dirtbiker0405
LoveyounoHomo

should they allow religious movements in schools

LoveyounoHomo

dirtbiker0405

Pro

I think they should allow praying in school if kids believe in God they should be able to pray without getting kicked out of school. If people don't believe in God they should just keep it to themselves. But the schools should not keep God out of the schools for every one else.
LoveyounoHomo

Con

I would like to start by thanking my opponent for starting this debate. I want to challenge myself and accept this debate although i dont believe in con. So from there i will start.

This has been by far one of the biggest discussions about schools in a long time. As my opponent has stated by religious movement's he means prayer. Also by him saying "GOD" and not "Gods" I will take my argument from a Monotheistic view.

School is a place meant for education and education only. They do not make schools to go there and horse around and pray. You go there to learn and focus on what your task is. Kids praying may also bother students during school. For example is you are a muslim. They pray at certain times a day 5 times a day. What happens when you are in class or something and the student has to pray to allah? This will surely distract other students. Another example for the christian religion. Most (Not all) Christians bow their head when they are praying. Teacher is teaching and a kid just randomly bows his head to do something else? That again will surely be a distraction and cause they kid to get in trouble for not paying attention.

My opponent states that kids should be allowed to pray in school if they believe in god, without getting kicked out. He also says "If people don't believe in god they should just keep it to themselves". What is up with that? So automatically believing in god is just outstanding, and atheism is just cruel and wrong? You stand for praying in schools so that christians, Muslims, Jews wont be supressed. However at the same time you are supressing kids that do not believe in a higher power. Like i said before if you want your "God Time" Then do it before and after school, not during. This would be like saying keep atheism out of school. You are supressing them to not say there views which is wrong.

Another argument is that kids are too young to understand what they are doing. Many kids may get baptised and such and just not realize what they are commiting to. They dont even realize who or what god is. All they know is that church is right, and believing in god is the way to go. People are so worried about o well God this and God that, they fail to realize how they got there in the first place. Its like feeding kids, if they think its good they will eat it. Same goes with prayer, It somehow Helps you and that means you have to bother others and go out of the way to pray to god.

Please Watch this video on prayer also. It is just a superstition to pollute kids minds.

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate. I look forward to the next round of argument.
dirtbiker0405

Pro

First off I would like to say that I believe in only one God and no other gods. If you pray in school it shouldn't distract other students if they don't believe they shouldn't care what you are praying or who you are praying to. I think that it would be good to keep atheism out of the schools... some people believe and some people don't believe, it is their choice. It is what I believe in and it is also what I stand up for.
LoveyounoHomo

Con

My opponent clearly misses the point of this debate. Which is should prayer be allowed in schools. It is not wether you believe in one god or other gods its the fact that prayer is something kids do for nothing. Like i said, Muslims, Jews, Christians, ect Pray to a God or Gods.

Praying in school is very distractable. My opponent has waivered around my argument and is not showing any evidence of why praying should be allowed. Again if you have to go out of your way to pray in a learning enviroment it is distractable to many people.

"I think it would be good to keep atheism out of the schools...". You are clearly keeping them out, so why shouldnt we keep praying out of schools? They both are beliefs, except atheists arent as distracting. They do not have to pray, or bless there food. They realize that praying is a superstition like i have stated in my first argument.

My opponent is right when he states "Some people believe and some people don't believe, it is their choice", but at the expense of education it isnt right.

Once again, keep praying out of schools, it would clearly be a better move to everyone
Vote CON!
Thank-you
dirtbiker0405

Pro

No do not keep prayer out of schools!! It is perfectly legal to pray in schools it is not legal to teach religion in schools. Perhaps no aspect of the church-state controversy arouses more emotion and discussion than the subject of prayer in the public schools. After all, public schools are supported with taxpayer money. What believer would want his taxes to support an institution that prohibits his children from praying? What nonbeliever would want her taxes to support an institution that requires her children to participate in prayer?

Fortunately, the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects both believers and nonbelievers from such a situation by mandating government neutrality between belief and nonbelief. The government--through its proxy, the educators and administrators who facilitate our schools--may not lead children in prayer or force them to pray a certain way. However, all children have the right to pray voluntarily before, during, or after school, and nonreligious children do not have to pray at all.

Yet some believers think they know better than the Founding Fathers and want to tamper with the Bill of Rights. They want to amend the U.S. Constitution so that the Government would legally sponsor and take over the activity of prayer. The purpose of this page is to provide an overview of the controversy by providing links to all sides of the issue. Students already have the right to pray and read the Bible in public schools; no one is suggesting that right be taken from them. Rather, the question is, should the government lead students in prayer in public schools?
LoveyounoHomo

Con

My opponent has copy and pasted this last argument. I am sorry that this has happened. Although i do thank-my opponent for starting this debate.

Again i show my points

1. It will lead to distraction and controversy not needed in school

2. Kids do not realize what they are doing

3. Prayer is a superstition. Which is basically a waste of time.

I would like to thank my opponent for taking his time to copy and paste.
Vote CON
Posted by thereal_yeti 7 years ago
thereal_yeti
Prayer SHOULD be allowed, AND is allowed in school..

As in, before and after class.. This is where the people on the pro prayer in school irritates me. Instead of letting their flock know that this IS the situation, that kids ARE allowed to pray in the hall ways, with fellow believers, they paint a picture where kids are punished for merely MENTIONING jesus.

BUT, prayer should NOT take up any class time..

Than to add to it, like CON pointed out. They not only want THEIR rights, they wan't the other side to SHUT UP..

I remember in school, all the christians with their pro-christ T-shirts, and shirts pretty much stating you have no life, unless you have christ. But one of my friends wore a shirt that showed a stick figure throwing away a cross, he got into TROUBLE for it..

What is with the blantant double standard? I should be able to voice my opinion, but you keep yours to yourself!

Christians should be able to tought the bible in the hallways, but atheists should be able to mock(the concept of) god, it is a double edge sword.
Posted by mattvauxhall 8 years ago
mattvauxhall
School by its nature is where we come together and so it needs to focus on teaching and leaviing controversy at the door....People have strong views about religion and school is not the place to express it...you can teach about different religions but prayer should be kept away.....
Posted by hellodude 8 years ago
hellodude
i would like to know where dirtbiker copy and pasted, if u can prove it would be appreciated, i would like to have praying in schools, just for the reason that it shouldn't bother other people, and that we(god or God believers) shoudl be allowed to pray in schools, if it bothers others then they can go to a different room or someplace else, it would also be good for 'advertisment' for Canada or the US or anywhere really, so that if its not allowed then people are allowed to show thier religion to others, especially if they arent allowed at home then they have to have some sort of cummunication with whoever they believe in. so yeah thats why i believe it should be..... :) i vote yes
Posted by puppyluvz 8 years ago
puppyluvz
LoveyounoHomo... .HOW do you know dirtbiker0405 copy and pasted?
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
Good one
Posted by KyleLumsden 8 years ago
KyleLumsden
Who's a liar? An assertion like that needs some explanation, otherwise it's just an ad LoveyounoHomonem attack.
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
No, you agree with the person who wrote that

Unless you agree with a liar?
Thats just me
Posted by Rodriguez47 8 years ago
Rodriguez47
I Agree with the pro. Mainly because the dollar bill which everyone uses says, "In God We Trust". jus b'cuz of that.
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
Felip, i said that because i was in a debate.
Leave your religious bias out of this website, there is already enough corruption going on around here
Posted by felipmartin 8 years ago
felipmartin
i just started this debate.org account, how am i already going to be in a debate? im new here!
Vote Placed by felipmartin 8 years ago
felipmartin
dirtbiker0405LoveyounoHomoTied
Vote Placed by Bboo 8 years ago
Bboo
dirtbiker0405LoveyounoHomoTied
Vote Placed by Its-you-or-me 8 years ago
Its-you-or-me
dirtbiker0405LoveyounoHomoTied
Vote Placed by purplemustard03 8 years ago
purplemustard03
dirtbiker0405LoveyounoHomoTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
dirtbiker0405LoveyounoHomoTied
Vote Placed by row4glstr 8 years ago
row4glstr
dirtbiker0405LoveyounoHomoTied
Vote Placed by dirtbiker0405 8 years ago
dirtbiker0405
dirtbiker0405LoveyounoHomoTied
Vote Placed by medmoney 8 years ago
medmoney
dirtbiker0405LoveyounoHomoTied
Vote Placed by bobby123 8 years ago
bobby123
dirtbiker0405LoveyounoHomoTied
Vote Placed by wlola_23 8 years ago
wlola_23
dirtbiker0405LoveyounoHomoTied