should "under God" be taken out of the pledge

Con Tied Pro

While I think that there's a logic in the seperation between church and state, I don't understand how taking "under God" out of the pledge allegiance would solve this delimma? Our nation was founded upon Christian beliefs, Christianity being a monotheistic religion. I believe that if people really have such a problem with it, that they need to get over it. It's all about majority over minority and the majority of America is of a monotheistic religion.

Congress says that it's unconstitutional to leave it in there because we are so diverse as a nation, but I believe that it's MORE unconstitutional to take it out.

I await my opponents response.

Thank you navygirlfriend_x3 for starting this debate.

There has never been and never will be a connection between the church and state within the United States. the dilemma my opponent speaks of does not exist.

The U.S. Constitution prohibits the government from supporting one religion over another. The U.S. Constitution is the supreme law of the U.S.; so, any act that opposes the Constitution is unconstitutional, it cannot exist. The phrase "under God" subordinates polytheistic minority beliefs to the monotheistic majority beliefs. This is unconstitutional. Therefore, it cannot exist in the U.S. Also, the majority means nothing.

I await my opponent's response. Good luck!

Since the beginning of the constitution, America has been a Christian nation as I said before. Capital punishment exists, do you not believe that it violates the constition and the 8th ammendment? It in not our job to judge whether people live or die, and even if noone wants to admit it, there really is only ONE God and when it comes down to it, I think that taking the "under God" out of it, is disrespectful to a majority of the nation and to God himself.

Tell me how often you hear people complaing about how it says God on the U.S money? It's because people benefit from it. If you want to take "under God" out of the pledge, then we would also have to change the lyrics to many songs that have been song since the civil war such as "america the beautiful" and "God bless America".
When tragic events happen in America history, what do many (even most) people turn to? I higher power, the one person they know can bring hope and change more than any human, God.

Thanks for your respons

Thank you for the response.

Just because the majority of the U.S. was Christian does not define the U.S. as a Christian nation.

Capital punishment is not cruel or unusual punishment. It does not violate the Constitution.

My opponent claims that there is only one God. And as she cannot prove the existence of a God or many Gods, her argument is not valid. Furthermore, it is not disrespectful to take out "under God" as the phrase would only be applicable to the citizens of the U.S. that believe in a monotheistic religion. This does not apply to the remaining citizens. But if the phrase was taken out of the pledge of allegiance, it applies to every citizen of the U.S.

People do not complain as they have grown used to it or because it could not matter less to them. Actually saying they believe in a monotheistic religion is against their beliefs.

People could believe in a polytheistic religion, in which case the higher power is many Gods.

I await my opponent's response.

navygirlfriend_x3 forfeited this round.

karththegeld forfeited this round.
Posted by TheSkeptic 7 years ago
"Tell me how often you hear people complaing about how it says God on the U.S money?"

----> I do. Michael Newdow does.
Posted by crackofdawn 7 years ago
You don't really refute most of his points. You refute SOME, then go off on your own. I agree with navygirlfriend but this debate had so much more potential, I gave navygirlfriend better arguments because she brought up better points and as the opposition, PRO, did not prove his case to me.
Posted by ViRiUnCteSiGnUmRuTiLuS46 7 years ago
I said that wrong. I meant to agree with what theitalianstallion said.
Posted by karththegeld 7 years ago
How do I not pay attention to Con?
Posted by theitalianstallion 7 years ago
That was not a compliment. He was saying you did not adequetly refute your opponents points and really, only stated your opinion.
Posted by navygirlfriend_x3 7 years ago
PRO pays almost no attention to CON...
Vote Placed by theitalianstallion 7 years ago