jemual
Patrick_Henry

THBT: modern technology does more harm than good

Started: 2/9/2008 Category: Technology

jemual

Pro

First and foremost I would like to define some terms that I would be including in this debate proper

What is modern technology?

Technology is a systematic knowledge and action, usually of industrial processes but applicable to any recurrent activity. Technology is closely related to science and to engineering. Science deals with humans' understanding of the real world about them—the inherent properties of space, matter, energy, and their interactions. Engineering is the application of objective knowledge to the creation of plans, designs, and means for achieving desired objectives. Technology deals with the tools and techniques for carrying out the plans. (I don't need to define what modern (duh?!) is because debaters should already know it).

Global Warming, Pollution etc.

They are some disorders or to specific, products from technology that destroy a humans immune system because of bacteriae and viruses.

Points of reasoning why it does more harm than good

1.) Dependence of peoples (all around the world) in technology

2.) side effects which lead to disastrous end

3.) age bracket goes down

4.) Effects of technology to humans (kids --> adults)

and

5.) More lost than gained

These lines of reasoning will be explained at round 2 and if possible i can do the rebuttal.

Waiting for someone to take my challenge (and I hope that you will surely love to debate with me and I hope that i will to)
Patrick_Henry

Con

As a classical historian, there was really no way I could turn down this debate.

Your definition of technology is acceptable, and ironically it is only fit to define modern technology. I would, however, like to define the phrase modern technologies as being technologies that began to develop in the late age of discovery, through the age of reason and into the industrial era and now the post-industrial era which is frequently referred to as the info age, or computer age in spite of the lack of accuracy both of those terms bear. Or, the last 350 years.

1.) The level of technology cannot be blamed for the mishaps of humanity, or the destruction of our civilization, species, or environment. The fault does not lie within the tool, but within the user. Humanity is solely to blame for the problems that their irresponsible use of technology has caused.

2.) In all of recorded history humanity has always been dependent on technology. From the simplest plow, to the most complicated combine, or agriculture has dependent on tools and the proper use of them. Cities, nations, peoples, and civilizations have in the past risen and fallen in the past without having the advantages of modern technology to accelerate their demises, or to aid them in sustaining themselves.

3.) We have the scientific understanding of the damage that we are doing to ourselves, there is a large portion of the population that accepts the damage that we're doing to ourselves, and yet we do nothing. Technology cannot be the cause of our demise when we are aware of its destructive forces, and have the ability to curb the destruction and choose not to act.

4.) Not only can we not blame technology for our downfall, we owe every achievement of the last two centuries, good or bad, to the advancement of technology.

I will, however, concede that individuals living thousands of years ago were likely happier with their stations in life and that technology has stripped some of the simplest pleasures from our lives. They had much more realistic expectations.
jemual

Pro

Good day Mr. Patrick. I wouldn't want you to let history enter this debate because you are a classical HISTORIAN and I'm only an average student who loves to write. I discourage you to post some facts about history. Since you are including history in it I have no choice but to limit the debate
Parameters of the debate:

1.) the scope of the debate can be focused around the world

2.) History is not recommended but a practical answer is needed

3.) This debate is limited in simpler words because this debate will be informal (a friendly debate)

Please do consider my parameters for this debate because I wouldn't want an opponent with an unpaired knowledge with his co-debater. Being fair is what debate really is about. Debate is yet a type of argumentation where in you should defend your part of your share. I get troubled when you state these:
"As a classical historian, there was really NO way I could turn down this debate"

I wouldn't want it, for a debate, to tell it this way. Even in my previous debate, I don't address this to my opponent even if he is nearly UNBEATABLE like "Circumcision is necessary and ethical". For me, being the pro (first to come) here, it is impossible to beat him because it is obvious to all that it is not necessary and ethical. So, why debate if you are sure to take it down? But as a debater, who wants challenge, I accepted it but too bad I lost. I just don't want those sentences because it makes his/her opponent to think that he is superior (in such a way). Sorry if you're offended or something but I just get troubled when I receive this.

"I will, however, concede that individuals living thousands of years ago were likely happier with their stations in life and that technology has stripped
some of the simplest pleasures from our lives"

I observed that you were just fighting yourself.

Anyways , I would like you to be straight to the point (not using long descriptions and sentences even if you can just say it in one word) because my comprehension these days are a little bit burned out (laughs). You're statements are with flowery words and I prefer words with are of simpler and understandable meaning. Sorry if I was so over acting but I really have a hard time if that's the case. Thanks if you can understand…Teehee…
And on with the debate…

I would like to summarize all your statements in proper number:

1.) The fault does not lie within the tool but with the user. So, you were saying that it was the problem of humans that made technology turn this way

2.)They were dependent on technology since the start of everything. Early years, the loss of technology resulted to their demises.

3.)Technology must not be blamed because even if we know the problem it does, we do nothing

4.)We owe it all to technology

Now I would begin my assessment and cross examination of my and your points

1.)Dependence of persons in technology

Because of their dependence they become sluggard. Example, if a student should do his assignment, before, he would go in libraries and search but now, that technology has raised and computers were introduced, we get it to the computer and with that we get dependent and we go and be lazy. So, it makes the entropy of the universe more destroyed.

2.)Side effects which lead to disastrous end

Yeah…it does side effects and one big example is the side effect done by the computer. Even if it makes simpler work but what does it do, it has radiation that can lead to visual problems. If you had been a non-technology dependent, you can go to the library and it gives you accurate knowledge and it doesn't ruin your vision.

3.)Age bracket goes down
I know that even you, have noticed that life span of a person goes down slowly. Before, peoples live up to 120+ but now the average life span is 74 years old. It is because of the disorders done by technology. Pollution is one of the causes of lowering of life span because as we breathe, polluted air comes in and if we live near a polluted area. Everyday we breathe polluted and that causes the body to malfunction.

4.)Effects of technology to humans (kids --> adults)

This one is similar to no. 1. Technology creates synthetic foods that have synthetic materials that destroy our body. Internet and computers that students needed created some bad websites that destroys their mind. And there are still lots of other bad effect of technology.

5.)Technology causes destruction

It caused Global warming and pollution. Do I need to say more?

You cannot say that it is the fault of the user (humans) because in early discovery of technology they had no idea of what will happen if they continued to study for improving technology. So, it is better to have no technology. Persons before are curious with what they are doing. So, they weren't aware that they were creating Global warming and pollution but nowadays they try to stop it. So, it is the technology's fault all along.

Is there a way to create technology without producing side effects like a doctor giving a prescription without a medicine? How can you run a car? You surely need gasoline. If there will be gasoline, due to carbon monoxide, pollution is produced. There is no way that technology is done without making entropy.

We only knew the problem when technology was already there. We, nowadays, find solutions to solve the problems like global warming etc. We create solar vehicles which don't need gasoline to be run.
Patrick_Henry

Con

Sorry for the flowery words. I wasn't aware that English was not your native language. Sadly, you do better with English than most Americans do.

To clarify 2.) Their demise happened in spite of the influence of technology.

To respond to your points

1.) Lazy students used to not go to the library. Fewer sources were requested for papers. Students using calculators are using them to do math their parents were never taught. Technology makes it possible to do more.

2.) All light is a form of radiation. Working outside in the sun will also harm your vision. Libraries rely on technology too. The modern printing press makes books affordable. The lighting system is usually some kind of modern electrical system.

3.) What are your sources for this magical 120 number? 120 years has never been the typical life span, in spite of what the bible might say.

4.) Not every activity we do as students is going to be education. We've found ways to waste our time for thousands of years. For example, we've known how to produce alcohol for thousands of years. The negative effects of going to a "bad" website are highly over rated.

"Synthetic food" is still food. We eat a lot of processed food that is less healthy, but in most cases our food came from the same farm type establishment as always. We are more unhealthy on account of the great abundance of food available.

5.) Your argument is similar to "Spears should have never been made because spears kill people."

Technology will not be the cause of the downfall of this modern era of humanity. The failure for us to use our technology, or to regulate our own behavior will be.
jemual

Pro

Good day Mr. Patrick and thanks for considering my parameters. I would like to do the rebuttal on this cross-examination part.

1.)Lazy students used to not go to the library. Fewer sources were requested for papers. Students using calculators are using them to do math their parents were never taught. Technology makes it possible to do more.

We can get more from libraries because there are a lot of books in it while if you search in the internet (like google or Encarta), there is no credible source because it is internet while books there are authors. It is better to work than to depend on technology and be lazy. Calculators are one of the reasons why children become lazy, before, people use long multiplication, addition, rooting etc. but now that we have calculators, we become lazy and depend on it. Some math problems aren't solved by calculators (long divisions or polynomial division), so if we are used or dependent to calculators, we get more difficult in learning and answering

2.)All light is a form of radiation. Working outside in the sun will also harm your vision. Libraries rely on technology too. The modern printing press makes books affordable. The lighting system is usually some kind of modern electrical system.

Compare the radiant energy of the two. I refer this one to students/kids, do kids work outside? No. they just play outside, but not so long, but if a child uses a computer, he is focused in radiation which can lead to visual problems. Show me a proof that working outside and using a computer share the same amount of radiation.

3.)What are your sources for this magical 120 number? 120 years has never been the typical life span, in spite of what the bible might say.

Even you yourself can observe this. Have you noticed that a lifespan of a person gets lower and lower since the technology started? Bible says that persons live up to the age of 500+. I meant the present day (1940's) they reach the age of 120+ but as years passed by, it went lower to 74 (2007 estimate)

4.)Not every activity we do as students is going to be education. We've found ways to waste our time for thousands of years. For example, we've known how to produce alcohol for thousands of years. The negative effects of going to a "bad" website are highly over rated.

Alcohol is produced in the present times, how can you make a liquid of different solution that form like a sanitizer? Obviously, thru technology. It is not "over rated" because it is usually the tendency of teens to go thru, they can gather information from their friends or thru curiousity.

"processed food" means that it came from a machinery, so it is technology that brought the synthesized food which are hazardous to our health. A very popular example is softdrinks. Studies show that a glass of it can clean a bath room with its acidity.

And with that I end my speech.
Patrick_Henry

Con

Patrick_Henry forfeited this round.
jemual

Pro

Good day Mr. Patrick, Too bad that you were forfeited but I guess that you're busy. But since you didn't make any feedback, I would proceed to the crystallization/ conclusion.

I still strongly believe that modern technology does more harm than good because:

1.)Modern technology makes a person sluggard

2.)Pollution, Global warming etc. is done by modern technology
3.)Influence has worse effects on children and adults

3.a) radiation from computers and cellphone

3.b) if you text through a cellphone you do not type on the cellphone,
the real word, like if you type on the cellphone

"Where are you? I've been waiting here for so long"

Now that cellphone was introduced, we, do the shortcut when
texting, instead of typing exact words, this is typed

"Wer r u? I've been w8ting hir 4 so long"

And because of this, we get weak in spelling because we are used to use
shortcuts, common in students.

3.c) age meter goes dow

4.) Synthetic foods which harm us are produced through technology

Points that I successfully defended till the end:

1.)Technology adds the entropy and makes students lazy

2.)Pollution etc. are produced

3.)Effects to all people

4.)Effects of technology to the lowered life span

5.)Synthetic foods do harm

Points that I successfully clashed:

2.) They were dependent on technology since the start of everything. Early years, the loss of technology resulted to their demises.

3.) Technology must not be blamed because even if we know the problem it does, we do nothing

4.) We owe it all to technology

You are such a good writer and as you said on your first argument, a historian. I admired you on how you write your arguments. I enjoyed debating with you. Wish that I could debate you in the future.

And with that I end my speech
Patrick_Henry

Con

Modern technology makes a person sluggard
So sluggard that we now have communication at the speed of light, can travel the world in a day, and have created machines that have the manufacture of almost everything faster.

2.) Pollution, Global warming etc. is done by modern technology

Global Warming would also be caused by fires. Pollution and global warming is caused by people. We're at fault. When someone is murdered, we don't punish the murder weapon, we punish the murderer.

3.) Influence has worse effects on children and adults

Most children have exposure to education which they never would have had a chance to receive any kind of education if it weren't for technology. Most of us would be isolated in rural settings working as farmers.

A very limited amount of damage is caused by these devices. People used to die before we ever had technology.

The first written language in Western Civilization was known as Cuneiform. It was incredibly complicated and purposefully designed to be difficult to learn. While there is much to be said for the written language, language will always be fluid. Cuneiform died out because it was burdensome to learn. Cellphone texts often include language which is abbreviated because it is more time consuming to type out proper grammar, also many texts have a character limit.

3.c) age meter goes dow

This is simply not true. The average life expectancy of a person has dramatically increased in the last three hundred years during the development of our modern technology.

If you slaughtered a goat using a sharp rock, and ate all of the goat's fat, it would be just as unhealthy if you ate a fat that was derived from corn oil and then processed into a twinki. Fat is fat, nutrients is nutrients. We become unhealthy because we choose to eat and drink unhealthy things. There are many people who maintain a healthy lifestyle while still eating processed foods.

1.) Technology adds the entropy and makes students lazy

Technology has enabled students to learn beyond conventional means. You get to practice your English via the internet.

Points that I successfully clashed:

Yes, people are at fault. If we are smart enough to recognize we're hurting ourselves while not being wise enough to stop hurting ourselves, I really don't think its ethical to blame technology for this.

No, this was not my statement. Civilizations rose and fell before modern technology came to light. The collapse of a nation can happen without the influence of technology. If civilization, or society, or a nation fails now, it happened because of poor leadership and external pressures, not because of technology.

4.) We owe it all to technology

We even own our debate to technology.

Thanks for the debate, I'm sorry I was not quicker about responding to your arguments. I get very preoccupied with real life.
Posted by mrqwerty 6 years ago
mrqwerty
Interesting ideas. I hope this will be a riveting debate!
Vote Placed by JBlake 5 years ago
JBlake
jemualPatrick_HenryTied
Vote Placed by Patrick_Henry 6 years ago
Patrick_Henry
jemualPatrick_HenryTied
Vote Placed by bigbass3000 6 years ago
bigbass3000
jemualPatrick_HenryTied
Vote Placed by LianFex 6 years ago
LianFex
jemualPatrick_HenryTied
Vote Placed by jemual 6 years ago
jemual
jemualPatrick_HenryTied
Vote Placed by Korezaan 6 years ago
Korezaan
jemualPatrick_HenryTied