Society Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Should we tighten gun control laws?

GameriseProductions

Full ResolutionGun control laws should be tightened.BoP is shared; I have to prove that gun control laws should remain the same. My opponent, in contrast, has to prove that our current gun control laws are too lenient and therefore should be strictened. DefinitionsGun control - "regulation of the selling, owning, and use of guns" Rules1. First r...

Challenge Period
1 Comments
Updated 11 Hours Ago

Being against homosexuality does not make a person a bigot.

HermanGomez95
elthagreat

This debate has been created to challenge the assertion that being against homosexuality does not make a person a bigot. Having the misfortune to read that statement in countless posts from my conservative friends on Facebook, I finally decided I should formally create a debate for this. Since Pro will have the BoP, I’ll wai...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Land ownership, property and farms(large land owners)

MichealBeans
bballcrook21

Land inequality is power. Property controls where you live and how we get our food. Most people cannot grow their own food and rely on a system of competition(money) for survival. Land ownership makes freedom and equality impossible. Why should one man live in an apartment while another owns enough land to feed thousands? Farmers and giant farm corporations sells fuel(food) to the industry for money. The industry gives the worker a job to pay for food he 'cannot' grow, making him easily exploite...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Resolved: A just society ought not use the death penalty as a form of punishment.

Khaos_Mage
UtherPenguin

This is for 1Harderthanyouknow's August Beginners Tourney.Definitions:just: based on or behaving according to what is morally right and fairsociety: the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered communityought: indicating a moral desirabilitydeath penalty: the punishment of execution, administered to someone legally convicted of a capital crime

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 11 Hours Ago

August Beginner's Tourney R1: Prophett and OpinionPersom121

TheProphett
OpinionPersom121

August Beginner's Tournament Round One TheProphett vs. Persom121

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Animal testing should be banned.

DebateChampion1
Ferare

Poisoning, shocking, burning, and killing animals is all in a day"s work for vivisectors. If these atrocious acts were committed outside laboratories, they would be felonies. But animals suffer and die every day in laboratories with little or no protection from cruelty. Here are the top five reasons why it needs to stop: It"s unethical to sentence 100 million thinking, feeling animals to life in a laboratory cage and intentionally cause them pain, loneliness, and fear. It"s bad science. The...

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Should abortion be legal?

TBoneProductions
Med_Hassan_Bangs

Rules1. BoP (Burden of Proof) is shared.2. Religion can NOT be a factor in either one of our arguments. That will quickly twist the topic at hand.3. Minor trolling IS allowed. However, if it goes on consistently, it will result in a loss of conduct and convincing arguments.4. First round is ONL...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 16 Hours Ago

Job security is the biggest motivator than money

anotherwolf

Losing a job is only a small chance, so people can earn a lot of money before they get fired....

Challenge Period
1 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

You can't justifiably forfeit someone's argument(s) for accepting a debate without permission.

TheJuniorVarsityNovice

Thesis: I honestly believe this. This will basically be a theory argument about how rounds should, or I guess, should not work. I will argue that based on the reasons which validate our authority to make rules about match structure, we cannot justifiably penalize someone f...

Challenge Period
11 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

Should abortion be legal?

TBoneProductions
laceymay

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 9 Hours Ago