CoronerPerry
knick-knack

silence is golden (the way it should be debated)

CoronerPerry

Pro

I apologize to everybody who read this, and also to my patient opponent knick-knack, who I practically begged to accept the last one. I'm going to give my real arguments on this...

But will still let my opponent start, but before he does, I want to define a few things....

Silence = quiet
Golden = amazing

So the basic idea is that silence is amazing.

I will state the exact topic again

Silence Is Golden.

Good luck neg.
knick-knack

Con

I am assuming that my opponent means that if there was silence all of the time, then it would be amazing.

Still not fully understanding the topic, (please explain in comment section) this is all I have for now:

-While in silence there little human communication, therefore, there is little progression of society.

Your turn.
CoronerPerry

Pro

"I am assuming that my opponent means that if there was silence all of the time, then it would be amazing" as for that statement, the assumption would be incorrect. The meaning is not silence all the time, otherwise the topic would be, "constant silence is golden"

Although, even pretending that the topic was what my opponent assumed, his only point is that there wouldn't be any progression in society, which is false.

There are quite a few different forms of communication, one of which is sign language. Sign language could easily be used in the case that everyone always had to be silent.

Another form of communication is text messaging/IMing/e-mailing. People use these forms of communication constantly. Most teenagers use these forms of communication a lot more than even talking.

Although, that is only if what my opponent assumed was true, which it was not true.

As for the topic, silence is golden. Just being able to have everything be quiet, for even one minute, would be the most golden, the most amazing thing ever. Imagine the feeling, just to relax in the temporary silence.

Thankyou
knick-knack

Con

I am sorry for misunderstanding the topic.

My opponent has not yet constructed a case as to why Silence is Golden. All he has said is-

"Just being able to have everything be quiet, for even one minute, would be the most golden, the most amazing thing ever".

My contention still is

-While in silence there is little human communication, therefore, there is little progression of society

Also there would be no transferring of knowledge, so no education and learning.
There would be no science, or mathematics, or development of government.

For my opponent, not everybody knows sign language, so therefore, little to no communication.

Also not everybody in the world has technology such as phones or the Internet. So these people would not be able to receive information, or be capable of becoming a progressive society.

And there is never a true silence (absence of sound), so the feeling of being in silence does not exist and has never existed. Unless, the person was deaf.

I will wait for my opponent to construct a case in the last round so that I am able to announce a rebuttal.

Vote Con.

Now to Coroner.
CoronerPerry

Pro

"I am sorry for misunderstanding the topic." it's no problem, I don't think anybody will hold it against you.

"My contention still is

-While in silence there is little human communication, therefore, there is little progression of society" although, if I have anything to say about it, I hope the voters will hold this against you. I explained the resolution clearly, and yet you still go with this.

the topic does not say CONSTANT silence, just Silence. the only point that you've ever had has fallen, and yet you brought it back, even after I explained the resolution.

"Also there would be no transferring of knowledge, so no education and learning.
There would be no science, or mathematics, or development of government." again, it is not constant silence...

"For my opponent, not everybody knows sign language, so therefore, little to no communication." for my sign language statement, I was simply speculating a rebuttle to your assumption of COMPLETE silence. besides, if we had complete silence where nobody can talk, society would always create another form of communication.

"Also not everybody in the world has technology such as phones or the Internet. So these people would not be able to receive information, or be capable of becoming a progressive society." true, not all places have technololgy, but again, not CONSTANT silence. even still, if it was that way, these places already aren't progressing much, nothing would change.

"And there is never a true silence (absence of sound), so the feeling of being in silence does not exist and has never existed. Unless, the person was deaf." again, I will give a breakdown of the resolution. "SILENCE IS GOLDEN" nowhere does it say COMPLETE silence. my opponent is putting words into the resolution that are not there. I am simply stating that silence in its own is golden.

To satisfy my opponent, I will give him a lot more to debate about.

Silence, meaning: absence of any sound or noise
Golden, meaning: splendid, glorious, joyous.
-(dictionary.reference.com)

Silence Is Golden, meaning: Silence is of great value.
-(American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition)
or,
Silence Is Golden, meaning: Keeping one's mouth shut is a great virtue, as in Don't tell anyone else about it.
-(American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms)

now if my opponent would have touched on the second definiton, it would still be following the resolution.

there are so many times in life where it is so much better just to keep your mouth shut.

Solomon said: "The one who guards his mouth preserves his life; the one who opens wide his lips comes to ruin". (Pro. 13:3).

These words speak truth. By letting your words out constantly, you can, and most likely will cause problems. think of it this way...

you are in the army, and given private information. your friend asks you about it, and you decide to let your friend in on it. later, you find that your friend was an enemy spy, and you just gave him the information you needed. it would have been much better to just keep your mouth shut.

in another point, your friend is fighting with his wife, and you decide to say something. what you say offends them, and they decide to get a divorce. if you would have followed the old adage: silence is golden, then your friend and his wife would still be together.

but, to hit back on my original definition of silence is golden...

pretend you just had a long day at work... you're extremely exhausted, and you come home to three kids. would you rather the kids be loud and obnoxious, like usual, or would you like them to be silent, so you can relax. I choose silent, because silence is golden.

silence helps a person think, your brain can operate better when there is a lot less noise around you. silence is golden in the form that it can help you learn/study better, and more efficient.

I believe I have presented enough information to prove that silence truly is golden. Vote PRO! :-D

now to knick-knack....
knick-knack

Con

Thank you to my opponent for FINALLY constructing a case.

This topic is built around silence not around human communication, which has sadly been the debate thus far.
which may be my fault...

My contention still remains

-While in silence there is little human communication, therefore, there is little progression of society.

Yes I do understand the resolution but my contention is still the same.

My opponent agrees with my definition of silence meaning the absence of any sound, so the feeling of silence does not and will never exist. (there is no difference between complete silence and silence)

While in silence even if it is brief or momentary. There would be no communication between human beings, therefore no development of society for that period of time, however long.

Now for my opponents case.

All of the examples used by the PRO side relate to speaking towards another human.
This has nothing to do with silence because regardless if there is speaking there is still no silence.

So in the end I would like to agree that if you are asked for top secret information by a friend it would be best to keep your mouth shut. But sadly sometimes there are morons that will get us all killed someday.

Silence is not golden as I have rightfully proven.

Please vote CON.

Posted by Blackwater 8 years ago
Blackwater
knick-knack, your debates are funny
Posted by limevortex69 9 years ago
limevortex69
kk, the topic is: "silence is golden (the way it should be debated)". I understand that this isn't even a question of where both pro and con are limited on what they CAN and CAN'T do.
Posted by knick-knack 9 years ago
knick-knack
absence means none at all.

How can you get less sound than none at all?
Posted by CoronerPerry 9 years ago
CoronerPerry
silence means the absence of sound, yes
but still, the topic IS NOT complete silence is golden...

complete absence of sound is entirely different from the absence of sound.
Vote Placed by Ped-X-ing 8 years ago
Ped-X-ing
CoronerPerryknick-knackTied
Vote Placed by Desert_Shield 8 years ago
Desert_Shield
CoronerPerryknick-knackTied
Vote Placed by knick-knack 8 years ago
knick-knack
CoronerPerryknick-knackTied
Vote Placed by Enduring_Freedom 8 years ago
Enduring_Freedom
CoronerPerryknick-knackTied
Vote Placed by Blackwater 8 years ago
Blackwater
CoronerPerryknick-knackTied
Vote Placed by DrumBum1234 8 years ago
DrumBum1234
CoronerPerryknick-knackTied
Vote Placed by VoodooChild 8 years ago
VoodooChild
CoronerPerryknick-knackTied
Vote Placed by Labrat228 9 years ago
Labrat228
CoronerPerryknick-knackTied
Vote Placed by Littleweasle 9 years ago
Littleweasle
CoronerPerryknick-knackTied