the Bible is not the Greatest Book Ever Written

The Bible cannot be the greatest book ever written. The reviews of the book that are positive are usually Christians and there cannot be a greatest book,especially the Bible. I hope to debate anyone willing to debate.

I accept this debate despite the fact I am at a huge disadvantage (as pointed out in the comments).

Firstly to address my opponent's claim that the positive reviews are just Christians. Yes they are Christian reviews of a book that is front and center of their faith. That doesn't change the fact that Christians are people and have the same right to review a book as an agnostic like me, or any person of any creed.

The bible is the greatest book (collection of books bound as one) because;

1) the purpose of a book is to share knowledge and to entertain.

The Bible has done both very well, and for a very long time. Regardless of any person's personal conviction on if the bible is fiction or non fiction, there are many very entertaining stories contained within its pages and there is a realistic glimpse into history that has inspired people for millennia.

This inspiration is arguably responsible for the earliest explorations of our physical world. Many people educated in Christian schools were the brightest minds of their time. Many inventions owed their discovery to these religious scholars. And beyond that many great works of art would have never been funded if not for the church, and the church wouldn't exist if not for the bible.

The printing press was invented specifically to make copying the bible easier.

This book has accomplished far more than telling a story or converting believers, it has comforted people on their death bed and compelled them to tell the truth in a court of law.

This book has served as a safe place to document complex family trees and has even been used as a learning tool by teachers all over the world when books were much less accessible.

It has simultaneously connected us to the past whilst guiding us in the future.

Even if it is a complete fiction, it has taught us the value of feeding the poor, healing the sick and loving our enemies. It has urged us not to ignore the stranded traveller. It has given us the bravery to question authority.

If books were living organisms who must reproduce or go extinct, the bible would be the most successful organism of all.

You make a good point that this book is known worldwide but so is Mein Kampf. You're greatest point however is its morals. While it has great morals,there are disgusting things within. "This is what the Lord Almighty says... "Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."" (1 Samuel 15:3) "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel." (1 Peter 2:18). These verses are one of other disturbing and immoral verses. The printing press is a good argument undeniably. The book is one of MANY guiding books such as the Quran and the Talmud. These books have the same values as well.

The Mein Kampf has sold the 2nd highest number of copies with the Bible selling the all time highest number of copies so there is no doubt that these two works are similar based upon the number of copies that they have sold. However I think that the Mein Kampf sells many of its copies because of the huge scar that Adolf Hitler left on our history and people's desire to "try and understand the mad man". I know that there are Nazi sympathizers who read Mein Kampf as their Nazi Bible but most people who I have personally encountered who have read that book, have read it because of scholastic requirements or morbid curiosity. I don't think these two books are equal in content, but that is admittedly my personal opinion.

Your point about the disgusting side of the Bible is very true. However you can not judge a book written thousands of years ago by modern values. The world that existed while the many books of the Bible were written was a very different world than we live in today. Slavery was common place and was not ethnocentric like the slavery of the 1800s in America.

Warfare like that urged upon the Amalekites was common place in those times. people were very tribal and lived in small war like communities. The Amalekites followed the Hebrews through the desert during their journey to the promised land and constantly were raiding them for supplies, this caused much death and suffering for the Hebrews. Everything in history must be considered within the context of events leading up to that history.

The other spiritual books you've mentioned are very related to the Bible, for example the Talmud contains the exact same stories about Amalek. The Koran was based upon the religious books of the Bible and even recognizes Jesus as a prophet.

There is no doubt that Muhammad (PBUH) was well aware of Jesus, the Bible and influenced by those works just like the billions of other people who have been inspired by the Bible over the last 2 millennia.

It is a good point that Mein Kampf is bought a lot because of its controversy. But there is no possible best book because it is subject to opinion and the book has very inspirational stories and very predictable stories. The story of David is an amazing story but the story of Christ is very unoriginal as Horus predates Jesus. The book is amazing but not near the best. The main criticism I have of it is the borrowing of other stories. This is an issue with many other religious documents such as my own religion's Torah,Tanach,and Talmud.

I agree with you that borrowing from other stories is... a bit annoying. But once again if you consider the time period the book is from, most people couldn't read and most stories were passed down by word of mouth. it actually makes sense that we see a lot of borrowed material in those time periods.

There are definitely different ways to assign "The greatest book" title. Most of those assignments are based on opinion, and opinion is obviously subjective.

But if we look at the objective facts that we know about all the books in the world. The Bible clearly wins in a number of categories.

It has been translated into the most languages

It has been reprinted the most times.

it has the largest number of followers (as the religion it represents)

and last but not least it has inspired the writing of the most secondary literature which exist specifically to discuss "The Bible" in its many forms.

It has been a huge pleasure to debate you about this subject. I wasn't aware that you were Jewish, knowing that I would love to talk to you about Josephus and the world that existed around 70AD.
Posted by Haxis288 2 years ago
It's a crappy book indeed but it's metaphoric being known as the "Greatest story ever told" And there are plenty of other books that are known across the world both religious and non-religious the Qu'uran is known by all.
Posted by Gs325jcbd 2 years ago
most known book in the WORLD. Please name me another book that every one knows about?
I have 100% certainty you cant.
Posted by PThrowdown 2 years ago
The Bible is a handheld library of 66 books like Otakujordan said, not a book.

Also, not really a debate.
Posted by TheHappyMAn 2 years ago
What kind of debate is this? Your giving the con complete disadvantage!
Posted by OtakuJordan 2 years ago
Sixty-six, to be precise.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
You do realize it's 50something different books right?
Vote Placed by Silentsvc 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides were well thought out I would argue this to be an excellent discussion of the bible by two non-Christians