Redston_1
FHPSdebate

students rights are being violated in school

Redston_1

Redston_1

Pro

Have you ever thought your rights were being violated? Many students have enjoyed all of their rights, but at some schools rights are being violated in terms of making school "so called better." Though some people think that rights are an unimportant factors of school rules I think that schools should factor rights into backpack and locker searches, putting metal detectors in schools, and dress codes.

My first reason for students having backpack searches is that administrators should not conduct backpack searches. Backpack searches are a violation of the Fourth Amendment. This is important because students own their backpacks not schools. Another major factor according to Dennis Hartman, a reporter for the Synonym Classroom, an online education news website states, "It takes time to perform locker searches." One more source according to Charr from this website in his debate states, "the average ratio of students to Faculty is 1:19 That ought make search take a lot of time.

In addition to backpack searches the second reason that I believe that students need their rights is metal detectors. Although not in many schools currently, some have them. According to Brian Steele you would have to ensure there was no other way to get stuff into the school. This is important because metal detectors would be pointless if there were any other ways to get weapons into school. Another idea suggest that there would be much hassle. It would take time to get every student through the metal detector(s). most cities and school districts couldn't pay for to put a metal detector in every school, that would just be ridiculous.

I also believe that dress codes are a violation of students rights. Lets face it most students dislike there dress code. Not only would removing dress codes take away the right violation; it would create a bond between teachers and students. This would be a powerful and everlasting bond. Taking away the dress code would mean that students would think that school is the next best thing.

Some may argue that while the other side believes backpack searches metal detectors and dress codes are beneficial in schools. I however, reject those ideas because according to a survey I took most teens at my school dislike the dress code. Searching backpacks helps schools find drugs. Metal detectors are excellent ways of finding weapons. Lastly dress codes help ensure that students don't come immodest.

To sum it up, rights rule. Were your rights ever violated. Backpack and locker searches have much in common. but on the other hand dress codes are what they are. Now's the time to vote Pro. Please help me in the fight.
FHPSdebate

Con

First of all, thank you for letting me debate against you. I look forward to it! Good luck!

First, you did not state in which country this argument is directed towards. My interpretation is ALL schools, in all countries.
This includes colleges, universities, high schools, and elementary.

My concerns also continue as follows, what types of violation are your arguments directed towards? These facts are not provided so I will continue my debate as interpreted. Since you failed to provide the setting, in which your arguments would be directed towards, I can use the setting that I have experienced personally.

May I ask where you got this information? Failure to provide sources will render your facts false.
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
GoOrDin
all votes were biased.
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
GoOrDin
Going to school is not a Right. It is a Preiveleg and a Law.

metal detectors and personal privacy investigation are not infringements on personal right. when u enter a government building or a professional/ public zone u are legally searched. School is public and government.
Vote Placed by U.n 9 months ago
U.n
Redston_1FHPSdebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Only Pro provided arguments.
Vote Placed by logical-master123 1 year ago
logical-master123
Redston_1FHPSdebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: First of all Pro was the only one to make arguments.
Vote Placed by Bosoxfaninla 1 year ago
Bosoxfaninla
Redston_1FHPSdebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not present an arguement, meerily asked questions which could not be answered due to the restraints. However, Pro I would just like to suggest you look into a few cases if you are interested in this topic because they explain why student searches and dress codes are 100% Constitutional. 1) Tinker v. Des Moines Independent School District. Two students were punished for wearing black armbands to school to protest the war in Vietnam. The supreme court ruled as long as an act of expression doesn't disrupt classwork or school activities or invade the rights of others, it's acceptable to practice your first amendment right in school and express yourself. Dress codes fit into this category of distractions to others. 2) New Jersey v. T.L.O. After a student was smoking in a school bathroom by a teacher her backpack was searched.The supreme court ruled your belongings can be searched, but not arbitrarily, in order to maintain an "environment in which learning can take place."