toneice
Stonewall

should those both involved in a inappropriate relationship face equal consequences

toneice

Con

Both participants involved in a inappropriate relation should face the same consequence for example if a student and a teacher have a relationship and get caught both he or she should face consequences cause there both involved
Stonewall

Pro

Well, I accepted this debate because I thought I was taking the Con side. Oops. Anyways, I think I can handle it. I take that the first round is for acceptance only. I am taking the Pro side, saying that, within reason, both involved in an inappropriate relationship should be punished. After you, Con. I look forward to our debate.
toneice

Con

ohh okay the adult in the situation should have the most consequences because they know better there the ones in charge so they should take responsabilty because there grown and should take charge of the situation
Stonewall

Pro

I don't know where you come from or what your sexual education was like, but most teenagers have more than just basic knowledge of the consequences of sexual activity. I'm sure most know what sex is by the time they enter middle school, and know you can have babies from doing it by the time they leave (learning either from school, parents, or their dirty-talking friends on the bus). In high school, most teenagers get a good run-down of all the fun things they can get from having sexual relations (Herpes, Gonorrhea, HIV, just to name a few). Any teenager (let's say 14 and over for the sake of the debate) can tell you that not-so-good things can (and do) happen when you have sex. Despite what mainstream media might say about the generation, teens are not dumb. Theyare more mature than they've ever been. (http://www.scientificamerican.com...) ("But Stonewall, that article says that mature teens are reckless, like adults!") Exactly, like adults. If such teens aren't to blame for their reckless behavior, then why are adults? After all, the brain patterns are stikingly similar. Adults have the same basic functions as these "reckless" teenagers do, so they should face equal blame and punishment.

I understand: Adults have more world experience than these teens do. I suppose I can't really argue with that. But most sexual situations regarding adults and teens are typically in that 15/25-year-old range. Recent studies also find that 25 is the new age for leaving adolescence. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk...) That's not a "Our society is too lenient!" thing, but more of a science- our brains are still developing at that age. That keeps with the idea that most adults who are involved with that sort of relationship are in as much of a biological pickle as their younger significant others.

I mean, if the relationship is between a 50-year-old man and a 13-year-old girl (or vice-versa), I can't really say they should face equal punishment. That'd be pushing it. But that's not how most major age difference relationships work. Like I said, it's mostly in that 10-year-range, and usually not that wide. They all have that same basic grasp of "This is not okay." Would similar punishments be faced if a 21-year-old had a relationship with a 36-year-old? Of course not. They might get the odd sideways glance from their friends and family, but that's all. 15 years is no biggy. So why should it be a big deal when the relationship is a five-year difference between a 21-year-old and a 16-year-old?

toneice

Con

My opponent makes a good point but adults should take the responsibility no matter how hard the child may through themselves at them that's just the same as a prostitute throwing thereselves at you you knowing that this person may have a disease it up to you if your going to take charge. when I was in high school one of the teachers slept with the student yes she did through her self at him but he was 35 years old he could have took responsibility and reported her but no he took this as an opportunity to get layed and guess who got punished him not her . he took advantage of the studying so yeah you are grown you should know when you go to court the judge doesn't care about the child no matter if they through themselves on you there always going to look at the sick person who advantage of the poor child. How many case have you seen and on the adult is being punished think about it when you see a case like this your going to think about this person this sick. when I see this on the news everyday its always the same thing the adult should have took control and said no and that's just that. Adults should be punished because the should know better and take charge of the situation by reporting it cause in the end the one who will suffer the most is them.
Stonewall

Pro

Most, if not all, of your points can easily be written off if teens were to be punished as much as adults.

"...she did through her self at him but he was 35 years old he could have took responsibility and reported her but no he took this as an opportunity to get layed and guess who got punished him not her . [sic]"

Are you trying to imply that the student didn't know of the consequences? I'd wager my last dime that she knew perfectly well the consequences of having such questionable sex. The only reason she didn't fear any punishment is because she knew she wouldn't get in trouble for it. This speaks volumes about such teenagers... any who have the ability to manipulate people, weigh their options, and not fear repercussions due to their age is old enough to be and should be held accountable despite their age.

"...there always going to look at the sick person who advantage of the poor child."

Unless both were held equally accountable, in which case it'd be evident that this "poor child" is simply a manipulative, conniving, and mature adult despite their age.

"...when I see this on the news everyday its always the same thing the adult should have took control and said no and that's just that."

It's strange that all of your examples involve the teenager pressuring the adult. As I said before, this makes it evident that teenagers who can make such informed decisions and choose to get away with their acts just because the other person's older shows how mature their minds are, and thus should be held equally accountable.

"Adults should be punished... cause in the end the one who will suffer the most is them."

Unless both are punished equally.

As you can see, my opponent simply reiterated the same points and showed nothing to refute the ones pointed out in the previous round. In conclusion, a teenager who is mature enough to exploit flaws in the legal system is mature enough to be punished as much as an adult. Vote Pro.
Posted by toneice 4 years ago
toneice
good debate stonewalll although personally i think you would have won thanks alot it was fun