should we choose between history and geogrphy as cousrses

this is an argument of should we choose in between geography and history courses

I accept this debate challenge, however I am not sure what side I am on. I understand pro, but is the topic pro history or geography?

Con, please state your stance and make your initial arguments, so I can know what side I am on.

I look forward to debating you. Good luck!

if we should choose between geograph and history or...we should manditorily just study gegraphy and hitory

I still don't fully understand the topic, but I will continue to debate. Sadly, my opponent has wasted a round and he has not presented any arguments or stated his stance. So, I will be assuming the stance that we should mandatorily study geography and history.

In order to get my point across, I would like to present one reason each why the studies of geography and history are both important.

First off is geography.
Argument 1: We should study geography because it helps in the modern world when students grow up. For example, many people in today's world do not know where basic states and countries are. For example, in the video that can be found at, Harvard students were interviewed and asked what the capital of Canada was, and none of them knew. Also, in this video titled "Why we need to teach geography", ( 8th and 12th graders were given geography assessments. 74% of 8th graders had a basic geography understanding, and only 24% had a proficient geography understanding, while a mere 3% had an advanced level geography understanding. And in 12th grade, the percentages were even lower. In the same video, Americans were asked simple geography questions that they could not answer. This is impactful because it shows that we need to stress teaching geography and history in schools.

Next, history.
Argument 2: We should study history because, once again, it helps with understanding of the world, especially with government officials. You know that little kid who lives down the street? He could grow up to be the next president, or congressman, or even mayor, but he was never taught history, so he has no idea how a government is run, let alone how to run his own. He influences higher individuals (if he isn't president) in his wrong running ways, and tears the country into shreds. If this isn't a strong enough example for you, watch the video linked here, This video shows Americans asked why we celebrate the 4th of July, and, no surprise, they simply could not answer it. This is impactful because this argument shows how we need geography.

Since I have now shown why both history and geography are vital to be taught, I believe I have won this debate. So, a message to all voters: vote for me! I wish luck to my opponent in the voting polls and hope that the roll my way. Good luck Con!
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro actually argued for... something.