Society Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Affirmative action is warranted, yet, not equivalent to reparations for slavery.

mentalist
TGambit

Affirmative action is a system that was designed to counteract the various prejudices, biases and shortcomings that have been proven to exist in the current system. Though commonly mistaken as solely for melaninated people, affirmative action makes exceptions and allowances for many different groups of people. [i.e. handicapped, women, etc.] Shared BoP Opponent must show how affirmative action is an unwarranted policy that aids only melaninated individuals. Opponent must also prove how affi...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 4 Hours Ago

drug legalization

jstudt76
Zarroette

All drugs should be legal. The choice of use should be an individual decision. Instead of incarcerating thousands each year and fighting a losing drug war, we should spend our tine and money on education. We should educate the public on the benefits(if any) of every drug. Also the dangers and harm they cause. Give the people all the information there is and allow them to make an educated choice. Instead of false propaganda lets tell the truth about drugs. Some have beneficial use some do not. It...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 2 Hours Ago

Plants should have rights

Lexus

This debate is closed for a while. If you want to apply you can do so in the comments, but I will likely open this debate to anyone in a few days, as well as fill it all in. Resolved: Plants should have rights. BoP: Split evenly. I must prove that plants should have rights while my opponent must prove they should not....

Challenge Period
7 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Divorce should be illegal

Lilian1993
mrbobalino

Divorce should be illegal. The institution of marriage is now a joke, something with a potential asset and monetary value....

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

legal age should be 16

intellectiq
Barnakk

I know what everyone is thinking that's crazy considering that's younger than 18 and there still in school you can get your driver license at 16 and I believe that the younger you are being treated like an adult with responsibility which can help you in your future....

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Prostitution Should be Legalized

Pase66
Lee001

"Prostitution Should be Legalized"Definitions:Prostitution- The work of a prostitute : the act of having sex in exchange for money.http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prostitutionLegalized- To make (something) legal : to allow (something) by law.

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 4 Hours Ago

Homosexuality is not human nature it's human nurture

WilliamK
mikesobe

Homosexuality is a luxury and a choice. The increased amount of homosexuals is do to an increasingly nurturing society. (This is not about gay rights and whether or not they should have them. That answer is obvious)...

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Resolved: That the fight for LGBTQ equality should be less focused-on than it is.

ConservativeDDO
Teaparty1

Round one is for acceptance only. I don't care about proper formatting, I only wish for my opponent to argue his/her point as best as possible. As Pro, I will attempt to explain why LGBTQ equality is not as important as people make it out to be. Good luck!...

Debating Period
5 Comments
Updated 21 Hours Ago

Just governments ought to provide legal protections for pedophiles

Envisage

*This debate is closed, please register your interest in the comments*OverviewI am still working on this resolution, so details are liable to change. This debate is going to regard self-identifying/aware pedophiles, and that g...

Challenge Period
6 Comments
Updated 4 Days Ago

Arranged Marriage - The freedom to choose

1voice4globalfreedom
Solidshakego

My argument is simple - To each their own. I'm not condemning arranged marriage. What I condemn is depriving a person to the right to choose their own path towards matrimony and in some cases away from it. Only if arranged marriage is what they desire most should this be the chosen approach for finding a spouse. Furthermore, should one or both parties decide they no longer wish to be married to one another, they should, without societal backlash, be allowed to dissolve the marriage and go on sep...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago