Tmurdock
TheFlashGordon

teachers ought to be armed to prevent school shootings

Tmurdock

Pro

Rules:
1. Provide resources
2. Stick to round layout
3. Have fun
4. Result of breaking any rule automatically results in forfeit of all points to me
5. If you accept this debate then you accept ALL terms and conditions stated

Rounds:
1: Acceptence, rules, round layout
2: Opening statements
3: Questions for opponent
4: Answers
5: Rebuttals and closing statements.

I accept and good luck! Let the debate begin!
TheFlashGordon

Con

I have accepted this debate while siding against the idea that we should arm teachers to prevent future shootings.

Following the rules, and round layout I will not open up with my argument until the next round.

I thank Tmurdock for having this debate with me!
Tmurdock

Pro

Intro: "Self-preservation is the first law of nature."
Samuel Butler
I have 3 points. We need to realize that these people in schools are defenseless. We need to arm teachers to prevent more school shootings and more deaths.
1: Why we need this. So many school shootings are going on. Readers I want you to think how less the risk would be if 1 guy with 3 guns went into a school and found teachers outside their doors with a total of 60+ guns aimed back at him. The shooter would run! Problem solved. More guns means less chance. The following link has experience in this type of field.
http://www.washingtontimes.com...
2: Who are in these schools. The answer is helpless teachers, faculty, and students. People without weapons and defenses.
3: Number of school shootings per year. Since the Sandy Hook shooting there has been on average 1 school shooting per week. The time to act is now. Here what senators have to say.
https://www.washingtonpost.com...

Conclusion: We need to arm teachers!
TheFlashGordon

Con

"The vast majority of teachers want to be armed with textbooks and computers, not guns."

School districts considering arming teachers and school staff with guns would take on significant responsibility and potential liabilities that I believe are beyond the expertise, knowledge-base, experience, and professional capabilities of most school boards and administrators. We live in a dangerous world. The fact that there is a debate over whether teachers should be armed proves that. But arming a teacher with a gun is having them go beyond their job as an educator.

Arming a teacher would raise several questions and much controversy.
  • Does the school have adequate policies on governing the carrying and use of firearms by the teachers and staff?
  • What sort of training would each teacher need to go through in order to obtain a weapon?
  • Will there be mental tests on the teachers who will be holding a weapon?
  • Will ALL teachers be required to have a weapon?
  • What if a parent is uncomfortable with their child going to school when all teachers are armed?
  • What are the Rules of Engagement?
  • How will the school manage an accidental shooting that may occur?
http://www.schoolsecurity.org...

Who would fund the money for the weapons? and could this money go for more security options, instead of arming educators?

Being a High School student, I've had the opportunity to talk to several of my teachers on the issue, and while they agree it is an option, they don't believe it is the best option.

Instead of arming the educators, couldn't we bring more law enforcement into the schools? Or better yet, bring veterans in to protect the school? In either of the scenarios I just mentioned, we would have a group of trained people in possession, and operating the weapons used to protect the students.

When teachers enter the occupation of being an educator, they are not signing up for an occupation that requires them to have anything but a will to educate the students on the studies provided. The job and responsibility of holding a weapon, and possibly using that weapon on another human being are for many other occupations including law enforcement, and military. The men and women of the United States military, and law enforcement swore to serve and protect the people of the United States, and that does include students. A teacher is meant to educate students for their future occupations, and future lifestyle.

I do agree that we need more protection in schools. With the several shootings that have happened over the last few years it is clear something needs to be done; and while arming teachers is an option, it is not the best option. There are other options out there besides arming the teachers that could save money, and guarantee better safety for the students.
Tmurdock

Pro

Tmurdock forfeited this round.
TheFlashGordon

Con

TheFlashGordon forfeited this round.
Tmurdock

Pro

No questions to answer.
TheFlashGordon

Con

TheFlashGordon forfeited this round.
Tmurdock

Pro

Tmurdock forfeited this round.
TheFlashGordon

Con

TheFlashGordon forfeited this round.