hannahng
AdeelQayum

the U.S government should substantially increase its non military exploration of Earth's oceans.

hannahng

Pro

The United States is in a vulnerable situation right now. The problem? Rare Earth Elements. Rare Earth Metals are used in electronics we use everyday such as CAT scans, MRIs, cellphones, etc. China has a monopoly of them and the US efforts to mine for them on land has been futile. Our plan is to create an AOMC Artic offshore mining committee. This company will subsidize a company called Freedom Minerals that will specialize in underwater excavation of REES. We will use a biodegradable diluter underwater and the metals will be extracted using a seafloor mining tool. Think of it as a high powered vaccum cleaner that ONLY sucks up rare earth metals. We will fund this plan by drawing money from the ocean exploration 2014 funding opportunity. This grant is renewable every year and is the total fund is 3 billion. This whole plan will only cost around 2 billion dollars. We will sell these REES and earn approximately 1 billion 1 hundred and 6 million dollars.
AdeelQayum

Con

I acknowledge your part about how this program would be a good source of funding and how we would pull current funds from an existing program. However, I am always an advocate for the United States to use funding to solve problems and disconnects within the country itself. As recently as 2013, the 45.3 million people are living in poverty in the United States. That is nearly 14%. And recent events have provoked outcry from the public for government reform of its government enforcements, such as the police departments. And there is always room to allow allies to explore themselves as well. In addition, how are we certain that we are going to be able to find anything? Right now, the problems inside the United States are real and visible, and this plan, in my opinion, is not 100% plausible or realistic. Thanks!
hannahng

Pro

I'm sorry to inform you but what does poverty have to do with anything with the resolve? The resolve is to substantially increase its non military exploration of Earth's oceans NOT to fix poverty. Therefore, your statements are invalid and you are way off topic.
AdeelQayum

Con

I guess since you think that I am way off topic and this has nothing to do with it, which in my opinion it still does. Then this debate is not suited for my thoughts.
hannahng

Pro

I guess not because what you are basically stating is that United States have a bigger issue rather than focusing on the ocean which clearly I said was about the oceans. NOT poverty or allies. I made a plan to fit for how we should "explore" the ocean just like what the resolve says and how we should be focusing on China's reluctance on the monopoly of Rare Earth Elements. Opinions do not matter on debate. It's whether the plan will work or not. 5 pillars of debate - 1.necessity- we will excavate underwater for the rare earth elements 2. its topical because we will be at least extracting 80% of rare earth elements which substantially means at least 50% 3. feasible- this plan will work because of the requirements it meets 4.Solvency- It solves the issue to BREAK the monopoly with China and to bring rare earth elements to United States' needs and 5.Fund ability- we will be getting grants. Therefore the 5 pillars of debate is concluded.
AdeelQayum

Con

AdeelQayum forfeited this round.