ELOCMADA
HeedMyFeed

spreading the wealth

Con Tied Pro

ELOCMADA

Con

I think that spreading the wealth is "unamerican". People earn their money and work hard for it why punish them for doing well in life and making a good amount of money?
HeedMyFeed

Pro

Spreading the wealth has been in America for centuries and since our foundations.

First, by the government having taxes that technically is spreading the wealth. It is because taxing is actually taking your money, and using it to fund public utilities and facilities. These would include roads, education, libraries, and any state owned facility. However, these facilities and utilities are open to everyone in the public, and they are taking advantage of the funding that they get. Therefore, taxing is technically spreading the wealth. However, the state and the country would not survive without taxes. There would be no funding for our roads, schools, libraries, ect. This would be a great detriment to society and would prevent our society to function as well as it does now. Therefore, this is one instance where spreading the wealth is good. In fact, this is American since taxation with representation has been in America for centuries. In addition, it is not punishing Americans. It is actually providing for Americans as I have shown.

Finally, I assume what you are referring to is Obama's taxation plan. Obama plans on increasing taxes for the minority of the population earning $250,000. But the problem is that a government has to look out for its people. This means that in order to benefit the majority of the population, we must in fact rid this debt by increasing the taxes of the rich a reasonable amount. However, by ridding this national debt, the benefits will in fact come back to all Americans, and benefit the rich in the long run. I would continue, but I assume you understand the jist of what I am saying.

I await my opponent's response and would like to thank him for a great debate.
ELOCMADA

Con

You have a good point when you say that spreading the wealth has been in America since our foundations, but I was talking about president Obama's new tax plan.

You said that "problem is that a government has to look out for its people. This means that in order to benefit the majority of the population, we must in fact rid this debt by increasing the taxes of the rich a reasonable amount." I want to ask you a few questions. One have you read Corey Miller's letter to president Obama? If you have not please read it. The next one that I would like to ask you is, would you think this way if you were one of the people that was making that money and I am not. ( please answer me honestly ) Now if you were these people and your money was being taken away from you that you had planned to use for something for your business or for your family and you no longer could because or this tax plan how would you feel? What benefits are you talking about for " all Americans"? I do under stand the just of what you are saying and I would like to ask you the same question.
HeedMyFeed

Pro

Going over my opponent's arguments.

No, I have not read it, if possible could you link it up for me. Second, I would not mind giving up this extra money for the following reasons. First, you must realize that these people are part of the upper tax bracket, and currently pay 35% and this would be increased to 39%. http://www.suntimes.com... Next, you must realize that this tax money is used as I described in my first round. So, I would not mind that my money is being used to improve my community, and help such programs. However, we must realize that Obama is looking this from the government's point of view. But, the country is currently in a large debt, and like if it was a regular person they would do their best to get out of their debt. However, Obama is doing the best to remedy this situation, and this is one plausible solution. But, this has benefits for those paying those extra taxes. It does because they are suffering with this national debt and the poor state of our economy. They could be suffering through the inflation of the U.S. dollar, the decline of the stock market, housing market, and with the loss of jobs and productivity of the company. So, if this increase in taxes does help solve our economic profit, it will have a benefit on these people because it will remedy those problems.

I await your response, and thank you for a great debate.
ELOCMADA

Con

ELOCMADA forfeited this round.
HeedMyFeed

Pro

I am quite sorry that my opponent was unable to post their round in time.

Therefore, you have to extend all of my arguments. This means you must vote Pro.

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate, and wish them good luck in future rounds.
Vote Placed by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
ELOCMADAHeedMyFeedTied