sonikiza
losedotexe

sports is better than video games!?

Started: 10/27/2010 Category: Sports

sonikiza

Pro

sorts is better than playing video games because on the vidoe game you don't have
to use your feet but for sports you do and it makes you fit and if your fat
losedotexe

Con

I stand firmly in objection to the resolution ; Resolved : Sports are better than video games.

For clarification, I offer the following definitions :
Video game : A type of game existing as and controlled by software, usually run by a video game console or a computer, and played on a video terminal or television screen. Controlled by a paddle, joystick, joypad, mouse, keyboard, or a combination of any of these input devices.[1]
Sports : A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. In sports the key factors are the physical capabilities and skills of the competitor when determining the outcome (winning or losing). The physical activity involves the movement of people, animals and/or a variety of objects such as balls and machines or equipment. [2]

To start out, I would like to thank my opponent for this debate.

Contention 1
Video Games serve as a social lubricant

A. Video games involve people playing together.

Games like Halo, Call of Duty, Team Fortress 2, World of Warcraft, and many more all involve common goals and socialization. Because players have to work together in order to achieve the best result, it encourages interaction. Because the goals are clearly set, it allows for easier communication. Video games are an easy way to put aside petty differences that often bog current relationships, and find some common ground.
In contrast, Sports involve very little communication whilst being played. They may make a game plan, but while you are playing, communication is often restricted ; you don't want the other team to know. However, video games tend to have 'restricted to team' chat. This means only the people you want to hear your chat, can. This, again, increases socialization.

B. Video Games provide common ground

Many people talk about the games that they play. For example, a person who plays Dwarf Fortress, may talk about the best mega-construction they have made. In Fall Out : New Vegas, they may talk about easter eggs they've uncovered. This results in a median that allows for ease of communication.
However, while sports may reference some common ground, it's purely competitive ; This means people tend to pick and choose their favorite teams, and this can lead to bad feelings when anything critical is said of their team ; This is evidenced when Sylvino Blanco was confronted after a game by Pedro Gonzalez Sr, who was wielding a machete ; in which he grabbed a rifle and retaliated.[3] While murder may be rare, fights, especially ones that are verbal, are not uncommon.

2. Video games help increase critical thinking skills and hand-eye coordination

A. Critical Thinking Skills

In games like Half Life 2, there are 2 main types of challenges ; Puzzles and action fights. Puzzles are often a challenge to figure out, as they require you to think outside the box. One example, the game puts a teeter-totter in a corridor, and is the only exit. However, you cannot climb to the end unless it's weighed down. Ultimately, you stack a heavy object (cinderblocks) on one end, in order to keep it lifted up while you walk through the ending corridor.

B. Hand Eye Coordination

Again, in Half Life 2, there are action scenes. These require quick reflexes in order to take as little damage as possible. Many attacks are not pre-warned ; it forces you to act quickly to ensure you do not 'die' in the game. Because it requires both sight, and a control mechanism (keyboard, controller, etc), it can help improve your hand-eye coordination.
In contrast ; Sports are primarily predictable ; There may be a few surprises, but most 'game plans' are obvious and predictable. In addition, you will predict, say, a ball being passed to you ; this decreases reaction time, as you are expecting it.

3. Video Games relieve stress
Video games cover a wide range of areas ; from puzzles, to action, to fighting, to strategy. I'll cover 2 ways they can alleviate stress through certain genres.

A. Fighting Games
Let's say you had a rough day ; you are stressed, and angry about some of the happenings. By playing a fighting game, it allows you to get out primal urges to attack, whilst causing no damage to human beings. In addition, the high action of a shooting game will help alleviate negative feelings from the intense high-risk (for your character) action.

B. Puzzle Games
On the other end of the scale, we have puzzle games, and some strategy games. These games are low action, and allow you to relax. It's simple mind puzzles, which is more interactive than watching T.V. This is a great way to relax after a stressful day ; shuffling jewels around to get 3 in a row is simple enough not cause more stress ; yet challenging enough not to bore you.

On to my opponent's Argument.

He said video games are worse than sports because you do not need to use your feet. This is illogical ; Why is this important? In video games, you use your hands, eyes, mind, and voice ; in addition to your coordination, communication skills, critical thinking skills, and problem solving skills.
He goes on to say that it makes you fit ; this is not a valid argument. A person can just as easily go on a jog for exercise, whilst getting more benefits from video games.
Finally I THINK he makes the claim video games make you fat ; this is simply not the case. Just because someone plays video games does not make them fat ; it merely means they play video games.

Because of the following reasons, I must urge a negative ballot.
sonikiza

Pro

okey I didn't exactly finish my point sorry about that ummm but if you stay on the computer playing games its not good for you and your eyes might hurt you will be obese and it's not good for you. also the is one more thing that I need to say
1.I know that video games are good for you but you can'just stay there playing for five hours without going outside and enjoy playing a game by using your feet with your friend.

2. every one really enouys playing or should I say most people but you can't just stay there and be lazy
you really need exercise and every single on of us does trus me on this man
losedotexe

Con

My opponent failed to address any of my arguments ; Extend ALL of them.

My opponent says it can strain the eyes ; okay? This doesn't prove it's inferior to sports in any way ; Sports can cause injuries.

He claims it will make you obese ; he provides no evidence, and because obesity is linked to POOR DIET AND LACK OF EXERCISE, not video games, this argument can be marked as a topical.

In his first contention he says "I know that video games are good for you, but you can't just stay there playing for five hours without going outside and enjoy playing a game by using your feet with your friend."
The PRO basically affirms the CON's side ; He accepts and admits they are good. He says you can't just stay there and play for five hours without going outside. To this I ask, why not? He doesn't provide A SINGLE REASON as to WHY this is bad. Sure, I enjoy playing sports ; This doesn't make them better than video games.

In his second contention he basically says people enjoy playing sports. This is likely to be true. Again, this doesn't prove video games are BAD or INFERIOR to video games.
In addition, He assumes people who play video games are lazy and do not get adequate exercise ; I already addressed this in the rebuttal of his first contention.
I agree, every single one of us DOES NEED EXERCISE. This does NOT mean that SPORTS is the ONLY means of being fit, nor that video games are INFERIOR to video games.

It should be noted that all of my arguments go untouched ; this, in addition to his acceptance in his first contention are strong enough evidence that he concedes to CON.

Because of this, I must urge a CON vote.
sonikiza

Pro

sonikiza forfeited this round.
losedotexe

Con

My opponent has forfeited the last round ; Please extend my arguments to this final round.

-Point Break Down-
Conduct ; Con. PRO forfeited a round.
Spelling and grammar ; Con. PRO made many spelling errors.
Arguments ; Con. PRO did not refute any arguments.
Sources ; Con. PRO did not provide any sources.

Thank you for judging this debate.
Posted by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
ugg...
Posted by losedotexe 3 years ago
losedotexe
I forgot my source info in my first speech ; here it is.
[1]http://en.wiktionary.org...
[2]http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3]http://edition.channel5belize.com...
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 3 years ago
SuperRobotWars
sonikizalosedotexeTied
Vote Placed by launilove 3 years ago
launilove
sonikizalosedotexeTied
Vote Placed by SOFTero 3 years ago
SOFTero
sonikizalosedotexeTied