griffinisright
govchapman

the Liberal Media

griffinisright

Pro

I want to make sure I clarify what exactly I mean when I say that I am pro "the Liberal media" I am not taking the stance that I support the liberal media. All I am trying to say is that I believe the media has a very liberal bias. I believe most of the media with the rare exception of say, "Fox News" is very left leaning. In result the media mainly reports the bad news about the war and and they portray Conservatism as being some sort of bad thing and Liberalism as the answer to all of your problems.

I believe the 08 election is a prime example. If you look at all of the news reports about the Republican candidates the only one the media seems to favor at all is John McCain. Why? Well I am glad you asked. The answer is because McCain is the least Conservative of them all. McCain is the most Liberal of all the Candidates on the Republican ticket. And in the eyes of the Liberal media if they have to have a Republican president they want him to be as close to them as possible. I know there are some people out there saying well Ron Paul is more Liberal than McCain why don't they endorse him. I think they do not expect him to have a chance at the Whit house. They expect him to flop out in the primaries. The media would have never supported Fred Thompson or Mit Romney and if Ronald Reagan was alive today and campaigning for the White House the media definitely would not have supported him. Because to the Liberal Media true Conservatism is the enemy because it is the only sure thing that can beat them and the only thing that can stop them from getting what they want, which is a far left leaning Democrat in the White House.

In this debate I wish to go head to head with anyone who believes the media has no bias. Or someone who believes that the media is more Conservative or right leaning than left. This way I can prove to my opponent and readers that the media is very, very Liberal. And that I Griffin Voorhees am right again.

NOTE: I am not saying anything bad about McCain or Ron Paul. This is not a debate of who is the best Republican candidates. It is a debate of weather or not the media has a Liberal or Democratic bias. So please keep this in mind when voting. And I want my opponent to realise this too that way this debate doesn't get far off topic.
govchapman

Con

I would like to start the debate by saying that the assumption that the media is liberal, is completely inaccurate. A vast majority of the major news stations in the U.S. today are in fact owned by large parent corporations. That plays right into the hands of conservatives that support big business. There is also the fact that they have to be sponsored by more big corporations. The thought that the media may be liberal goes back to the 1980's when a study showed that the journalists were slightly more liberal than conservative. This has changed over time and now in fact the journalists are economically conservative, giving them a slight libertarian leaning. This however does not translate into the media much at all. Except for extreme forms of media such as fox, broadcasting stations usually play the role of referee when it comes to politically related items. They always have analysts from both parties that had worked for previous campaigns as advisors. The idea that the media is liberal, is just played out by right wingers who want people to distrust the majority of the media and to trust fox. This is just when we are talking about the television. Most people don't even realise the conservative stranglehold on talk radio shows, liberals are almost non-existent in that area of the media.

The only example that you give of the media being "liberal" is the '08 election. The only reason the media slightly favor John McCain (who is conservative) is because of his straight talk express. That thing has been going on for years, he always brings the media along with him and answers all of their questions without avoidance. That being said, John McCain might be a little more moderate than Romney, but not much. Even if he was the media is doing the republicans a huge favor by highlighting him. The head to head polls show that McCain clearly has a much better of beating the democrats than Romney does.

I think a lot of people just believe what they keep hearing over and over. If there was ever a liberal bias in the media, it is gone now. I think that some people just have a personal bias and find to much easier to blame the media, than to simply accept the truth.

-Thank you
griffinisright

Pro

You claim that because conservatives support big businesses then there for they own the majority of the major news stations. This statement can't be based off any facts what so ever. If you are right and it is conservatives who own the media, we would have a hard right leaning media. After all wouldn't it only make sense if you owned a company who has influence on the general public that you would try to sway the people to believe what you believe? That way they would vote the way you vote and then you would get what it is you want out of elections. Makes sense to me. Now you also said the conservatives own talk radio. This is true conservatives own the MOST of talk radio. We have Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck and Savage. The only liberal in talk radio that stands out to me is Colmes. That is because most people who listed to talk radio do so as an alternative to the liberal media. They are sick of hearing all of the bad stuff about our president and the war on terror. Most people listen to talk radio so they don't have to hear all of the liberal propaganda. That is why liberal talk radio has always been and will continue to be a flop.

If your suggestion was correct that conservatives own the big news company, then why would the conservative talk show hosts bash the media as much as they do? Shouldn't they be looking out for their own kind? Logically the answer would be yes. The conservatives should be looking out for fellow conservatives, problem is most of the people in the media are liberal! So why would a conservative talk show host stand up for them? It only makes sense that people like Rush would expose these people for who they truly are.

"The thought that the media may be liberal goes back to the 1980's when a study showed that the journalists were slightly more liberal than conservative. This has changed..."

It is true that studies have shown the media had a liberal agenda in the 1980's but things have not changed that much if at all. In the 1980's when surveyed 23% of the public said they were liberal but 55% of journalists said they were liberal. In the 1990's, 50% of journalists said they were Democrats. And only 4% of journalists said they were Republicans. here is a link to a blog with the rest of the data gathered in these polls. http://griffinisright.townhall.com...

In a survey conducted in 07 the vast majority of the 1,757 American voters believed the majority of the media has a liberal bias. 83% of the likely voter's surveyed said the media is biased in one way or another, when only 11% believe the media doesn't take political sides. Nearly two-thirds of the people surveyed who detected bias in the media 64% to be exact said the media leans left, while only 28% said they see a conservative bias in the news. Out of the Republicans surveyed 97% said the media is very liberal, two-thirds of Independents said the same thing, Many people would stop there and not give all of the facts. However I am not like most people, I am not a liberal. Out of the Democrats surveyed just two-thirds were certain the media skewed right and 17% of the Dem's said the bias favored the left. Source: http://www.zogby.com...

If the truth were known, many liberals are in denial to the notion that the media has a bias. Why? Because they do not want people to think that they have an unfair advantage. Seems everyone turns to PMSNBC, ABC, CBS and all of the other alphabet channels for their news updates about everything in their day to day lives ranging from the war on terror to the weather and the election. They gut the news with a Liberal twist. In this country there used to be a day when people could trust their news broadcasters like, Walter Cronkite, "the voice of America". Unlike the idiots we have today such as Dan Rather and Peter Jennings. Unfortunately some people feel as though they can still trust the media to give you the whole story without a bias one way or another. But sadly the days of trust in the media are over, according to an 03 Gallup poll 46% of Americans are loosing trust in the media.

But how do I know? How can I be so certain as to make such a claim or accusation like, "the Media has a Liberal agenda"? How can I say such a thing with out having any facts? The answer is I can't state my argument merely on opinions so here are the black and white facts:
"Journalists in the mainstream media are prominently liberal." That's what the 1996 Freedom Forum, an independent foundation which studies issues relating to the media and the Roper Center, an opinion research firm. Prominent liberal journalist Evan Thomas of News Week acknowledges the bias in the media. Thomas made an appearance on the syndicated round table, "Inside Washington" and said, "There is a liberal bias. It's demonstrable. You look at some statistics. About 85% of the reporters who cover the White House vote Democratic, they have for a long time. There is a particularly at the networks, at the lower levels, among the educators and the so-called infrastructure, there is a liberal bias. There is a bias at News Week the magazine I work for. Most of the people who work at News Week live on the upper West Side in New York and they have a liberal bias."

Not to mention late ABC anchor Peter Jennings admitted a liberal bias, "Historically in the media, it has been more of a liberal persuasion for many years. It has taken us a long time, too long in my view, to have vigorous conservative voices heard as widely in the media as they now are."

In his book "weapons of mass destruction" Brent Bozell, founder of the Media Research Center, chronicles media bias with regard to taxation, environmental issues, gun control, religion and abortion.

Bozell references the three main broadcast networks' coverage of the Bush tax cuts proposal of January 2003. Between Jan. 2nd and Jan. 15th of that year, he had his colleagues found 28 stories about the proposal aired on ABC, CBS and NBC. In these he says, "the liberal media was repeated over and over. Bush's tax cuts comforts only the rich." They cant help but try to put a spin on something good our president does because he is a Republican. And to the liberal media President Bush is the enemy!

Americans trust of the media continues to decline. A July 2003, Pew Center report showed 53% of Americans "believe that news organizations are politically biased." And "twice as many say news organizations are liberal."

Now you can argue that most of these polls and serves were taken a few years ago and that the information is out dated. But I have some more recent evidence of the main stream liberal media for you. Take Matt Lauer for instinct I believe he is one of the biggest liberal idiots of them all. Check out this video of idiot Lauer trying to make the President look like the idiot. He keeps asking his the same dumb question even though Bush repeatedly tells him that the information is classified and he is not at liberty to say. Here is a video talking about how CNN bashes Bill O'Reilly who obviously leans more right than left. Here is a video of Keith Olbermann attacking Bush here is one more for you and again attacking Mit Romney again proving that the Media does not approve of the true conservatives. You said McCain is a conservative, I disagree he is a moderate republican at best and that is why the main stream media approves of him.

I rest my case on these statistics and videos these are just a few, they hardley scratch the serface of all the compelling information that points to a liberal bias or aganda in the media. I wish I had room to fit just a few more but sadly I do not. It was good debating you, govchapman. Good luck in your future debates.

-The truth is marching on!
govchapman

Con

The only evidence you seem to be giving is the polls that say people (especially conservatives) think the media is liberal. Of course they do, it has been beaten into their heads by conservatives for years. People like your boy Rush like to bash the TV media for being liberal so that people distrust it. You still have yet to give a decent example of just how the media is liberal. That doesn't surprise me however because you obviously don't watch it much considering that you said this; "Unlike the idiots we have today such as Dan Rather and Peter Jennings." Now if you watched the media on a regular basis you would have known that Peter Jennings is DEAD!
Posted by Vikuta 9 years ago
Vikuta
The media limits the range of discussion to just a bit left of the far right. The media favors the left of this small range of opinions simply because it makes it look like its elite owners are accountable to someone.
Posted by Vikuta 9 years ago
Vikuta
The media isn't liberal. I'd prefer a real liberal media to the conservative, agenda-setting corporate media that exists.
Posted by Defenestrator 9 years ago
Defenestrator
I think Con argues better and points out the hearsay bias that is in Pro's argument.
Posted by Astaroth 9 years ago
Astaroth
Just listening to the news one can uncover its liberal bias.
Posted by DucoNihilum 9 years ago
DucoNihilum
Ron Paul is the most conservative candidate up for president, who the hell would call him 'liberal'?
Posted by Rousseau 9 years ago
Rousseau
Well, just like to put in my two cents: In arecent study, I'll give a link if you don't believe me, out of I believe 21 news outlets, only 2 were conservative: Fox, and The Washington Post. All others were liberal. So, I think there is definite bias OVERALL in the media, but the resolution left it open for Con to argue different things.

Tha said, I will probably vote Pro, as his rebuttal covered everything. Con dropped most stuff in his last round.
Posted by Rousseau 9 years ago
Rousseau
There may be a liberal bias, but It's not a very defined one.
Posted by silentwitness 9 years ago
silentwitness
Griffin's got this in the bag.
Posted by disputation 9 years ago
disputation
Sorry, I wouldn't have know that. I'm too young.
Posted by C4747500 9 years ago
C4747500
disputation, the media has had a liberal slant for much longer than the current presidency.
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
griffinisrightgovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by RoyTempleton 9 years ago
RoyTempleton
griffinisrightgovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by jlholtzapple 9 years ago
jlholtzapple
griffinisrightgovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by CP 9 years ago
CP
griffinisrightgovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by benames75 9 years ago
benames75
griffinisrightgovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by jessica.spangler 9 years ago
jessica.spangler
griffinisrightgovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by brandonallison48 9 years ago
brandonallison48
griffinisrightgovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by SCOTTMILLER66 9 years ago
SCOTTMILLER66
griffinisrightgovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by JOE76SMITH 9 years ago
JOE76SMITH
griffinisrightgovchapmanTied
Vote Placed by nsvohes 9 years ago
nsvohes
griffinisrightgovchapmanTied