support for the American downfall
Debate Rounds (3)
2. The government is not taking over the health care industry, that is simply false. Just because you see someone on TV say something doesn't mean its true. Once again if you want to go into the actual facts and arguments about this, then that's a debate of its own. Also if you agree that something needs to be done about health care, but don't like the proposed reform, then you should suggest some other reform, instead of just complaining.
3. The government is not out to "help themselves". That is just stupid. The existence of corruption within the government does not mean that every single person in it is greedy and selfish. The primary reason that people go into politics is to help people, not to achieve personal power. Also, how would this health care reform even benefit Obama and all of the congressman exactly?
4. Having public programs does not make America socialist. Nor is there any reason whatsoever, besides paranoia, to believe that this would lead communism. Not a single person in congress has the goal of turning America into a socialist or communist nation. Also, there is nothing evil about communism, lets not try to resurrect McCarthyism. It is a system designed to try to help people, its just that it doesn't work in practice on a large scale.
5. The majority of the American people are in favor of the health care reform. If your argument is that the government should do what Americans want, then you should be attacking the people blocking the reform.
Conclusion: You make absolutely no argument as to why what the Obama administration is doing is bad, only that it is. You need to stop watching Fox News.
2. I admit that I had not looked at the poll numbers in a few months, and it looks like they have changed some. But the numbers in support range from roughly 38% to 47%, and the numbers against from 49% to 56%. This is far from the American people overwhelmingly opposing the health care legislation. I would also argue that it is not politicians responsibility to do whatever the poll numbers say at that time, but to do whatever they believe is best for the country and is most moral (this is a question that goes back to the founding of the country, and would make a great debate on its own). And until you can point out specific problems with the legislation then there is no reason to assume that it is bad and should not be passed.
3. You never answered the question as to how Obama/congress' policies benefit the politicians. If they don't benefit the politicians, then how can the policies be selfishly motivated? I can appreciate being cynical, but if you really believe that every single politician only cares about themselves and never does anything to help the country, then I would say you're more in the realm of paranoia.
4. Unless by "far left liberals" you mean the most extreme 3% of the population, then no, liberals have no intent of giving the government complete control (note* no-one in congress is in this 3%). If that is what you thought, then I am happy to be the one to let you know that you have nothing to worry about. No one in congress is attempting to make the US a communist nation.
5. Social programs are necessary. Everyone in the country doesn't have equal opportunity. You've had to work really hard to put yourself through med school, while someone from a wealthier family may have all of their school paid for. Not to mention people with physical and mental handicaps which prevent them from having well paying jobs. Additionally, your belief that people will "abuse the system can sit on their butt and receive government aid" is unfounded. People don't use government aid to get by simply because they are lazy (except for a few very rare and extreme cases where mistakes were made). This is because people aren't given enough money to live comfortably, and the system is set up so that only people with legitimate reason are supposed to get welfare.
We still haven't actually gone into any specific merits or problems with the policies, and you can't really arrive at an informed decision without doing this. If you would like to debate each of these issues more specifically I would love to. Until then, this really isn't anything more than complaining.
amdonica forfeited this round.
PDavis forfeited this round.
1 votes has been placed for this debate.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
|Agreed with before the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Agreed with after the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Who had better conduct:||-||-||1 point|
|Had better spelling and grammar:||-||-||1 point|
|Made more convincing arguments:||-||-||3 points|
|Used the most reliable sources:||-||-||2 points|
|Total points awarded:||0||0|
Reasons for voting decision: FAIL DEBATE, as both sides dropped out... (checking the voting period debates, from Least To Most votes. By giving this one, it won't be prioritized in the system anymore.)
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.