smallstar1200
princeyuki

teaching evolution in school

princeyuki

smallstar1200

Con

religions should be taught as well
princeyuki

Pro

Religions should be taught in schools as well, because they are an important part of cognitive and personal development.
smallstar1200

Con

thank you for agreeing i guess evolution could be taught but i would want to have religions as well. oyu know what i mean
princeyuki

Pro

yes, i do. I understand exactly. Religions are important...especially to children, and need to be encouraged.
smallstar1200

Con

i agree if i was still a child i would want to be taught there's some place after death. If i wasn't i would be afraid of death.
princeyuki

Pro

Yes. I feel the same way. If they had taught me something worthwhile..like eternal life in Christ or something...i probably would have actually paid attention and learned something.
smallstar1200

Con

i know how you feel if they teach me evolution i wont pay attention because it doesn't explain anything to me
princeyuki

Pro

yes. of course. Its great to find a like mind here.
smallstar1200

Con

smallstar1200 forfeited this round.
princeyuki

Pro

(: They're starting evolution in my sisters biology class, but they say nothing about life after death...
Posted by LotusNG 4 years ago
LotusNG
Was... Was that a debate or an agreement?
Posted by Mustachero 4 years ago
Mustachero
Guys please, less handholding more debating.
Posted by narmak 4 years ago
narmak
I never understood why people fear death I mean what's so scary about it. You may fear death because that means you are leaving your loved ones but even then why turn to religion when the
end result is the same. Religion should not be taught in school as it stops people from asking questions and if questions are not asked then people can never learn. Teaching kids that a magical being created everything in 7 days without any shred of evidence is just insane. Please do not bring up morals they are not a result of religion. I will say that evolution does not explain a lot but that is only because our understanding of how it works is not yet complete. and the fact that there are a ton of questions that still need to be answered. The problem with this world today is that too many people are religious to the point where they believe these holy books to be 100% true and anything that slightly contradicts them is automatically false.(I know a lot of these people) My uncle thinks that one of the prophets in the quran split the moon in half and put it back together. And thinks people who believe in evolution are insane
Posted by smallstar1200 4 years ago
smallstar1200
cool idc what you guys think
Posted by Misfire 4 years ago
Misfire
This is ridiculous. There is no debate here. I fully intend to voice the opposition in comment form, as I cannot allow the idea of religions being taught in the school system an easy win.

I'm considering this debate only to public schools, since a private school's affairs and teachings are none of my, or any of your, concern.

Let's address the facts: 1) Evolution is not a religion, nor is it taught to discredit one's belief in any religion. Many religious people, denominations, and churches (and not just in Christianity) accept evolution as a truth. 2) Evolution is supported by science through simple empirical observations such as the law of natural selection, and various other amounts of evidence. 3) Religion is not supported by any empirical evidence. That's not to argue that they are untrue, however, simply that the evidence, outside of flawed logical arguments, does not exist in any form. 4) Teaching 'religion' is schools is impossible, as covering one more than another creates a bias. Even limiting the content to covering only the mainstream religions is unfair, seeing how there are thousands of religions in the world that deserve equal coverage.

Considering that schools are (at least are supposed to be) havens for the mind, nurturing the ability to think, rationalize, and understand, teaching any sort of unsupported theory is a violation of their intended purpose. One could attempt to argue that there is evidence for the undeniable truth of their religion, but until that becomes supported by clear empirical evidence, even if they are right, teaching these things in the school system will remain an absurd idea with no actual backing.
Posted by davidtaylorjr 4 years ago
davidtaylorjr
I thought this was supposed to be a debate....
Posted by StevenDixon 4 years ago
StevenDixon
This debate makes my head hurt.
Vote Placed by LotusNG 4 years ago
LotusNG
smallstar1200princeyukiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit