surfing is better than skating

I am a surfer and a skater. I love both of them. I have thought that surfing was better but no one I know will argue with me. I will only argue with someone who truly believes that skating is better than surfing.

I haven't debated in a long time so we'll see how this goes...

1. Surfing is more expensive than skating. A good surf board can cost around $600 whereas a good skateboard costs around $60. In other words, surfing is limiting and can only be enjoyed by those who can afford it as opposed to a sport that can be enjoyed by everyone (or most people). Not only does the board itself cost more money, but so do a lot of the other equipment and things like wet suits, etc.

Source -
Source -

2. On that note, you can only enjoy surfing if you live in a few select key states. The only good places that you can really surf in the U.S. are California, Hawaii or Florida. Again, that is very limiting to people in other areas.

Source -

3. Surfing can be dangerous. It's considered very challenging, and noted that you need a high level of skill to do it correctly. Not only can it really only be enjoyed by those who have mastered the art, but even when you do get the hang of it, it could have really bad repercussions if you get hurt. Two negatives I'm pointing out in this bullet are first that it takes a way longer time to get used to it and learn it (making it frustrating at first), and second that it's more likely to severely hurt you. The power of the surf has hurt people, snapped their necks and killed them - more frequently than skate boarding, which usually only allows for some cuts and bruises.

Source -

4. You can only really surf if you're in great physical shape. Again, this is limiting.

Source -

5. When you're skating, you can control your environment. You can go to a skate park or even build your own. Surfing is inconsistent. You depend on mother nature to give you the elements and conditions you need. You can't design it for your optimal enjoyment. Also, you can skate both indoors and outdoors.

6. You can do far more tricks skating than you can surfing. Not only can you race another opponent while skating, but you can learn and create new tricks on a daily basis. With surfing, your stunts are limited.

I will leave it at that for now and see if my opponent can prove that surfing is better than skating.

1. skateboarding cost about 100 to 150 dollars for a complete skateboard. Also most skateboarding spots are in public areas causing a big fine usually about 100 dollars. When skateboarding you tear up your shoes that are usually about 50 to 80 dollars. At least you will spend about 200 dollars.

2. When surfing it is way more uncommon for a person to break bones than on skateboarding. There are people who surf 70 foot waves and get crushed by 70 foot waves and do not break one bone in there body. When you are skating you can even fall of a curb and break your arm. Also most kids now do not were helmets, so if they hit there head they could cause serious damage or even death.

3. True, when you skate you can create any trick. How is surfing limited I have seen online professional surfers who can kick flip on there surfboard. Also surfboards are just like skateboards only bigger so any trick that can be done on a skateboard can be done on a surfboard.

4. Anybody can surf, you don't need to be buff. When people start out surfing usually they are just like anyone else. After surfing many years they will become buff. They don't start out buff they become buff. In skating you don't become buff at all.

5. you can surf anywhere it isn't just limited to California Hawaii and Florida There happens to be surf in Japan, Costa Rica, South America, France, Italy, Sweden, Denmark, Canada, Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, and much more. In skateboarding you are only limited to land, also probably 95% of that land is illegal to skate on. Only giving you 5% of land to skate on legally.

6. Surfing gets respect. Not many people actually surf probably only 4% of the whole world surfs, this causes surfing to be respected. When skating you are usually disrespected, because skaters have got the reputation that they vandalise and are criminals. Also probably 90% of the world skates it is not rare to skate.

7. When surfing you thank mother nature you don't depend on it. You don't need to find a new spot every day. Unlike skating when you find a spot it stays the same boring old way. then the next day you need to find a whole new spot. Then the next day you need to find another. If the surf is bad you can walk down 200 feet and the surf will become very different.

I am still believing surfing is better lets see if you are too.

LaSalle forfeited this round.

surfer forfeited this round.

LaSalle forfeited this round.
Posted by surfer 6 years ago
it is not a trap i am the one debating and i am only 13
Posted by Koopin 6 years ago
I can't believe no one has taken this
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
Of course surfing is better. Try to take on a big wave with skates and you will be in serious trouble.
Posted by omelet 6 years ago
Indefinite voting period is cancerous.
Posted by wonderwoman 6 years ago
he could possibly beat him with surfboard?
Posted by Kleptin 6 years ago
Why skating is better than surfing:

You and I are walking back home from class and we run into a bunch of muggers. I am wearing my skates, you are holding your surfboard.

I skate away, and you get your surfboard stolen.
Posted by wjmelements 6 years ago
The voting period will last indefinitely.

Fix and I will accept.
Posted by Koopin 6 years ago
I am tempted to take this, but it could be a trap by Obama.
Vote Placed by LaSalle 6 years ago