sonon
The_Master_Riddler

students should not be penalizaed for missing classes

sonon

Pro

This is the first time that i am here for debate. I hope this debate is going smoothly.
I would say: students should not be penalized for missing classes. Con would say: student should be penalized for missing classes. I am really happy to start this debate.

Rule:
R1: - Con acceptance
R2: - Pro show arguments - Con refute Pro's arguments and show his arguments
R3: - Pro refute Con's arguments and make conclusion - Con: finally delivery
The_Master_Riddler

Con

I'll accept this debate. It'll be very interesting how it turns out but I would like to add this to the debate:
Missing class doesn't include excused absences.
sonon

Pro

Thank you for accepting my debate.

In today world, there are many problems happen in school or university. One of them is about the absent of students for class. That make me very interested that why I came up here with this motion ""students should not be penalized for missing classes."" I agree with this motion and I have some arguments to show:

1.Future work career
Some students believe that to have more chances and to be competed with others student in future job career, they should have job while they are studying. It is true. In this case, when they graduate, they will have more experiences and chances to get a high paid job than other students who wait until they finish their degree. In some countries like mine (Cambodia), work will affect their study. For those who have job while they are student, they will busy with work. Sometime they have some problems with their work and they have stress and they feel tired, so they would not want to come to study that make them missing class. Sometime they haven"t finish their work, so they take more time to do it, then they will miss some classes. Is it wrong for the action that we (student) should be penalized for missing classes? It is impossible. We should not be punished because we only make an effort for our future career and ourselves. If you wait until you finish your degree to get job, then you will be hard to get a high paid job, but for those students I mentioned will get that position.

2.Family difficulty
Students will be forced by their circumstances to find a job for earning money to support their family. Let me give example one of my friends: His family is very poor, so being an oldest brother in the family he tried very hard not only for study, but also for finding money. He has a job as a part time job in one pub. More than that, he help her mum selling flower in the street to find more extra money, so sometime he miss classes at school. Should school penalize him for not attending the class while he tries so hard to support his family? He does for the sake of the family and himself. He is also not giving up school. We should not be penalized him, but we should pity him and give him some support to their family.

3.Talented students

In this world, there are talented students in different skills. For those students, they always want to learn thing that they are good at. Let see example of some famous players like Diego Maradona. His talents is good at playing football, so he want to do is to play football most of his time. He didn"t think much about attending the classes. Should they be penalized for missing classes? or Should they be encouraged to improve their talent? We can"t bring their talent away. They should be encouraged, but not be penalized for missing classes.

4.Teacher"s quality of teaching and poor attitude

There is not the same quality and experience between one teacher and another teacher. Some teachers can explain the lesson well and students want to study with him or we can say he is a good teacher. Another teacher is unable to explain the students (can"t make them understand) and sometime his attitude is bad. He performs a poor behavior to students like cursing or etc. When students study with that teacher, they feel so bored and they don"t know what the lesson is about, so it seems like "bring the cow to watch T.V". What do you think the student do? they will miss class. Even students try to study hard, but they still do not understand, then they will not attend that class again. How can the students be penalized, while it is the school mistake that hired the unqualified teacher to teach because they want to save money. There are many schools does that.

Students should not be penalized for missing classes.
The_Master_Riddler

Con

When I accepted this debate, I thought you were talking about high school students and not college students. You did not make that discretion when making the rules.

However, I will still debate.
Rebuttals
Future Work Career- If a college student goes to school, they normally go to school as a full time student, meaning they go to school all day. When you work full time, you will get penalized for not showing up to work, meaning you won't get paid. Same thing here. If a student (who goes to school full time), doesn't go to school, then should they not get penalized? No, they should get penalized. There are certain punishments that need to be issued for certain actions.

Family Diffuclty- Someone shouldn't be in college if they can't afford it. That is not the school's issue. There could be 2,000 students with that same issue. Should they help all students that have those problems? In fact, colleges make it easier for college students to work and provide. They provide financial aid and they also allow people to schedule classes to the student's schedule. So there is no excuse for them to not be at school.

Talented students- Your example is not too good. If a man wants to learn, then he will learn. He will make it obligatory to learn. A football player that just wants to play football shouldn't be in college. He should be practicing.

Qualified teachers- If a teacher wants to teach at a public institution, they must have a master's degree and a teacher certification. Because they are teaching, it is safe to assume that they have a teacher's certififcation and that makes them qualified to teach. If a student doesn't want to go to a class because of the teacher, then they should just withdraw from the class to not receive any penalty.

These might sound convincing but it is not that hard to realize that there must be a penalty for every action we do.

Arguments
Kids skipping school- Some kids might skip school. They are removing themselves from the learning environment intentionally. Because of that, they should be penalized.

Costs school tax dollars- Because I thought my opponent was debating high schoolers, I will keep that subject. When kids don't come to school, the school loses fundings. When the school loses funding, then that will makke it harder for the school to stay open. Teachers will get paid less and certain programs offered might be removed.
sonon

Pro

When you have shown your ideas about this, I have one thing in mind. You are in developed world, while i am in developing country. The system is very different from each other. The kind system that you have been mentioned is not valid in developing country like mine. Students need to study only 4 hours a day in their state school not a full day, so they have time to work. Many business company are also hired them and pay them money.

School doesn't have much money to support the poor students as you said. The school has not much scholarship for more than 100 students per school. In our world, students is responsible for their own problems and things. The school can help some of their things, but not all not the family financial problems, so students still have to find job by their own.

Footballer should not be in college? They can't have right to get others education beside their talent to play football??? They may want to learn other subjects in college, but not all. so they still miss some classes.

I talk in general, not always in college. Many school want to save money, so they hired some unqualified teachers that paid low salary. Some of these teachers still have in many schools.

Anyway, your arguments are not always correct. Kid skip school, so they should be penalized. But it doesn't always mean kid skip school to do bad things, so kids should not be penalized. We can give them advice not penalized them.

Costs school tax doesn't affect to the school's destiny. When student enrolled, they have to pay the full course. Even he or she doesn't come to study, but the school get money already. Nothing that Costs school tax will affect the school.

I still believe 'Students should not be penalized for missing classes'.

Finally, i am very happy and i feel interested with the arguments that we have made in this debate. I thank you again for The_Master that spent time debating with me. I hope we will have more chances discussing about other motions again.
The_Master_Riddler

Con

My opponent did not make the distinction that he is in a developing country. This completely changes the views on the debate.

Kids skip school, so they should get penalized. But it doesn't mean kid skip school to do bad things, so kids shpuld not be penalized.

Skipping school is the bad thing. It means you are leaving the school premises without the school knowing.

so students still have to find job by their own.

Finding a job doesn't mean they don't have to show up to school. People could be a part time student and a part time chef or something like that. College is shaped around a certain person's schedule, then they should have no excuse as to why they can't come to school.

Many school want to save money, so they hired some unqualified teachers that paid low salary. Some of these teachers still have in many schools.

Just because a teacher can't teach doesn't mean that give you the authority to leave class. Sometimes, telling the teachers the flaws in a learning style will improve the education of others more than you think.

In the US, grade school is paid by taxes. My teacher told me that you can't have too many unexcused absences because, if you do, the school will lose funding, which will result in budget cuts. You don't pay for your tuition, unless if you go to a private school.

Also, if a football player wanted to learn, then he will devote his time to school, but if he doesn't then why should they keep him at the school. If he doesn't come to school because he is practicing football, that shows people your priorities. Yoou have put football over education.
Thanks for this good debate.

My opponent was supposed to prove that in every situation, it is still wrong to punish a child for unexcused absences. I am supposed to prove that in any, not all, situation, that it is still right to punish people for missing school. I can understand why my opponent says his arguments, but at the end of the day, we all must realize that there is a consequence for every action we commit, wether it is good or bad. We must notice that it is not wise to not punish someone for doing something against the rules that they could have prevented from happening. Vote Con.

Vote Placed by ockcatdaddy 4 years ago
ockcatdaddy
sononThe_Master_RiddlerTied
Reasons for voting decision: i skip school alot and get in alot of trouble -_-
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
sononThe_Master_RiddlerTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro's only argument for why students should be penalized for skipping school was that sometimes they have a good reason to miss class. Con though defeated that argument quite easily, elaborated on the importance of attending class when you have the chance to, and in my opinion he was far more convincing with his arguments then the pro was. No use of sources, grammar and spelling were about even to me so I left all of those tied.................... Iffy debate, I give it 2 out of 4 stars
Vote Placed by wjmelements 4 years ago
wjmelements
sononThe_Master_RiddlerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither used sources. Pro's grammar is weak, but his use of quotations in place of apostrophe is particularly annoying. The negative constructive case is weak. No criteria for determining what should be penalized was established. The burden of proof was determined to belong to the negative for asserting said penalization.