samuelong135
wampe

teens should NOT stay with parents after 18 years old.

samuelong135

Con

i make this debate topic is because my school is debating this title ......
wampe

Pro

samuelong135

Con

samuelong135 forfeited this round.
wampe

Pro

wampe forfeited this round.
samuelong135

Con

samuelong135 forfeited this round.
wampe

Pro

wampe forfeited this round.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Why not just mind our own business. It appears this generation is a generation of busybodies.When I graduated from high school, I saw no need to leave for about a year. Not because I could not pay my way. Because there was no need. My mother was alone anyway. And I did pay her. .And there is such a thing as tough love or righteous love. Why not stop all government programs. That would be love. Let those people find their way back to honor and dignity.Instead of keeping them dependent on government. An evil entity at best.
Posted by Malacoda 2 years ago
Malacoda
http://www.debate.org...

If you want to check it out.
Posted by Malacoda 2 years ago
Malacoda
To clarify for you commentators, samuel is FOR kids staying with their parents after they reach the age of 18. He had another debate over the same topic and it led to some pretty hilarious confusion.
Posted by Raytrek 2 years ago
Raytrek
I don't think it is that simple, if the can and/or want to leave I'm for, but it shouldn't be expected. Maybe a time should come when they need prompting to leave for their own sake and their parents, but I'd say not before 21.
Posted by Mr.Chorlton 2 years ago
Mr.Chorlton
so your for them staying after 18 or against?
Posted by Raytrek 2 years ago
Raytrek
Basically the question is if allowing them to stay stunts their independence? I don't think anyone in society is truly independent, no one knows everything and no one is completely self sufficient, we depend on truck drivers to stock the supermarket, depend on farmers to stock the trucks, depend on mechanics and tradesmen, depend on doctors, society is a complex web of interdependence, and the closer we are to people the greater it is. Family is supposed to be something you can depend on, and if you love each other it is.

However the idea of "tough love" is a solid principle; it is under pressure that we adapt and adaption makes us stronger, when we are each stronger it takes workload off everyone else. I say "If you don't give kids enough they cannot grow, give them too much and they don't want to grow" so I'd say it is a fine line between what they can handle, hence grow, versus what will break them, which is something you want to avoid as it will make everything more difficult for everyone. But 18 is a ridiculous age to cast ye out in my opinion, if they are capable then sure, but generally this is right in the middle of their most important schooling years and they need support.