SHETTY
Sssomeone

"should voting be done online"

Sssomeone

SHETTY

Con

No, I completely disagree with the fact that voting should not be done online as there can be many discrepancy while voting online there can be fraud to....now talking about the largest democracy in the world that is the USA too does not follow this type of voting.......if the fact arises that some people do not vote by coming in the booths.....it's for their betterment that they can vote online...I completely disagree by saying that if they can't come to vote they do not deserve to vote...thereby I remain unchanged in my stance...becoZ I believe ballot voting is the best method of voting
Sssomeone

Pro

Hello Sheety! This is my first debate here so it"s a pleasure to do it with you! If I make any mistakes with my presentation please let me know. Onto my argument.

Voting is the essential basis of a democratic government; it ensures that the people are fairly represented so that the best leader can be found. It is essential that in a democratic society all of its members are represented equally, however my opponent would seem to disagree with this simple fact, stating that "if they can't come to vote they do not deserve to vote". This means that people or peoples who have busy lifestyles where the time to vote may be very precious to them, or live in rural areas where the nearest voting location is a distance away "do not deserve to vote". In reality we should be encouraging all people to vote, thus a fair representation of the citizen's interests can be measured. The bias caused by the restrictive nature of ballet voting can be seen very clearly in many locations, For example during the American 2014 midterm elections 37% of voters where over 60, while only 12% where under 30 years old[1]. The reason college students do not vote is 34.7% that they are too busy, or have conflicting work [2]. It is clear that the voting system needs to be made more effective and allowing online voting would easily improve this issue, allowing a fairer representation of all people and thus a more democratic society. My opponent also argues that online voting can cause discrepancy and fraud, however fails to back up these arguments with any evidence. I cannot argue against these until my opponent is able to back them up.

[1]https://www.youtube.com... (The Young Turks "Old people run the country")
[2]http://www.civicyouth.org...
SHETTY

Con

Sir I completely agree with the fact that voting is the essential basis of democracy....I said those statement because in country like USA and INDIA all the people going to work is being given a half dae leave or a holiday to vote ....but some of them use this holiday to stay at home or go for a trip sir.....this for them...now talking about the evidence for the frauds in internet...sir u should be clear with the fact that there have being a lot of hacking in internet if my opponent is not aware about it I give a suggestion to read newspapers...now talking about what my opponent said about the people living in rural area...sir they are people from rural area not urban n who will provide them internet....if provided still frauds can be don
Sssomeone

Pro

My opponent has presented a very interesting argument, however it is flawed. Firstly my opponent makes the statement "" the people going to work is being given a half dae leave or a holiday to vote "" however this does not disprove the statistics presented in the previous argument, young people are still voting less and most young people are not voting because they are too busy or have conflicting work, regardless of the holiday, and as such a more accessible voting system is required, i.e. internet voting. My opponent brings up hacking in the internet; I am well aware of it. I have recently studied Information Technology and that includes security, database management and networks. I am well-schooled on the issues and methods of hacking and believe I am qualified to talk on the subject. On the contrary my opponent has still failed to provide an example of how exactly an online voting service can be hacked, beyond "a lot of hacking in internet". However internet voting is more efficient as computers can more effectively calculate the results and it reduces human error in comparison to paper voting where human error is a very prominent issue. Actually one of the largest issues of fraud in voting is people who vote more than once either at the same location or separate locations. One of the main reasons nothing has been done to prevent this is the cost of implementing the system, however should online voting be introduced the cost would be substantially less, almost non-existent [1]. Thus online voting may actually be safer from fraud then conventional techniques. My opponent also argues that rural people do not have access to the internet to vote with; however this is a blatant fallacy. Most rural communities have internet access, in many countries internet access is considered a basic right, including Costa Rica, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece and Spain. I have been to rural areas that are a two hour drive from the nearest down as the crow flies, and still have access to basic satellite internet; it was slow, but still capable of casting a vote with. Unless my opponent can back up his statement and disprove the evidence I presented then this is simply not true. As it stands two European countries have already successfully upgraded to internet voting (Estonia and Switzerland) [2] and it would be beneficial for other nations to do that same.

[1]http://www.washingtonpost.com...
[2] http://www.eui.eu...
SHETTY

Con

points well noted...but are u trying to say that young people have no tym...sir they can't remove just 1 hour frm their work time..by they can party ryt...sir I appritiate that u have IT baground but sir do u ssly don't know that nowadays hacking is so simple...sir nowadays it is so simple to do fraud in a currency note so this is just a internet..sir u spoke about rural areas having internet...sir than they are no more rural...coming to connectivity.. Sir China one of the developed nation have internet connections limited,check it out..sir talking about the Estonian and the swiz govt adopting this method..sir first check their population.sir still I say the worlds largest democracy still does not follow this method. HAD A gud debate 😃 😉
Sssomeone

Pro

Thank you for your response. My opponent once again brings up hacking; however what he is speaking of seems conflicting and unsure. forged currency is essentially impossible on the internet and has no relation to this argument. Now my opponent stated "China one of the developed nation have internet connections limited" however, firstly, China is still classified as a third world country, as many parts of China are still below the poverty line. Regardless of this China has grown rapidly in its internet penetration, from 1.78% in 2000 to 46.03% in 2014. My opponent brings up the population of the two nations I mentioned, however my argument wasn't that online voting is common, but it has been successful in other nations.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
They should get rid of all electronic voting. Too easy to hack in and change elections. There should be a paper trail to follow if there is a challenge.And a person should prove he /she is eligible to vote. Saying minorities are too stupid to get an I.D.should be insulting to minorities.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
SHETTYSssomeoneTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Tie. Both had proper conduct throughout the debate. S&G - Pro. Con had several spelling and grammar errors in nearly every round. Thus, I award these points to Pro. I will say this to Pro though, try to add some more space in-between your paragraphs. It's a strain on the eyes to read an entire block of text. Just a heads up for future reference. Arguments - Pro. Con presented a compelling case, but unfortunately lacked fundamental evidence necessary to validate his claims. By lacking such evidence, this allowed Pro to provide rebuttals that defeated the conjecture-based arguments of Con. Con also conceded to several arguments raised by Pro. Due to Pro being able to maintain his BOP, I award arguments to him. Sources - Pro. Con failed to utilize sources in this debate whereas Pro did. Clear win for Pro.