tech in class

I do not think that tech in class should be a thing because kids are seeing too many bad ads, it would cost too much money and kids could cheat. That is why I think there should not be tech in class

I would like to thank my opponent for opening this debate and allowing me to accept.

As my opponent has not laid out any rules or regulations, I will do so myself. The burden of proof will be shared between both sides. To articulate and define the context of the debate, I will formulate a resolution based upon the topic and my opponent’s arguments in the first round. I will be on the Pro (in favor) side of this debate, whereas my opponent will be on the Con (against) this resolution.

Resolved: Technology should be allowed in classes at school.

The resolution defined, I will, just as my opponent has, begin argumentation in the first round. Allow me to begin. First, however, allow me to provide a definition for “tech” or rather, “technology.”

Technology: a machine, piece of equipment, method, etc., that is created by technology.

In the context of the debate, this would explicitly refer to various facets of technology used to benefit and better the education of the students. Examples include, but are not limited to: computers, tablets, SMART Boards, et cetera. With the definition cleared up, let’s begin argumentation.

Contention One: Technology is beneficial to students’ education.

A multiplicity of benefits are evident to students’ education due to the implementation of technology in their classes.

Subpoint A: Increase in motivation and self-esteem.

Students have an increase in motivation and self-esteem by allowing students to receive instantaneous results and move at an exponentially quicker rate.

An article titled “Effects of Technology on Classrooms and Students” explains this effect, “Teachers talked about motivation from a number of different perspectives. Some mentioned motivation with respect to working in a specific subject area, for example, a greater willingness to write or to work on computational skills. Others spoke in terms of more general motivational effects--student satisfaction with the immediate feedback provided by the computer and the sense of accomplishment and power gained in working with technology.” [1] The article then proceeds to interview teachers from various grade levels, sharing their views and experiences with technology in class. The author draws five credible examples to back up this singular point, all of which speak favorably of technology, and share the success they have had using it in their personal classrooms.

Further, this motivation and self-esteem can be achieved through the ease of collaboration between students and even teachers. Allowing technology to be prevalent in schools provides various forms of collaborations that allow students to work together easily. In turn, this gives students a better ability to work in groups, thus promoting teamwork and boosting individual confidence.

Subpoint B: Better access to information.

Before the Internet, schooling was much more difficult, as the EdTechReview explains, however, technology combined with the internet allows for ease of access. “Many years ago we couldn’t imagine that we can get to know new information without going out of the house. Mothers examined new recipes from the book that they borrow in the libraries. Fathers bought newspapers to learn the updated information from business, economy and society. Students all evenings spent in the libraries to write the report, project or academic paper. Today information is easily accessed thanks to the internet. Meanwhile, online courses are accessible to the students who are unable to attend traditional educational buildings because of health or other complications. It is a convenient way to study.” [2]

This easy access to essential material can only benefit students and increase their learning ability. With so much more information available at the click of a button, work can be done more quickly and efficiently than it has ever been done in the past. This beneficiary to technology allows more teaching to be done, allowing more students to be taught more things, thus creating a more learned and educated society in the future.

Subpoint C: Personalization of individual education.

Advancement of education is in direct correlation with technology, primarily due to the increase of personalization between classroom activities and the students themselves. When the curriculum is adjusted to fit the students, the teachers and students both receive benefits. On one hand, the teachers are less likely to be forced to deal with a lethargic student. On another, the students are more likely to understand more and enjoy learning.

A Huffington Post article articulates the disparity between “old-style” teaching and modern technologically involved education. “In traditional teaching (lecturing, working from a textbook, and taking notes, for example), it's easy for students to fall into a passive role. Even the best students who have a natural passion for learning can have trouble paying attention to a teacher's lecture. But when technology is involved, students are more likely to be engaged in learning. Students need to press buttons, think out problems, and manipulate the tools they have to achieve a goal. Educational technology can improve focus among students and it caters to students who learn independently and to those who are more collaborative.” [3]

Contention 2: Popularity and success stories confirm the claim of classroom technology benefits.

The statistics fall in favor of the claim that classroom technology is an overall benefit to education.

In fact, DigEdu (Digital Education), a company that partners with schools and districts to advance education and the implementation of technology, explained some statistics regarding classroom technology. “Nearly 90% of teachers report that both they and their students use technology in class, indicating that technology in education is prevalent… 92% report positive effects of technology on student engagement… 82% report positive effects of technology on teaching experience… 90% report positive effects of technology on student participation…” [4]

Furthermore, we see definite benefits from preparation for the future. The National Math and Science Initiative documented, “By learning to use technology in the classroom, both teachers and students will develop skills essential for the 21st century. But more than that, students will learn the critical thinking and workplace skills they will need to be successful in their futures. Education is no longer just about learning and memorizing facts and figures; it’s about collaborating with others, solving complex problems, developing different forms of communication and leadership skills, and improving motivation and productivity.” [5]

Seeing too many bad ads

1. Filters can and have been used to block such content.

2. Google Chrome has multiple ad block extensions.

Cost too much money

1. The costs can be paid for in replacement of traditional teaching tools.

2. The potential extra expense is well worth the benefits.

Kids could cheat

1. Schools can block cheating sites.

2. Teachers can instruct that there be no use of technology during exams, thus effectively nullifying any chance of cheating.

debatedog32 forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited. Extend arguments.

debatedog32 forfeited this round.

Vote Placed by 16kadams 1 year ago