fightforrights16
CosmoJarvis

show chior is a sport

Started: 3/8/2017 Category: Music

fightforrights16

Pro

most people that say show choir is not a sport are NOT in show choir. i have practice 3 times a week, i have saturday practices, i compete every weekkend, i work and sweat. dancing is a sport, show choir is dacning, singing, technique, acting and facials, all mixed together. so maybe try being in show choir before saying its not a sport
CosmoJarvis

Con

Singing: to utter words or sounds in succession with musical modulations of the voice (Dictionary.com)

Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. (Oxford Dictionary)

Physical: Bodily contact or activity (Oxford Dictionary)

Choir and singing
is not a sport because, why it may involve, as my opponent claims, a fair amount of practice, energy, and competitions, it is not a competitive physical activity such as basketball or baseball.

My opponent's main claims as to why choir should be classified as a sport are because he practices singing a lot, competes, works hard and sweats. Yes, sports do involve a lot of devotion and practice, and normally has competitions, these qualities do not necessarily mean that an activity is considered a "sport." Art, for example, is an activity that involves a lot of practice. The most devoted artists go as far as to give their sweat and blood (from papercuts). Sometimes, there are art competitions. However, even though art possesses these qualities, it is not a "sport."
fightforrights16

Pro

you seem to be forgetting the dance part of show choir which can last up to twenty minutes. thats 20 minutes of fast paced dancing and movement along with singing and acting. if you got up and danced hard for 20 minutes straight i can garuntee you would be axhausted. now just regular choir where you stand and sing in place is different. show choir is a mixing of all kinds of things. show choir fits the definition of a sport; it is a physical activity that requires skill and we compete against other teams for entertainment. yes the singing part can be considered an art but the dancing and all that show choir includes makes it sport
CosmoJarvis

Con

Yes, some choirs "dance" a wee bit while singing to liven up the show, but simply because some choirs choose to dance doesn't mean that, by default, singing must be considered a sport. Many choirs simply stand up, sing songs for a fair amount of time, and finish. My chorus class hardly made any gestures or did any "dancing." We would simply stand up, sing songs (out of tune and not following the rhythm, might I add) and finish. We didn't exert any physical actions other than use our voice, and stand up for around 20 minutes. That is not a sport.
fightforrights16

Pro

your not really understanding what I'm saying. middle school choirs barley move but high school show choirs are a different story. show choir is both a art AND a sport. singing is the art part, the dancing and competing is the sport portion. you must understand that we don't sing out of tune, we do dynamics, get voice teachers, and so much more. there are so many things we have to do at the same time: dance at a high level, dress changes, facials, acting, breathing technique, dynamics, dance technique. we work out all the time because we have to have strong arms and sometimes even lift people up. we don't just move our arms slightly.... we move across the stage and kick our legs around and throw our arms up and do flips and lift people. people have passed out afterwards from working so hard. i cant breathe after performing and I'm sweating up a storm.
CosmoJarvis

Con

My opponent's arguments are as followed: choir is a sport because you sweat, practice a lot, and occasionally dance.

In my years of Middle School Chorus, and watching my friends in the high school choir, I have found nothing to suggest that choir is a sport. Yes, while some choirs may physically exert themselves during a performance such as dancing, it does not mean that choir in its entirety is to be defined as a sport. As I have previously stated, the very definition of singing is to utter words or sounds musically. Nowhere in its definition does it suggest any physical activity aside from the use of one's voice.

Because not all choirs dance or do any physical activities aside from singing, choir is not a sport.

My opponent has not explained how all choirs do physical activities whilst singing, only using personal experiences to back his claims, he has failed to produce a valid argument for why choir should be defined as a sport.
fightforrights16

Pro

sweetheart..... i said SHOW choir, not choir. choir is much different than SHOW choir. the singing part is the art, its sound. the dance makes it also a sport. I've been in show choir for years and watched them perform since i was a kid. we are always kicked out of the sport category while we are both an art AND a sport. so yes i agree that it can be considered an art because it makes you feel something BUT it requires physical activity and competition just like any other sport.
CosmoJarvis

Con

Yes, show choir can involve some "dancing," but sometimes the "dancing" aspect can be something as simple as waving your hands, or kicking your legs. According to sources such as a website known as Perform Those Arts, while show choir may have some physical activity, because it is an activity with no clear-cut victory conditions.

I ask that my opponent explain more about the physical conditioning that show choir expects and what is typically involved in a show. As of now, my opponent has failed to properly explain this, and has only used personal accounts to support his argument, which are both less credible, and subject to exaggeration.
fightforrights16

Pro

some show choirs require higher, more intense workouts than others but normally it includes; dancing for up to 6 hours straight, we do a camp over the summer which is all working out and gaining strength. we run, we do strength workouts. just like any other sport. also..... SHOW CHOIR IS NOT SIMPLE MOVEMENTS. UGH. you were in middle school show choir which is lets be honest.. not really show choir, more of a choir with some dance moves. show choir is acting, hard dancing all while trying not to pass out from breathing so hard. i bet after 8 minutes of intense dancing you would be breathing and sweating like crazy. try twenty minutes of nonstop.
CosmoJarvis

Con

My opponent elegantly ends his argument by shouting "SHOW CHOIR IS NOT SIMPLE MOVEMENTS. UGH," denouncing my middle school show choir with "let's be honest.. [your middle school show choir is] not really show choir..." and indirectly challenging me to a dance-off.

Because my opponent has repeatedly failed to present evidence on how Show Choir, in studios and schools outside of his own, also do physical workouts and such, only relying on his own personal accounts and experiences to support his argument, he has made an argument which is not credible and prone to exaggeration.

My argument still stands that show choir is simply a group that sings, occasionally using physical gestures to add some "pizzazz" in terms of presentation, and not a sport. Universally, show choir (as in schools and organizations outside of my opponent's show choir group) does not use a large amount of physical exertion.
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
I was in choir for my entire Middle School career. Forgetting the lyrics to songs and mouthing words for a few years isn't what I consider to be a sport either.
Posted by What50 1 year ago
What50
I was in choir for 3 years. Yeah it's not that much of a sport lol.
Posted by Vapid_Darkness 1 year ago
Vapid_Darkness
Show choir is not a sport. Its an art. Before you say anything I have been in show choir and no I am not in it now. I am in the band :p
Posted by What50 1 year ago
What50
Just because you work and sweat doesn't make it a sport.