spygal725
Siege

stop and frisk aka racial profiling by cops. is it justified?

Siege

spygal725

Con

is stop and frisk aka tracial profiling by police justified ir unjustified. how do you feel about cops stoping and/or arresting people just because their race
Siege

Pro

First, I would like to thank spygal725 for the interesting topic and for allowing me my first debate.

Because the debate was not concretely defined I would like to state the rules of this debate. We are not debating whether or not the Stop and Frisk program is effective, but whether or not the idea behind the program is justified.

To begin with I would like to clarify on my opponent's misconception that "stop and frisk" and "racial profiling" are synonymous. Racial profiling is the usage of race or ethnicity by law enforcement officers when deciding whether or not to engage in enforcement. For stop and frisk, officers are instructed to only stop when they reasonably suspect that someone has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a felony or misdemeanor. These are distinctly different in that by law, neither race nor ethnicity are adequate reasons.

Now, my opponent my attempt to dispute this difference by citing the large number of African Americans and Latinos who are stopped in New York, but this is where I will delve into real-world statistics, which aren't always as "politically correct" as we as Americans attempt to be. The honest truth is that profiling exists. And I'm not discussing police officers racially profiling during stop and frisk, because that wouldn't be accurate. The FBI, CIA, and most police divisions all have on their payroll people who are both legally and professionally Criminal Profilers. The reason for this is simple: there are patterns to certain types of crime. For example, serial killers are more likely to be white, single, and over the age of 30. This is not racism, it is statistics. Statistically, over 90% of people in jail are men. This is not sexism, but real-world statistics.

It is a simple fact that black and Hispanic men are arrested and imprisoned at a much higher rate than any other race/gender combination in the US. Whether or not these arrests are rightful or not is a topic for another debate, however, it is clearly naive to state that disproportional police stops are racial profiling, when they actually follow a national trend.

Now with that distinction out of the way, I'll now explain why the program is justified. Because the stop and frisk program allows officers to check what you are carrying on your person, it's main goal is to obtain two things: weapons and narcotics. Deadly weapons are far too often found and confiscated only when it's "too late". After a school shooting/massacre, a drive-by which kills multiply civilians, etc, etc. This is not the Minority Report movie of '02 where we can predict crime and stop it from happening. But what we can do is obtain the weapons from the criminals before something COULD happen. If a person went to the trouble to obtain a weapon illegally, you should not assume they are keeping it just to look at. By confiscating guns off the streets, officers are able to prevent crime without the unfortunate possibility of loss of life. As for narcotics, besides the obvious ability to detain drugs from those who wish to deal them, this program also gives officers the unique ability to confiscate marijuana for personal (non-medical) use, which in most cases would be impossible without an officer in every backyard in America.

With these reasons, it is clear to see why the stop and frisk program is both justified and non-prejudiced.

http://www.project.org...
http://www.bop.gov...
spygal725

Con

spygal725 forfeited this round.
Siege

Pro

I will forfeit this round also, and await my opponent's response.
spygal725

Con

spygal725 forfeited this round.
Siege

Pro

Will forfeit again to even things up.

spygal725

Con

spygal725 forfeited this round.
Siege

Pro

Looks like my opponent will not show, but I'll forfeit this round as a last chance.
spygal725

Con

spygal725 forfeited this round.
Siege

Pro

Siege forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by GOP 3 years ago
GOP
spygal725SiegeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited a lot. Con also did not argue at all.