dawn122315
KittyCate

students getting paid for making good grades

dawn122315

dawn122315

Pro

I think students should get paid for good grades because they will work harder to get the good grades for money. it will also create good work habits for in the future. It will also help them learn how to manage their money properly.
KittyCate

Con

Students should not get paid for getting good grades for a few simple reasons. First this debate could be taken in two ways, based on whom pays the students. If parents are supposed to pay their kids for good grades, parents in a bottom-class situation simply may not be able to afford the extra expense, if they struggle with bills and food as it is. If you are talking about the school system paying, then my argument there is the fact that school districts already struggle with budgets affording many things that should be mandatory in a students activities. Some teachers are laid off, because a district cannot afford to pay them. School is a place to learn, that is enough of an incentive to attend, as you create the opportunity to make a living for yourself, instead where you getting paid for good grades can teach students to feel as if they get free handouts (in cases of where a class can be an easy grade.)
dawn122315

Pro

In response to that all I have to say is if they can afford to buy all the new stuff for the sport team's and the different types of so called club outings then they can cut out a little bit every nine weeks to pay the students for their grades being at least a high C or above. And I know for a fact that the school system is a lot better off than it seems even with all the fund raisers that the students partake in.
KittyCate

Con

Not every school district has the funds to pay for such luxuries such as new things for sports teams. Take the current condition of the state of Illinois for example. In the current state debt, how can they be expected to pay for student grades, when there are much more pressing matters? And even in the terms of getting paid for a grade, a C is too low of an expectation. C is considered average. Not anything spectacular. Most club outings that people know of, earn the money themselves, through private fundraisers, not school funds. They earn them. Public fundraisers at schools usually put the funds towards improving the school, not trivial things such as paying students. A good education, is reward enough.
dawn122315

Pro

I took a pole in one of my classes to see how many would try harder for money. The class had twenty-five students. Out of that twenty-five students twenty two said they would the other three didn't partake in it. So with that said other countries pay their students just for showing up and we can't even give ten dollars for a high C or twenty for a B or fifty for an A. What dose that say about us? How long until the government gives this a try? If and when they do they will see how much their test scores increase as a whole.
KittyCate

Con

KittyCate forfeited this round.
Posted by Sgt4Liberty 1 year ago
Sgt4Liberty
Ok, so you happened to learn personal finance in school which is good. In that class you probably learned how to balance a check book, I'm assuming? I've taken MBA level Finance and Accounting and I guarantee you never EVER learned how money works. People don't learn fractional reserve banking, history of money, how loans work, how loans or credit cards come into existence etc. If you're still in Highschool, and your parents kick out, they're just some really crappy parents, or you should've graduate but didn't. If they did make it a requirement to pay students for good grades, who's going to pay for it? The tax payers? Kids here in the U.S. should stop being whiney brats and be thankful they can at least have the opportunity to get the education they have. Kids in the poorest countries do not get paid for good grades, so I don't know what fantasy stories that you're reading kid, but I don't buy it.
Posted by dawn122315 1 year ago
dawn122315
It's not really stupid. But they do offer personal finance in high schools and that teaches students about money management and the whole money system in it self. I took that class last year while a junior in high school and now I'm out on my own but still struggling with money because I can't work while in school. I know the economy has gone down hill from where it use to be. And it's not only the rich but also the poor. And even some of the poorest countries pay their students for good grades so maybe it's time we follow in their step. I say this because some of the smartest people in today's society came from other countries just for jobs that they don't have they also don't have to worry about weather or not their money will last because of their school experience with money. So why can't schools be like that? Some times it just takes a little push for people to realize the potential in the students and their learning ability. Just stop and think about it like this your a high school senior and you get kicked out of your parents house you have no money or job experience. You need money to survive in this economy in today's time and age.
Posted by Sgt4Liberty 1 year ago
Sgt4Liberty
I wish I would've seen this debate first to accept the challenge. This idea is ludicrous. School is an utter waste of time. All it teaches is how to be a good little worker. America was built on free markets, and has turned into Crony capitalism (if you can even call it that), and is headed towards socialism. Ever wonder why the richest people drop out of school? Ever wonder why we never learn how money works, or the history of money? Ever wonder why we never learn how banks, loans or anything financial works in school? Even in Graduate level Finance, all you learn is balance sheets using the simplest math. Successful wealthy people learn (sales skills, marketing skills, PEOPLE SKILLS, etc.) and use those skills to build business'. If kids want to earn money, then they should figure out how to do that in their free time rather than playing COD. I would shovel snow, mow lawns, rake leaves or anything I could to make some money. Some kids would sell candy at school. Then I got a job that I worked on weekends by the 9th grade, and only took fall off for football. I made all the money I ever needed as a kid (and I took honors classes, and got A's, B's and C+'s). Giving kids money for what they SHOULD be doing anyways, is stupid.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
dawn122315KittyCateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.