masterzanzibar
2manyproblems1

That Social Networking Websites make user's more vulnerable to identity theft

masterzanzibar
Started: 12/8/2008 Category: Technology

masterzanzibar

Pro

affirm the resolution that social networking websites make users more vulnerable to identity theft and crime

I. Facts about identity theft
According to the Gartner study the 2006 victim population was at 15 million victims. That means every minute about 28 � people become a new victim of this crime, or a new victim in just over 2 seconds.
Studies on the total cost of identity theft vary. One study said that identity theft cost U.S. businesses and consumers $56.6 billion in 2005. http://www.idtheftcenter.org...
According to The Identity Theft Knowledge Center in 2008, one out of the top 5 methods for criminals to steal an Identity is to access "Online sources of personal data" or Social Networking Websites.

II. Excessive Information
Experts are saying that the excessive amounts of information released on social networking websites make users vulnerable to identity theft.
According to Linda Criddle, an Internet security consultant, you have assumptions of safety that are not correct… It usually takes me nine minutes to collect enough information a criminal needs to target anyone for a crime, she said. And the occasional automatic "out-of-office" e-mail response that tells criminals how long they have to rob a house.
http://investing.businessweek.com...

Sorry the ideas and points are a bit fragmented I'm trying to develop a case for this weekend. Good luck my esteemed opponent!
2manyproblems1

Con

Yes, you have facts, but networking sites don't make you more vunerable to identity theft. It's what you post on these websites and if you leave that stuff up there, then you should be careful. Everyone knows the dangers so if you still choose to do it, it's your own damn fault.
masterzanzibar

Pro

Ill Go CON--|> PRO
"Yes, you have facts, but networking sites don't make you more vunerable to identity theft."

In Fact it does.
The sole purpose of social networking sites is to gather your information so you can share that information with those around you. If Social Networking Websites were not there to begin with, there would not be access to this information so easily.

"It's what you post on these websites and if you leave that stuff up there, then you should be careful"

again I assert that the sole purpose of these sites is to gather information from users to connect each other with common intrests. Lets take E- harmony.com for example. Thousands, perhaps millions of users post personal information such as their home adress, their age, their height, their weight, their skin color, sexual oreintation, ect. it is the purpose of the site to gather this information and display it publicly. Thus, making them more vulnerable to identity theft and cyber crime.

"Everyone knows the dangers so if you still choose to do it, it's your own damn fault."
I concede that it is your decision but the reality is that people who use them are more vulnerable to identity theft, i have already provided the evidence from RD 1 to substantiate.

Extend my points as they were untouched, and please vote pro.
2manyproblems1

Con

2manyproblems1 forfeited this round.
masterzanzibar

Pro

masterzanzibar forfeited this round.
2manyproblems1

Con

2manyproblems1 forfeited this round.
masterzanzibar

Pro

masterzanzibar forfeited this round.
2manyproblems1

Con

2manyproblems1 forfeited this round.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 5 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Well duh it doesn't help their identity in anyway!
Posted by Logical-Master 5 years ago
Logical-Master
Though for the heck of it (mainly boredom), I will examine your analogy (don't respond if you don't wish to counter someone who is simply playing devil's advocate):

That's not quite like saying that a psychopath with a gun would be just as dangerous with a banana as the topic concerns cause. X causes X.

I will agree that one is more likely to become vulnerable to identity theft through joining a social networking website and providing all of their information, but that still doesn't change the fact that one's decision to join as well as submit countless information to the networking site in the first place is what makes one more vulnerable to identity theft. We must keep in mind that the Networking Website does not FORCE you to contribute all of this information. In fact, for the debate.org tournmanet, I had created a facebook account which had the name of one of my favorite video game characters. None of my actual information was submitted in the process of making this account. At most, the website simply has my email address (an address which I don't even use as a matter of fact). Noting this as the case, how can one suggest that the social networking website (facebook) has made me more vulnerable to identity theft? Clearly, the cause is none other than than the users.

To make a long story short, it is not the gun which causes the danger, but rather the psychopath who is wielding the gun.
Posted by Logical-Master 5 years ago
Logical-Master
My post was made in good humor. As suggested by comment mastajake's topic, I like to make note of a semantical counter to the topic every ounce in a while and wouldn't dream of seriously insisting that anyone take up said position while knowing full well that they'd get voted down without hesitation.
Posted by InquireTruth 5 years ago
InquireTruth
That is like saying a psychopath with a gun would be just as dangerous with a banana. I would say the gun in the hands of the psychopathic user increases the potential for danger.
Posted by Logical-Master 5 years ago
Logical-Master
Quite simple really. The social networking websites don't make users more vulnerable to identity theft. The users make users more vulnerable to identity theft. :D
Posted by Johnicle 5 years ago
Johnicle
How can you negate this?
Posted by PoeJoe 5 years ago
PoeJoe
I know where you live... approximately!
Posted by masterzanzibar 5 years ago
masterzanzibar
P.S. i apologize for the grammatical blunder within the resolution my esteemed opponent and spectators.
Vote Placed by masterzanzibar 5 years ago
masterzanzibar
masterzanzibar2manyproblems1Tied