Tras45
Impartial

should we progess with work into a an AI that can think like a human?

Started: 4/21/2016 Category: Technology

Tras45

Con

After building robots for years, we are making artificial intelligents! but is it a good thing? probably not, because, what if I tries to wipe out humanity? what do we do then huh? we sit back and die! that's what!
Impartial

Pro

AI isn't being developed specifically for armed military robots. We won't suddenly hear of a machine that passes the Turing test and the next day goes on a killing frenzy because it's scared the humans will turn it off. The development of AI as with any technology is important for human development. What if one day we create AI that can invent new products for us by evaluating human needs by processing all the digital content in the world? New medicines? Anything? It is reasonable to assume that the potential of AI could surpass the human brain even.
Tras45

Con

true, but, what happens if we do develop AI?
honestly, we trust so much into this AI stuff that we may have to much trusted on it.
so really we could die by this, maybe, maybe not, so I say we don't do AI.
Impartial

Pro

We have already developed basic forms of AI. What if we do develop an advanced form of AI that passes the turing test? It'll be a massive achievement in that field of study and most likely it'll be a computer programme, not a war robot or anything capable of causing harm. Don't you think the people who are smart enough to develop this stuff are also smart enough to make sure it doesn't destroy the human race?

I don't know what proportion of science spending goes towards it but I'm sure whoever funds it can afford to speculate on the potential benefits AI may have to offer. Good for them I say!

What do you mean by 'we could die by this?' Please explain why your concerns outweigh the potential benefits of AI to the extent that we should completely abandon all R&D in it.
Tras45

Con

Tras45 forfeited this round.
Impartial

Pro

A computer programme that thinks like a human would not be a threat to humanity. It simply wouldn't be designed to have the capability to cause harm.

Nobody knows what the distant future holds for the development of AI and its applications, but the concerns that it may become a threat, does not warrant stopping all the hard work that has already been done. The potential benefits of advancing the technology outweigh the fears expressed by people who don't fully understand it.
Posted by dude100 1 year ago
dude100
Personally I believe the AI is a fascinating achievement in modern robotics. Combat drones are better than human pilots and give us a huge edge in combat. They are constantly improving themselves and there are design restrictions that prevent drones from randomly killing people. I think over time they'll gain intelligence like us but are far away from achieving that because their intelligence is that of a single celled organism. We could design one that could study and learn to be like us, but that would be it's primary function. It wouldn't want anything else because it wouldn't need anything else. By the time robots have human intelligence, they'll have no reason to kill us because they'll basically be just like us. I'm actually seriously interested in trying to create an AI like that but I'll need to learn how to code first lol. I know basic programming but I've barely scratched the surface, I want to take my education further.
Posted by Hoob 1 year ago
Hoob
As a computer programmer I can tell you, you have nothing to really worry about. Computers are dumb as butts. They are seriously the dumbest things in the universe, the only thing they are really good for are mathematical calculations. The human brain does millions of more complex calculations than a computer, but it has to do things like breathing, seeing, recognizing, checking needs, operating organs, etc. which wastes a lot of the brains processing power.
Posted by lyokowarri0r 1 year ago
lyokowarri0r
lol..."we don't do AI".
We might as well go forward because of how far away we are from getting there. Why would the AI even want to kill humans? That seems so random to do.