xxJimmyxx
Johnicle

skateboarding is a hard sport

Started: 1/20/2008 Category: Sports

xxJimmyxx

Pro

i skateboarding is a hard sport. Yes it is a sport get over it.do u know how long it takes people to learn how to ollie let alone the big tricks. it took me 3 months to learn to ollie and another 4 to kickflip. And im Bam (if u dont know who that is dont take this debate).Just finding a place to skate is hard. some thimes sht park is full or to many kids better than u and u dont want to look stupid. skateboarding is hard but fun and makes u cool.
Johnicle

Con

The first problem that I have with this statement is where he talks about how long it took him to learn to kickflip and ollie, and then he goes on to say how few places there are to skate. Well, against this you have to wonder, how much of his time was spent actually in a place worth skating. If it is hard to find a place to practice, of course it is going to take a while to learn how to do all of those tricks. All he has proven with his first speech is that it is hard to find a place to practice, not that skateboarding is hard.

For the purpose of this debate, I offer two new arguments for the Con side.

1. Skateboarding is no harder than any other sport.
What you will see through out this debate is the lack of difference between skateboarding and any other sport. When you were young, how long did it take you to throw a ball a decent distant? It could easily range from 5 to 8 years. Now what would it be like, if instead of practicing to throw a ball, you were on a skateboard in a proper practicing area. It would probably take you about the same time to learn how to do an ollie and a kickflip. In essence, skateboarding is not harder, it is simply just practiced less often by fewer people.

2. Less people willing to skateboard does not make skateboarding "harder."
Through out this debate, I'm sure that Pro will prove how fewer people are skateboarding and I am sure that he will blame this on how hard it is. This is simply not true. Less people are skateboarding not because its hard, but because they either find a less interest in it or that they are too scared to. Neither of these things tie into the difficulty of skateboarding, it just proves that other sports are more popular. In fact, if I put my mind to it, I am sure that I could do a kickflip and an ollie within a week, but personally, I have no interest in doing so. Also, if I wanted to be on the football team, it would easily take me MONTHS to be able to get into shape and be able to compete at any sort of level.

-In the end, you vote for difficulty and not popularity. Just because less people do it does not make it harder. Skateboarding is no harder to compete in then football or any other sport. So far in this round, Pro has only proved that skateboarding is hard to find a place to do it at, not a hard sport to compete in. Therefore, you should vote Con.

Thank You
xxJimmyxx

Pro

ok i dont so much time to read all of thata but i would aprecate it if u dont write so much. first of all i would like u to go out and buy a skateboard and try to kick flip and i garente u would not be able to. and in away that is easy. if u watched the x games this year and u see that big rap that is hard. abd some of the most basick tricks are hard. i would also like u to go out and buy a ranmp skate up it and hook ur board on it and step on the tail and u will fall im willing to bet. so i would like to see u try to skatboard and it is harder than most sports
Johnicle

Con

In my opponents last speech, the only argument he has is that I can not skateboard. Although this is a extreme assumption, it is true... I can not skateboard. But I also can't play hockey, play football, play baseball, swim, snowboard, water-ski, cheerlead (for MANY reasons), or even mountain bike. Congratulations Pro, you have proven to me that I can not skateboard. However, the debate is not what is hard on the personal level, but instead on the general level. No where does he have any argument about comparing skateboarding to ANY other sport. I have proven that skateboarding is not harder than any other sport due to its uninterested level (which went unargued). I have also proven that the reason it takes longer to learn is because of the lack of interest (again) and the lack of facilities, not the sport itself (which once again went unargued). For goodness sakes, he didn't even read all of my arguments or explanations and due to him being Pro, he must prove it's hard in which he has not done. Therefore, I urge a Con vote.

Thank You
xxJimmyxx

Pro

ok well im sry u cnat do any sports. but how long do u think it to BAM to do a kick flip to a manual to a grind or a tripple back flip (if he can do one).i didnt mean thats its just u who cant skateboard but its hard for a lot of people i just think its hard for everyone even if u try. even the ollie is hard(thats when u jump up with the board). yes somethings are easer than other in skateboarding but it is still verry hard. im good but its hard for me to heal flip. its fun so go buy a skate board and try.
Johnicle

Con

First of all, look to my first speech to see all of the dropped arguments within that as most of these went un argued. Second of all, against his last speech, he was talking about how he was sorry that I could not skateboard or do any sports. This in not true, I admit that I can not skateboard, but i can do many other sports such as ping pong and marching band (at least it takes skill if you don't consider it a sport)... neither of these things I could do very well when I started, but when I put my mind to it, it was extremely easy, it just took some time. The difference between these two things is that I put my mind to on of the things but not the other. Which brings up a very simple quote that reads, "Anything is possible if you put your mind to it." So far in this debate, he has only proved the lack of interest that skateboarding has and the lack of places to practice, but that in and of itself is not the debate. He has the burden of proof of skateboarding is a hard sport. I encourage anyone judging this debate to go back and point out exactly where he even said this or how he even proved this. I have proved that it is no harder than any sports, that it is just hard to get into (for many people) which means the less people that are in it, and I have also proved that there are few places to do it at (by his own admittance in his first speech). In the end, none of his arguments stand at the end of this round while all of mine do. Which is why I have proved that skateboarding is not a hard sport so please vote Con.

I thank my opponent for this great round. This was my first online debate and I hope to have many more...

Thank You
Posted by lziggyrun12 7 years ago
lziggyrun12
Pro, why did you join this website? Although I lack a lot of skills in debating, my arguments are atleast based on SOMETHING. You just.. ramble on in a way that I cant comprehend. Con, good job.
Posted by tvann5m 7 years ago
tvann5m
..... damn pro learn how to spell
Posted by Johnicle 8 years ago
Johnicle
1. When considering moral standards, benefits ought to be prioritized over costs.
2. Public health concerns justify government violation of pharmaceutical patents.
3. In the United States, true intent ought to have a higher weight in court than ends.
4. In the United States, minor jail time ought to be replaced with significant rehabilitation.
5. The costs of informing the public of the world ending 3 months prior outweigh the benefits.
6. On balance, a corrupt government is better than no government.
7. It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.
8. Governments ought to have the right to regulate the media in order to protect national security.
9. Extreme religious symbols ought to be removed from public places.
10. While under moral conflict, increasing benefits ought to be preferred to decreasing costs.
11. In the United States, outlawing U.S. flag burning is un-American.
12. Eliminating legal marriages would be a good thing.
13. Limiting economic inequality ought to be a more important social goal than increasing economic freedom.
14. The United States Federal Government should help to modernize third-world countries.
15. On balance, violent revolution is a just response to political oppression.
16. A victim's deliberate use of deadly force is a just response to repeated domestic violence.
17. In matters of collecting military intelligence, the ends justify the means.
18. Affirmative action should be practiced in college and university admission.
19. It is morally permissible to kill one innocent person to save the lives of many innocent people.
20. Civil disobedience is an appropriate tool in the fight for justice.
Posted by Doctau 9 years ago
Doctau

Johnicle, I played football, hockey, soccer, snowboarded, and skateboarded. Just reading the title, I was going to vote that skateboarding is harder then all other sports because it is extremely hard to first learn to do kickflips and so on. Until I read what you wrote above...I can think of people I know who still throw like girls (who are guys), can't shoot a basketball, and can't even execute a jumping jack properly. I was raised to play football and sports, and do remember having trouble catching and throwing at a young age. Another thing to, a kickflip is the basics, like being able to throw a spiral pass. I think it actually took me longer to be able to throw a perfect spiral then to be able to do a kickflip. I did practice both a lot though. I reamember hours upon hours of just trying to do a kickflip. But that's not saying one is harder then the other, I don't think that can even be said. To be pro at anything is extremly hard.

Jimmy, I would actually agree that skateboarding is harder because you get hurt more. Out of all the sports I played, you take way more pain in skateboarding. Imagine a thing peice of wood just slicing into your shins, because if you want to learn how to do anything that's going to happen all day and it sucks. When I would skate we'd count all the scabs and bruises on our legs and itd be atleast 20 on each leg.
Posted by Johnicle 9 years ago
Johnicle
Well, I am actually a drum major in the marching band at my school. Other than that I play the alto saxophone. I thank you for your quick responses as well because I am starting to figure out this idea of a round forfeit. I don't like that whole idea too much because I just want to debate, but at least it forces debate to get going.

Good Luck on your other debates.
Posted by xxJimmyxx 9 years ago
xxJimmyxx
what instroment do u play i play the trumpet and gutiar
Posted by xxJimmyxx 9 years ago
xxJimmyxx
ur gonna win im srry im made u admit that and all sports are not hard so good luck+
Posted by Johnicle 9 years ago
Johnicle
i actually dont care, i am pretty bad at sports. but the voting period doesnt exactly ever end. i do thank you for how quicly responded w/ ur arguments because all the other ppl im going against take forever to post... oh well, but good round
Posted by xxJimmyxx 9 years ago
xxJimmyxx
im srry i made u say u cant play sports so what sporst can u play other than those two
and how long is a voting periodfzr
Posted by Johnicle 9 years ago
Johnicle
also you basically being rude and saying your better then your opponet... RUDENESS!!!!

Btw this is armychick im just on his computer.... :P
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
xxJimmyxxJohnicleTied
Vote Placed by Johnicle 8 years ago
Johnicle
xxJimmyxxJohnicleTied
Vote Placed by shaqdaddy34 8 years ago
shaqdaddy34
xxJimmyxxJohnicleTied
Vote Placed by PryorPirate93 8 years ago
PryorPirate93
xxJimmyxxJohnicleTied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 9 years ago
liberalconservative
xxJimmyxxJohnicleTied
Vote Placed by meganlg43 9 years ago
meganlg43
xxJimmyxxJohnicleTied
Vote Placed by Doctau 9 years ago
Doctau
xxJimmyxxJohnicleTied
Vote Placed by xxJimmyxx 9 years ago
xxJimmyxx
xxJimmyxxJohnicleTied
Vote Placed by mrmatt505 9 years ago
mrmatt505
xxJimmyxxJohnicleTied
Vote Placed by solo 9 years ago
solo
xxJimmyxxJohnicleTied