used for because we need that to help us in the world we live in today
feen

Con

Indeed, so let me point important reasons that require attention and money for the benefit of national security, understanding and development of worldwide science.
Again, the fact that we have not found much about something does not prove we will not (it also does not prove we will). It is likely that our discoveries in the universe will teach us more about ourselves and our planet itself than many things we could be researching in earth itself.
The scenarios we could suppose here are endless. They could range from a race to get water in Jupiter (there is water in JupitEr) to trying to clean the space garbage.
Investing money in NASA is attempting to understand the future and past without the wrong and primitive assumption that we are the center of this universe, that we will only find answers within ourselves, that we are alone.
War will eventually extend to the space. China, the Russia and the United States developed earth to space weapons and during the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany, space to earth weapons were also designed, as much as in the United States. Investing in NASA is powering research to learn how to be ready for a proper defense to this attacks.

(http://www.fas.org..., http://www.sciencedirect.com..., http://www.time.com...)

For science, what we have discovered until a point is resumed to the ability we had here in earth. As soon as NASA (and other space agencies around the globe) could research the outer space, much more was discovered and the usefulness of this research, that is contested here, are necessary to any need we might come across because it represents our understanding of how it works, where it is. It is identification and capability to say that we are aware of the situation and, if we need to do something about it, we understand what is around our planet and have the means to go there and act.
Halting the full amount of investment NASA receives would be halting a very important process of science development for the whole world.
fredman15

Pro

fredman15 forfeited this round.
feen

Con

feen forfeited this round.
Posted by Sniperjake1994 6 years ago
Sniperjake1994
Darn, I was a bit late. Hey send me this debate challenge fredman15 and I'll accept.
Posted by CaptainFadora 6 years ago
CaptainFadora
i kinda want to debate you simply because of your grammar. and because I live next door to NASA. I live on the "Space Coast".
Posted by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
The non-military aspects of NASA should be privatized.
Posted by Sniperjake1994 6 years ago
Sniperjake1994
sure
Posted by fredman15 6 years ago
fredman15
i change it to 1 week is that ok
Posted by Sniperjake1994 6 years ago
Sniperjake1994
Change the voting period and I'll accept.