bullrider5
jaketaz

taxes

Started: 7/14/2012 Category: Economics

bullrider5

Con

I fell that the taxes the rich and wealth goverment officals take from us shouldnt be takein out in our cheacks and then in store purches or even the house we buy and for the schooling i am for a flat taxes this will inscure that good hard working citzens get taxed just as much as the rich. i also think that we need to get the officals outta office now they are just takeing this money and blowing it there is no reason we should pay is much as we do when in most cases the younger gentrations are not going to see social sucrity and we are just makeing a bill that they are going to have to pay off.
jaketaz

Pro

First of all, I would like to thank my opponent for providing me the opportunity to engage this debate.

For the purposes of this debate, and using my opponent's own opening argument, I would like to define a "tax" or "taxes" as "money that is automatically deducted from one's paycheck before receipt of said paycheck, for usage in government programs".

I do not believe these two different taxes should be combined, because it would serve no benefit to the country or its citizens, and would have disadvantages. Sales taxes are charged to offset the price of producing and transporting goods, and are also charged on some services as well. Taxes taken out of paychecks are proportional to a person's income, and are used to pay for helpful government programs such as libraries, schools, trash/sanitation, public transportation and law enforcement, and other services that most Americans use. There is no way to determine a flat rate tax that combines the two completely different taxes on sales and payroll, because everyone earns different wages, and the transportation and production of goods costs every state differently. Furthermore, it would cost the US a significant amount of time and money to implement a new tax system.

Secondly, I believe Americans should pay taxes according to their income, and do not believe that hardworking citizens should be taxed as much as the rich. Wealthy Americans have less need of public services than average Americans, but still use public services, thereby diverting resources away from needier people and driving up the cost of continuing public services. As such, the government has an ethical responsibility to tax wealthy Americans more.

I do not believe that we need to get the officials out of office now. Some American officials are very good at their jobs, and there is a lot of evidence to prove this. There are American officials that are not "blowing" money, and are in fact spending wisely and making efficient use of our tax dollars. Furthermore, there are far too many American officials to make a sweeping declaration that applies to all of them.

The statement that "younger generations are not going to see social sucrity (sic)" is false, as every tax-paying American pays money to the OASDI federal program, and is guaranteed to receive money from Social Security between the ages of 62-67 until the end of their life. If an American citizen has a Social Security number, participates in payroll taxes, and reaches retirement age, they will receive Social Security.

"Younger generations" will not have to "pay off" "a bill" that is being mounted by the current generation of American taxpayers, and as of current US law, no future generations will be required to use any received Social Security monies to pay any state bills.
bullrider5

Con

bullrider5 forfeited this round.
jaketaz

Pro

Since I have countered everything my opponent has said, it is not necessary for me to provide anything else until my opponent has brought something new to the debate.
bullrider5

Con

bullrider5 forfeited this round.
jaketaz

Pro

bullrider5

Con

bullrider5 forfeited this round.
jaketaz

Pro

bullrider5

Con

bullrider5 forfeited this round.
jaketaz

Pro

Although my opponent has forfeited the majority of the debate, I still made a reasonable and well-thought-out argument in Round 1. For this reason, I believe I have won the debate.

Hopefully next time we will be able to complete the debate. Thank you.