bryce_mcfarland
David2000

should you be able to get married at the age of 15

David2000

bryce_mcfarland

Pro

I think they should be able to because when they have a baby they can not care for it if they are not married.
David2000

Con

I would first of all like to state that I hereby completely disagree with the statement that you should be allowed to be married at the age of 15. I shall be making several points on why it is wrong, immoral and should not be allowed to happen in this first round of three. The first point that I would like to make is the point that the current age of consent for marriage, both in the United Kingdom and in many American States , is 16 years old. Even then you must have parental and judicial approval before you can legally be married. Also it is important to note that the majority of teenagers have never been in a relationship for more than 4 years maximum. So, would it really be worthwhile lowering the age of which a person can get married?

Another very important point that I wish to make is the fact that the age before a child can have sex is 16. It is very important to realise that sex is a large factor in any relationship. Sex is a subject that must be discussed in any relationship, long before the prospect of marriage is even considered. My biggest fear is that lower the age limit for marriage will promote more young people to have sex at an age when they are not ready too. I also fear that it will cause children to make rushed decisions about marriage, and not only end up regretting it but also end up in divorce.

Another point that I would like to make is one of deep concern. In my honourable opponents first point, he says "they should be able to because when they have a baby they can not care for it if they are not married." This statement makes me worry severely that children as young as 15 are having children. If a woman under the legal age of consent has sex with her boyfriend, even if he is also under age and has consented, he will be charged in a court of law. The boyfriend could be charged with statutory rape which would mean his name going onto the sex offenders register. There it is also always the possibility that the boyfriend would have to serve a sentence in a jail.

It is also deeply concerning that my opponent thinks that marriage means that adequate care can be provided. Just because two people decide to marry each other does NOT mean underage circumstances that they will be able to provide for a child. Never mind that, a 15 year old should never be in a position where she is pregnant, not only because it is illegal but also because it is wrong. Nor is marriage something that as many people think about in this current economic depression that we are, slowly but surely recovering from.

It is imperative that the age in which marriage is allowed stays at the age of 16. If anything I believe that the age that someone can get married is raised to a more suitable age such as 18. Then you are not a child, under the eyes of the law, and would not require any consent from parents or a judge.
bryce_mcfarland

Pro

bryce_mcfarland forfeited this round.
David2000

Con

As my opponent has forfeited this round, I can not make any rebuttles as he has made no further points for me to scrutinise. I also have no further points that I wish to make during this round. Thank you
bryce_mcfarland

Pro

bryce_mcfarland forfeited this round.
David2000

Con

As my opponent has once again forfeited this round, I do not have much I would wish to add. Therefore I shall conclude this debate very briefly. As it is the age of marriage is already quite low and wishing to lower it further is both ludicrous and very ridiculous. I urge you all to vote for me the opposition for several reasons. I believe it is fair too suggest that many people support me in this argument before hearing the arguments made and I believe that I made many good points, all of which I backed up with evidence, although I didn't feel the need to reference anything. I would like to ask you all to vote for wisely and if you haven't already, please read the points that I made. Thanks
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
Where is this an issue?
Posted by Daniel_Nemes 2 years ago
Daniel_Nemes
Marriage is not needed to care for a child. Marriage is simply the sign of the union of woman and man.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
bryce_mcfarlandDavid2000Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff