vi_spex
Sunfire315

survival=morality

vi_spex

Pro

to walk the illogical path, i must do wrong things.. if i leave or kill my mates in a zombie outbreak i am more likly to be killed, it all comes down to morality
Sunfire315

Con

Their are many instances where the right thing to do is not helpful towards survival. Take for example the man who takes a bullet for his friend, or the man who stands up for the rights of jews, and is killed by the nazis.
vi_spex

Pro

right is logical.. a wrong can be right at the right moment

i have to have an example of that "a man taking a bullet of his friend" example, it might be illogical it might not

it is moral to kill zombies when its necessary
Sunfire315

Con

Self preservation can BE moral, though in and of itself it is at most a virtue, and even that is up for debate. Like I said before, the preservation of one self is not always the right thing to do. Also, logic in and of itself is no basis for morality. Logic may be able to tell you what is true or false about a given matter, (a matter which it generally applies poorly to is morality), but it is not the basis for right and wrong. the statement: "i am going to murder a child", is not in and of itself "illogical". It obeys the rules of logic, so it is not illogical. I am not saying that what is moral is the same in every situation, but that morality is not equivalent to survival. Another illustration for when doing the right thing is not beneficial to self survival is when a man sacrifices his life to stop a bomb detonating. He did the right thing, at the cost of his own life.
vi_spex

Pro

self preservation is moral.. it is illogical to let a little fly kill me slowly

right=logical(resonable)
wrong=illogical

logic is the measurement of resonable
Sunfire315

Con

???
I am sorry, you need to make your point clearer.

I mentioned before that in certain cases the logical thing to do is the right thing to do, so this really brings up no new points.
My point was that their are also circumstances where the right thing to do is not beneficial to your own survival, not that it would be irrational to do the wrong thing.
vi_spex

Pro

morality=logical

sure, so you are arguing that doing the wrong things is surviving
Sunfire315

Con

First off, my opponent is screwing with his argument. I deliberately and clearly stated that
"Self preservation can BE moral"
round 1 line 1.

(I swear if this is you denton...)
vi_spex

Pro

morality is logical...
Sunfire315

Con

I would like to conclude this debate by noting that my opponent no longer seems to be defending his central point, but shifted to defending "Morality is Logical". Poor conduct
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
selfpreservation is moral*