lord_megatron
alric8

technology is not being used properly in schools

alric8

lord_megatron

Pro

Why do we still write when we can type? Why do we still have plastic folders when a laptop folder is far better? Schools are not using the advantages of technology properly. They should start catching up with the world
alric8

Con

I accept;

Writing is fundamental skill. If someone tells you a date when something is happening you may need to turn on your phone, start up the app and type up the date, of course after that very long and awkward wait a phone does come into it's own, but it is often better to just write it down and then put it on your phone when you have time.
Schools do use technology properly anyway. Smart boards have long replaced whiteboards, and the primary schools I went to started using electric registers in year 1. I then went to a very prestigious secondary school from year 7 onwards. essays were thread through special machines that recognised copyrighted phrases, saving the school millions of pounds, and basically everything that could be stored in a laptop folder was. The problem was that the printers were constantly braking down, the computers kept on crashing and cyberattacks were hard to keep out.
If you spend 8 hours on a screen your eyes hurt, and it is actually damaging. The utterly ridiculous school hours in the US, that means I woke up at the same time as students in the US (I lived 30km from school, I lived in central London), just mean your eyes get hurt more.
Typing is loud, there have been no 'silent keyboard' inventions yet, or at least, none that allow you to touch type. If everyone was typing down notes in a lesson the teacher has to shout.
One day I want to be an architect, to be specific, a neofuturistic one. This is probably, bar developing technology, one of the most tech-heavy jobs you can get, but I couldn't of got this far without learning about reading and writing.
lord_megatron

Pro

Writing is a very buggy skill as well.
Half the people can't read my handwriting. Thousands of trees are wasted for those handwriting practice books.
Smart boards have replaced white boards, but still the stylus is not used for writing work.
Phone typing is very fast. I just have to flip the cover, open the app and start typing. But for writing, I will first get paper, then a pen, and if it is out of ink then again. Bad handwriting can become a serious problem.
Electric registers? Not yet used widely I guess.
Essay were put through special machines, but there are apps for that. Lots of trees and machinery could have been saved if those essays were soft-copies. Plagiarism detector soft wares are free and many.
'The problem was that the printers were constantly braking down, the computers kept on crashing and cyber-attacks were hard to keep out.'
Who needs printouts? Upload on google drive or something else. Computers crashing may be due to a bad model or not deletion of useless data, or not clearing the recycle bin, which would increase memory and cause crashes. As for cyber-attacks, that isn't really common and there is nothing an anti-virus software won't stop, anyways you won't be dealing with pro hackers you are just a student.
Loud typing is a result of improper typing, and also many offices use many computers, they don't get bugged. And the touch-keyboard has been invented already, please get a touch laptop there is the on-screen keyboard.
For eye-hurting, put on screen savers that reduce the impact of the rays and reduce that full brightness.
'This is probably, bar developing technology, one of the most tech-heavy jobs you can get, but I couldn't of got this far without learning about reading and writing.'
Reading doesn't count as e-books, websites etc. are far more resourceful than normal books.
alric8

Con

Technology is being used in properly in schools, why, because it is being used, now some rebuttals:

R1: "Half the people can't read my handwriting"
If you live in the UK, I'm worried, if not, the education you live in is what you suffer from and that's why people can read you're handwriting.

R2: "Thousands of trees are wasted for those handwriting practise books"
Thousands are used for rubber production as well.

R3: "Phone typing is very fast. I just have to flip the cover, open the app and start typing"
That requires you to leave your phone on, that will cause huge distraction to the class if you get a phone call, and what if the sun is shining and you can't see the screen, you can close the blinds, but in that time you could have took the pen out of your pocket and started writing.

R4: "if it is out of ink again"
What if the phone is not working? It is as likely as not having a working phone, but you can't ask a friend for a spare phone and you could have spent that money on a tree regrowth project anyway.

R5: "Bad handwriting can become a serious problem"
Unsaved computer files can also become a problem, and you can't just say people will get in the habit of it as people would just get in the habit of good handwriting.

R6: "Electric registers? Not widely used I guess."
In the UK many schools have systems in which you register using your thumb [1]. I would like to mention the article was written in 2008, 7 years ago. A lot has changed since then. It is not without it's problems, but it is used and you can't argue about that.

R7: "Who needs printouts?"
People who want to be able to annotate work, or not have to rely on a good WIFI or phone signal. Phones are too small anyway (that's for this job, not for their primary purpose).

R8: "There are apps for that"
I will do an experiment using an app an documented essays and tell you the results in the comments before round three.

R9: Computer crashing may be due to a bad model... cause crashes"
This is too much to have to worry about, it is so much easier to just keep it on paper

R10: "There is nothing anti-virus software can't stop"
I think you will find if Stuxnet can pierce American cyber defences, viruses can get into pretty much anything.

R11 "Loud typing is improper typing"
This typing is very loud and however I slowly and softly I touch the keyboard it won't be silent, not even quiet, but easily enough to get on someone's nerves during an exam. that rules out the basis of your point, that handwriting is inconvenient to learn. You cannot therefore say that I need to become better at typing, that is no more convenient.

R12: "Please get a touch laptop there is an on screen keyboard"
I can't touch type with that as it is irresponsive and slow (this computer also has an on screen keyboard so I know) and all this expense adds up, I am fairly well off but even this is seeming like a lot of money.

I should mention that right now I am getting a glitch that is saying every word is repeated.

R13: "For eye hurting put on screen savers that reduce the impact of rays and turn that full brightness"
I have done both and neither help, this is taking a lot of work anyway.

I should mention this is from one of the most tech-savvy people you will ever meet.

A1: Other human effects;
Screens prevent sleep, fact.

A2: Symbols
If you were to have every symbol on a keyboard it would have to be enormous. If I have to write a paragraph explaining how a building I deigned is resistant to certain temperatures I will often be having to write the degree sign that means I have to constantly go to the extra symbols menu, there is no way to turn this problem into something that is not.

A3: Cost
The cheapest laptop I found at curries PC world is "349.99 ($539.21) [2], the same price as 22,000 pieces of paper found at rhyman's [3]. If you were to store that much in a cheap laptop it would crash, not that you need that much anyway. why should I have to shop around for a laptop when I don't have to shop around for paper? Due to the fact not that much paper is needed that still leaves easily enough money for stationary.

Over to you
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[1] http://www.yorkpress.co.uk...

[2] http://www.currys.co.uk...

[3] http://www.ryman.co.uk...
lord_megatron

Pro

I have even tried practice books, but somehow it doesn't improve. That is a separate issue anyway.
Laptops don't have rubber, if technology was used no rubber, no sharpener, no pen and no paper shall be needed.
You can tune the brightness to make it easier to see the screen in sunlight. That requires you to leave the phone on in silent mode. You can disable vibration and all sounds in settings.
R4: "if it is out of ink again"
'What if the phone is not working? It is as likely as not having a working phone, but you can't ask a friend for a spare phone and you could have spent that money on a tree regrowth project anyway.'
That phone which I bought is supposed to survive 10 years if it is good model, so we'll waste more money on paper and other stationery. Plus, what if the ink leaks? Then you need to get another pen AND your hands are smeared. It is much better if the phone crashes, which is rare, and a restart would fix it.
'Unsaved computer files can also become a problem, and you can't just say people will get in the habit of it as people would just get in the habit of good handwriting.'
Word has autosave option, and also while closing all apps ask 'do you want to save this file' and I don't see why I person would still press no.
'In the UK many schools have systems in which you register using your thumb [1]. I would like to mention the article was written in 2008, 7 years ago. A lot has changed since then. It is not without it's problems, but it is used and you can't argue about that.'
What was it used for by the way?
R7: "Who needs printouts?"
You can annotate work using shapes, it is a drag but still. Also it depends on what kind of work. If it is a diagram, we can just get a stylus pen and edit it directly. And who told you you cannot work on labeling offline?
R8: "There are apps for that"
'I will do an experiment using an app an documented essays and tell you the results in the comments before round three.'
There are paid and free soft wares, like Turnitin and Viper.
Why would a good hacker want to hack a student's laptop? It is not like we have anything valuable. If it is for cheating, they could just hack the teacher's laptop.
'This is too much to have to worry about, it is so much easier to just keep it on paper'
Paper is too much to worry about. Not doodling on your work, keeping it safe from water and not tearing it in angry writing, that is irritating as well.
R11 "Loud typing is improper typing"
'This typing is very loud and however I slowly and softly I touch the keyboard it won't be silent, not even quiet, but easily enough to get on someone's nerves during an exam. that rules out the basis of your point, that handwriting is inconvenient to learn. You cannot therefore say that I need to become better at typing, that is no more convenient.;;
Well, some keyboards have some spongy covering that seems to reduce sound and keep out dust. Also, handwriting is not easy for me, typing may not be easy but just type patiently, it won't cause problems. Also keep your fingers near the keyboard, distance increases the force and sound.
You are getting devices from China or what? I seem to be having none of your issues. Also, then you'll never be able to type in a phone.
Turn that full brightness to the lowest setting then, also go to graphic settings and adjust contrast.
A1: Other human effects;
Screens prevent sleep, fact.
Then I should never be able to sleep and be suffering from insomnia.
A2: Symbols
Stylus can be used, symbol can be copied from one place to another. Although it is a drag, suppose you have to write the same sentence thrice in your essay. You would have to write it instead of copy paste, wasting time. Also listing your sources is a long drag in writing.
A3: Cost
'The cheapest laptop I found at curries PC world is "349.99 ($539.21) [2], the same price as 22,000 pieces of paper found at rhyman's [3]. If you were to store that much in a cheap laptop it would crash, not that you need that much anyway. why should I have to shop around for a laptop when I don't have to shop around for paper? Due to the fact not that much paper is needed that still leaves easily enough money for stationary.'
22,000 pieces of paper won't crash your laptop as you wouldn't keep your grade 6 work in grade 12. So, proper management of files will cause no crashes. Also, when you get a laptop, you only need it and its accessories. But, stationery includes, paper, pen, scale, eraser, sharpener etc. which may end up costing more than a laptop.
extra point
R10- Also, there will be a problem of waste. Once done with paper, stationery, folders, books it will go in the bin, adding up to world waste. Not all of it is recycled. On the other hand all laptop parts can be sold and then dismantled by an inventor to modify or use in a new model, or simply sold as second-hand. Moreover, usage of laptop is throughout life, from facebook to work. But used paper won't be needed again.
Lets hope I can win this debate.
alric8

Con

This world would not work if we did not know how to put pen to paper and write. We can't stop teaching that, even if we greatly reduce teaching it. Technology is used the right amount in schools. Essays ARE typed, and ICT is a common enough subject. But Paper and pen can't be completely taken out of the equation. My argument revolves around the fact technology is used to the right level - Why? It has to be used where it can afford to be used, and that is what schools who have the money are doing, or at least in the UK. If we were to only type that is also basically teaching the next generation money grows on trees. It doesn't, and people need to know that. Education has to be at least a bit of a compromise.
Vote Placed by phiLockeraptor 2 years ago
phiLockeraptor
lord_megatronalric8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made a negative assertion as the resolution and argued Pro instead of making a positive claim and arguing Con. I consider this grounds for losing the conduct point, because it added unneeded confusion to the structure of the round. The arguments were very antecedal, and while Con had better arguments, Pro still upheld their Burden of Proof in proving that "technology is not being used properly in schools." This is a conduct win,