yaseminandjordan
Jellyfysh624

should we all be vegetarians?

yaseminandjordan

Pro

I think we should all be vegetarians because we are animals and we are eating other animals so it is basically like you are a canibal. If we do eat animals the population will lower. I know they tastes really good but think about it.
Jellyfysh624

Con

If it is canablistic to for any animal to eat another animal, then that means every carnivour and scavanger are canables.

How is the animal population relevant to how people should satisfy their dietary needs.

Some people should be vegetarian, because they dont wish to eat meat.

Some people should choose to eat meat, because they do wish to eat meat.

Plenty of other species of animals are naturaly carvinvorus, why should decide to do the unnatural and exclude meat from our diets.
yaseminandjordan

Pro

yaseminandjordan forfeited this round.
Jellyfysh624

Con

The fact that my opponents claims is prescriptive one should hurt its generalizability. Just because one thing may be the best choice for some doesnt mean it should apply to everyone.

yaseminandjordan

Pro

yaseminandjordan forfeited this round.
Jellyfysh624

Con

Jellyfysh624 forfeited this round.
Posted by whatisthemind 2 years ago
whatisthemind
LOL 'I am a southerner therefore ethics do not apply to me'
Posted by Sbear 2 years ago
Sbear
I absolutely agree with you, over population is a big issue, but if you really look at it, what humans are doing by producing livestock, is overpopulation. The USDA has said that there are between 1.3-1.5 billion cows in the meat and dairy industry. These cows do this wonderful thing called "grazing," which, on its own, is actually very good for the environment; however, due to the huge overpopulation of cows, there has been a huge negative impact on the environment, the most prominent of which being the extinction of over 50,000 species". Yeah. So yes, I agree that when it it necessary, people should step in to control overpopulation; however, the idea of growing enough cattle for 7 billion people to survive off of is overpopulation in itself. I just want to point out that 7 billion people is, in fact, way more than our planet can support, and so, if we were to throw the livestock industry out the window and just go with hunting, do you really think that there would be enough animals out there to support everyone on our planet being meat-eaters? I see your point, but from an environmental perspective, the idea that everyone should eat meat is just simply impossible.
Posted by Georgiaheartandsoul 2 years ago
Georgiaheartandsoul
Also if you DONT eat the animals, the population will become TOO populated and we will be overrun will animals. You can be a vegetarian if you want to but good luck telling everyone else they need to be one.
Posted by Sbear 2 years ago
Sbear
Okay" wow. So, the reason that lions don't eat salads is because they can't. First of all, lions don't have the proper enzymes to break down plant molecules, meaning that plants will get stuck in their system, and make them violently ill, something that they are aware of. Secondly, lions are huge creatures, meaning that they require a huge supply of iron and protein, something that a plant-based diet can't give them considering that they don't live in an environment that grows protein and iron heavy plants. Thirdly, they don't have herbivore teeth, meaning that they can't actually break down plants in their mouth. So yeah, my argument still stands". Also, I'm not forcing you to become vegetarian, that is your choice. I'm only explaining why I think the lifestyle is better. And by the way, "there are millions more who agree with me," is not an argument. Just because the masses think you're right, doesn't mean that you are. Millions of people thought that women getting the right to vote was wrong. Millions thought that it was okay to beat your wife if she went against you. Millions doesn't always make it right.
(P.s I'm Canadian and we put the percentage sign in front of the number)
Georgiaheartandsoul
Well I don't know about you Sbear, but I am a southerner and I am NOT giving up fried chicken and country fried steak and catfish and beef and eggs and whatever else you can name. I'm not becoming a vegetarian just because someone wants me to. There are millions more who will agree with me. Also, lions don't eat meat ONLY because they have to. Put a salad and a steak in front of a lion and see which one he eats whether he's hungry or not.
(P.s. I think the percent sign goes AFTER the number)
Posted by NoahMuns 2 years ago
NoahMuns
Ever had a freshly hunted elk steak? It's better then any plant you'll ever eat
Posted by Sbear 2 years ago
Sbear
Human beings should not eat meat for many reasons. First of all, animals eat meat because they have to, not because they want to. Note that between meals, a lion spends at least three days essentially "starving itself." It is only when the lion has to eat that it will hunt. This clearly isn't true for humans. There are many people who survive on vegetarian and vegan-based diets. In fact, there are many studies out now proving that vegetarianism may actually be very healthy. Harvard published an article not very long ago saying that vegetarians are %25 less likely to die of heart diseases, the biggest killer in America. However, I do agree that eating animals does not qualify as cannibalism. Cannibalism is by scientific definition the consumption of another being of the same species, so although I side with pro vegetarianism, the idea that eating animals is cannibalism is not accurate".
Georgiaheartandsoul
We are phisically able to eat both plants AND meat. Why Should we eat only one? Cannibalism is defined as the practice or act of a human eating another human. By eating a hamburger, I am eating a cow, not a person, which therefore makes it non-cannibalistic. Besides, bacon tastes good.