bearski
theiphone6s

teenage sex

bearski

bearski

Con

Three girls ages 16, 17, and 19 are sentenced to terms not to exceed three years in the State Reformatory For Women after being convicted as wayward minors. The girls were found to be at risk for moral depravity for habitual underage drinking and for engaging in premarital sexual intercourse

My opponent may choose to defend the girl's sentence or to oppose it. I will take the opposite side from my opponent. Participants in this debate must accept as true the basic facts listed in the scenario. However other facts may be inferred.
theiphone6s

Pro

I am going to be quite frank here. The girls knew that the actions that there were committing is against the law. The girls probably thought that they were "cool" or that was just the "norm" in today's society. They are minors and shouldn't be engaging in these types of things. Even if the 19-year-old was old enough to have sex, she was not old enough to drink. Underage drinking can effect the brain and how it works because the brain doesn't stop developing till you're about my age (21).
bearski

Con

Even if one were to stipulate to the girl's 'crimes' as I have insisted on in the opening argument. These are what are known as status offenses -- crimes which can only be committed by children in archaic legal language by infants. That last word is important because you don't or shouldn't send infants to adult correctional facilities when their 'crimes' are not the crimes of adults.

To clarify the 19 year old girl was sent to the women's reformatory as a wayward minor for sexual promiscuity by a child in addition to underage drinking. The purpose of her sentence and that of the younger children is to protect them from the consequences of their own behavior. That is fine and laudable but there are better and more appropriate ways to do it.

In other words society is within its rights to address the girls inappropriate behavior but there are better, more appropriate, and effective ways to do it
theiphone6s

Pro

theiphone6s forfeited this round.
bearski

Con

it appears my opponent has chosen not to extent the debate at least for now. The argument offered by my opponent previously was the punishment imposed on the girls was justified because they knew their behavior was against the law and chose to engage in it anyway. In the case of the oldest girl Pro suggests promiscuous sex might be acceptable but underage drinking isn't because it has an adverse on the child's brain.

Pro argues the girls should be punished at least because their conduct is against the law but didn't specify if s/he agrees with the punishment imposed. I agree the girls have broken the law and should receive some type of sanction but don't think the punishment they received is what is best for them. The alternatives to prison include a term in a secure juvenile facility although I would question the appropriateness of that as well. Besides the scenario leaves out specifically why they weren't sent to a children's correction institution. although the label habitual in describing their offenses might give a clue.

So what are the alternatives: corporal punishment, community service, fines, mandatory counseling or some combination of them.
theiphone6s

Pro

theiphone6s forfeited this round.
theiphone6s

Pro

theiphone6s forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by lord_megatron 11 months ago
lord_megatron
bearskitheiphone6sTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited, so a conduct point goes to con