FeatherintheWind
DrumBum1234

The Best Band Ever:Pink Floyd?

FeatherintheWind
Started: 11/19/2008 Category: Arts

FeatherintheWind

Con

Pink Floyd, in my opinion, was not only the most underrated band full of the most underrated musicians, but it was also the most talented and most creative bands of all time, paving the road for all progressive rock bands that followed them. I would like someone to challenge my opinions with whomever they think is the best band, or why Pink Floyd wasnt as great as I say they are.
I suppose I will give my introduction to my opinion of Pink Floyd. I have been reading another debate about the best band ever, and I disagree with the format they have set up. I think the best band should have great members, great ideas, an ability to express their ideas, a combination of great words with great music, and when it all comes out on an album, it needs to be something you dont skip or only listen to half of it. In my opinion, Pink Floyd had four outstanding members, two of which are the best musicans of all time. I will start with Roger Waters(focusing on his role as frontman and lyricist, not bassist;although he did write excellent bass lines such as money). Roger Waters, if not the best musician, was the most creative and idealistic frontman. He concieved ways to make the music flow together with a common theme, something most bands didnt bother with. He(most notably) concieved the ideas for Dark Side Of the Moon and The Wall.
David Gilmour is in my opinion, the best guitarist there ever was, not because of his great technique, but the way he portrays his musical ability with his guitar. He was the yin to waters Yang, if not the greatest wordsmith, he knew his melodies, and he actually thought out and wrote his guitar solos, he didnt just play scales at a fast tempo. Richard Wright also knew his melodies, and his lyrics were not bad either. He helped tie it all together with his distinctive yet tranquil sound that Pink Floyd was notorious for. And Nick Mason, always knew the right beat of the song, and unlike many drummers, did not corrupt the song with evasive drum rolls that taint the sound.
Pink Floyd had the greatest ideas in rock and roll, with their concept albums connected with themes of insanity and death, just to name a few. They could also definitely express their ideas successfully, writing the most off-beat record of all, and still getting it in the top three selling albums of all time(Dark Side of the Moon).
So overall, Pink Floyd was one of the most successful rock bands, but what makes them special is they did not achieve success by conforming and writing whatever they knew the public wanted to hear, which is a major milestone for rock, that allowed bands to express themselves, without worrying about the public.
Good luck to anyone who thinks they can beat me, but I probably convinced half of you right there, and the other half will be too scared after that monstrousity of an intro I wrote.
DrumBum1234

Pro

I would just like to say that Pink Floyd is a very good band and they have had much success in their career.
But I would just like to say that The Who is no doubt the better band in this position. The Who is full of style, creativity, and energy. And they have very much success in their career.
First I would just like to thank my opponent for this great debate topic and may the best man win.
The Who is probably one of the greatest bands of all time. The Who is made up of Pete Townsend, Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle, and, the greatest, Keith Moon.
Pete Townsend was most likely the greatest guitarist ever. He can just sit down and in a couple hours get up with one of the greatest songs every. Also Pete Townsend has the energy of the energizing bunny. I have never seen anyone like him. He can just get in front of any crowd and wow them in a matter of minutes.
Roger Daltrey is an amazing singer with a vocal range you could not believe. He could take anything that is put down in front of him and be able to make it his and sing it anyway he wanted to. He also was very energetic and wild up on stage.
John Entwistle, a.k.a. "The Ox", the bassist was the greates. With smooth simple bass grooves. And making blurs of his finger across the fret board John is easily one of the greatest bassist ever. He brought into perspective the style of lead bass. With a prominent bass solo in "My Generation" it was the first of its kind int he rock world. Unlike his other band members John was motionless on stage. he just sat back and watch Pete, Roger, and Keith tear up the stage.
Keith Moon. Oh Keith Moon, without a doubt the best drummer ever. He had the biggest heart, he loved music, and he had the energy of a little kid eating sugar. He could play anything in the worl and make it better.
Witht these four partnered up this is easily one of the greatest bands of all time. With the vocals of Roger and the Power chords bye Pete with thundering drums in the background by Keith and the bass solos by John. This band is unstoppable.
Once again I would like to thank my opponent for the Challenge and good luck.
By the way. I'm never scared of anyone.
FeatherintheWind

Con

I would like to start off by saying thank you to drumbum123, for accepting this debate, and especially for bringing another good band into the argument. The Who was very infleuntial, and they had a successful career as well. The Pro(in this debate, who was pro and who was con was accidentally switched) did state some good points as to why The Who were a good band.
But to be deemed the best at anything, you need to have something that ultimately seperates you from your competition. The fact of the matter is, since music is a form of art; to credibly call a band the best in a matter that is not entirely biased or opinionated, you need solid facts that will seperate the band to a point where they are above everyone else. The Who did have great members, and great ideas, but in an attempt to win my argument, I'm going to give some solid facts.
When it comes to creativity, that is a complete matter of opinion. Whos to say wether Tommy or The Wall is more creative, or Quadrophenia is more creative than Dark Side of the Moon. Well, you could look at the sales, and the facts are that Dark Side of the Moon sold 40 million records, and has the world record for staying on the list for 741 consecutive weeks, and that quadrophenia only hit the number two spot in the U.S. and worldwide( I would like to note that sales should not usually be an issue when it comes to whose better, but it was a major milestone for a progressive rock album to even get on the charts, let alone achieve what Dark Side did.)
When it comes to band members, The Who could almost be deemed a Pete Townshend solo project(how many Who songs were not completely written by Townshed alone?) Pink Floyd had three great members contributing to their sound at all times, and two of them can be argued as the best man for his instrument or role. David Gilmour was arguably the best guitarist, writing songs such as "Comfortably Numb"(almost always voted in the top 5 of best guitar solos, and quite commonly referred to as the best guitar solo of all time) "Time" (listen to the solo, no one will argue that is goes above and beyond the normal solo strucure of fast technique and lacking melody) and "Wish You Were Here". Roger Waters is without a doubt one of the best lyricists and most innovative frontmen (look at Pink Floyds four main albums sales, which he conceived all the ideas for).
So overall, Pink Floyd went above and beyond what any band have has ever done, and although The Who was very good, they didnt have a disctinctive sound or career that was enough to set them apart as much different than other hard rock band. People will argue, saying The Who was very influential and took part in defining a genre, but that can be said about many other hard rock bands of that time. Pink Floyd was known as the premiere space rock band, were the most influential progressive rock band, and helped create many genres, including progressive rock, space rock, phsycadelic rock, and experimental rock. And although they usually stuck with those main genres, they still managed to outsell hard rock bands, a much more popular genre, and that seperates Pink Floyd from other popular bands and it gives them a love-or-hate quality, which makes them anything but average (and based on the sales, Im gonna guess most people loved them, and very few hated them), which is what being the best is about.
DrumBum1234

Pro

I would like to start of by giving a nice your welcome to FeatheintheWind for thanking me. And by the way My name is DrumBum1234 not drumbum 123.
I agree that Pink Floyd had its own unique style and the were very different from many bands but i don't think you giving The Who very much credit. The Who had their own unique sound and the took music to a whole new level. John Entwistle was the first bassist to ever have a solo. He brought that into the rock world. Also how many bands do you know that have ever used a mouth harp or played intriguing harmonica melodies back then. One of my favorite songs "Join Together" is a very good example of that. which has both a mouth harp and a harmonica in it. Also The Who has its Very distinctive style in many songs by slowing them down with cool, smooth melodies and the building it back up and rock out the place. Also yes Pete Townsend may have written a good majority of the songs, but that doesnt mean that the who was a solo project. Pete Townsend most likely threw out the ideas and each member built from the idea and made their own parts for themselves. You could say that Roger might have not done very much but saying it was a solo project is bit too far. I really doubt Pete wrote the bass grooves and drums to every song too. So you could say three members contributed to the music of the band.
Also I don't think that album sales are a very big part of the talent of the band. You can't determine who is better by their sales of albums. you can only determine who is liked better. Pink Floyd may have sold more albums than The Who but you can't infer that there better than The Who by that observation.
All in all, The Who is the best band ever because of the uniqueness and the talent and quality of each band member. They had they crazy guitar riffs and melodies, the amazing bass grooves and solos, the incredible singing, the fantastic style of the drummer who is with out a doubt the best that ever lived.
So good luck to you Feather boy and may the best man win.
FeatherintheWind

Con

I think it is fair to say that we have covered enough material, and made many valid arguments, I have a few things left to say
1 A solo project is defined as " an effort from a single person contributing all(or nearly all) of the work". If you look at the discography, pete townshend wrote about 95% of all the songs, and that is very close to all. So it was out of line to say it is a solo project, not out of line to say it is very similar to a solo project.
2 The Who had a distinctive sound, but not comparable to Pink Floyds, ive already made that argument
3 I already explained why I mentioned the sales, if it were any other situation, I wouldn't have.
4 Im not seeing you offer any valid, concrete points.
5 Rott in eternal hellfire
DrumBum1234

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for his last rebuttal and may the best man win.
First off i just want to say that both John Entwistle and Keith Moon contibuted just as much as Pete. Pete just came up with the main music and John and Keith added their own parts into it.
Second i dont see how music sales could possibly be any part of the bands talent. I just think that that is just the number of fans the band has.
Third of all, I think I have offered good valid, concrete points. I think you just being a pretentious twat.
Finally, you Rot in Internal Hellfire Beotch!
Thank you and Good luck.
Posted by Jonjua 3 years ago
Jonjua
wow i loved this debate, mainly the calm formal niceties and then a good "rot in hell at the end" definitley though pink floyd the greatest but also the who very great
Posted by feverish 5 years ago
feverish
What about Syd Barrett?
Posted by DrumBum1234 5 years ago
DrumBum1234
Good job to you too bro.
Posted by FeatherintheWind 5 years ago
FeatherintheWind
well, a nice ending for a nice debate. congrats drumbum1234, I guess Pink Floyd and The
Who are both equally good, and we debated equal as well. Goodbye.
Posted by patsox834 5 years ago
patsox834
<"so no matter what i would have said ( i think i said about all i could) you would probably have still agreed that the who is better, since you thought they were better in the first place. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions">

This isn't so. If you had put forth an argument I considered to be superior, I would have been impressed enough to give you my vote. Not all people are incapable of objectivity.
Posted by FeatherintheWind 5 years ago
FeatherintheWind
remember who your actually voting for, and also please dont just vote based on which band you like better, actually read the arguments
Posted by VoodooChild 5 years ago
VoodooChild
It says i have to confirm my identity but i dont have a phone
Posted by Metz 5 years ago
Metz
Why wont it let yo vote?
Posted by FeatherintheWind 5 years ago
FeatherintheWind
yeah patsox834, i've come to learn that in debates, people are always biased, and it takes a lot to change their mind, so no matter what i would have said ( i think i said about all i could) you would probably have still agreed that the who is better, since you thought they were better in the first place. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions
Posted by VoodooChild 5 years ago
VoodooChild
Man I love The Who. i would definately vote but it doesnt let me do it.
Vote Placed by VoodooChild 5 years ago
VoodooChild
FeatherintheWindDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by FeatherintheWind 5 years ago
FeatherintheWind
FeatherintheWindDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by DrumBum1234 5 years ago
DrumBum1234
FeatherintheWindDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by Glitchy 5 years ago
Glitchy
FeatherintheWindDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by theitalianstallion 5 years ago
theitalianstallion
FeatherintheWindDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by JBlake 5 years ago
JBlake
FeatherintheWindDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by Metz 5 years ago
Metz
FeatherintheWindDrumBum1234Tied