leonitus2464
knock_down_argument

the bible is an evil book

leonitus2464

leonitus2464

Pro

the bible without a doubt is one of the most evil books ever written by men. the bible contains many passages that condone rape, child abuse, murder, slavery, human/animal sacrifice, and even genocide.

round 1:acceptance
round 2/3:debate
knock_down_argument

Con

I accept this debate, I will be defending the position that the bible is not an evil book. I will also be defending the proposition that the passages my opponent may find morally repugnent, when placed in the proper context, do not codone the evil things my opponent says they do.
leonitus2464

Pro

first off genocide and murder there are passages in the bible that condone these acts these are just a few of them.
first genocide.

"And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain". Deuteronomy 2:34
"Thus saith the LORD of hosts ... go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and donkey". 1 Samuel 15:2-3
"But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth". Deuteronomy 20:16-17
second murder
"Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel". Deuteronomy 17:12
"You should not let a sorceress live". Exodus 22:17
"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives". Leviticus 20:13
"Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death". Exodus 21:15
" Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed ". Exodus 22:19
these are only a few out of many passages like it but thats not all here is gods stance on rape
.
"They attacked Midian just as the LORD had commanded Moses, and they killed all the men. All five of the Midianite kings " Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba " died in the battle. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. Then the Israelite army captured the Midianite women and children and seized their cattle and flocks and all their wealth as plunder. They burned all the towns and villages where the Midianites had lived. After they had gathered the plunder and captives, both people and animals, they brought them all to Moses and Eleazar the priest, and to the whole community of Israel, which was camped on the plains of Moab beside the Jordan River, across from Jericho.

Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the people went to meet them outside the camp. But Moses was furious with all the military commanders who had returned from the battle. "Why have you let all the women live?" he demanded. "These are the very ones who followed Balaam's advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD's people. Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves". Judges 21:10-24

"As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you". Deuteronomy 20:10-14

"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her". Deuteronomy 22:28-29

don't disregard the old testament either

"For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:18-19

Jesus said this.
knock_down_argument

Con

knock_down_argument forfeited this round.
leonitus2464

Pro

there are also many passages that condone human sacrifice. here are a few examples of human sacrifice in the bible.

"At that time the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he went throughout the land of Gilead and Manasseh, including Mizpah in Gilead, and led an army against the Ammonites. And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. He said, "If you give me victory over the Ammonites, I will give to the LORD the first thing coming out of my house to greet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

"So Jephthah led his army against the Ammonites, and the LORD gave him victory. He thoroughly defeated the Ammonites from Aroer to an area near Minnith " twenty towns " and as far away as Abel-keramim. Thus Israel subdued the Ammonites. When Jephthah returned home to Mizpah, his daughter " his only child " ran out to meet him, playing on a tambourine and dancing for joy. When he saw her, he tore his clothes in anguish. "My daughter!" he cried out. "My heart is breaking! What a tragedy that you came out to greet me. For I have made a vow to the LORD and cannot take it back." And she said, "Father, you have made a promise to the LORD. You must do to me what you have promised, for the LORD has given you a great victory over your enemies, the Ammonites. But first let me go up and roam in the hills and weep with my friends for two months, because I will die a virgin." "You may go," Jephthah said. And he let her go away for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never have children. When she returned home, her father kept his vow, and she died a virgin. So it has become a custom in Israel for young Israelite women to go away for four days each year to lament the fate of Jephthah's daughter."Judges 11:29-40

[The Lord speaking] "The one who has stolen what was set apart for destruction will himself be burned with fire, along with everything he has, for he has broken the covenant of the LORD and has done a horrible thing in Israel."Joshua 7:15

"As for you, son of man, prophesy: Thus says the Lord GOD against the Ammonites and their insults: A sword, a sword is drawn for slaughter, burnished to consume and to flash lightning, because you planned with false visions and lying divinations to lay it on the necks of depraved and wicked men whose day has come when their crimes are at an end. Return it to its sheath! In the place where you were created, in the land of your origin, I will judge you. I will pour out my indignation upon you, breathing my fiery wrath upon you, I will hand you over to ravaging men, artisans of destruction. You shall be fuel for the fire, your blood shall flow throughout the land. You shall not be remembered, for I, the LORD, have spoken." Ezekiel 21:33-37

let us also take a look at women's rights in the bible.

"Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."Genesis 3:16

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."1 Corinthians 14:34-36

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord."Colossians 3:18

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing."1 Timothy 2:11-15

passages such as these cannot be ignored if you have a refutation please post it.
knock_down_argument

Con

leonitus2464

Pro

it has become oblivious that my opponent will not make a counter argument so this debate can be considered a victory but first heres the bible on slavery.

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way." Leviticus 25:44-46

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment." Exodus 21:7-11

"If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever." Exodus 21:2-6

this debate was a disappointment because there were no rebuttals from my opponent and he failed to have an intelligent debate.

vote pro
knock_down_argument

Con

Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
Anthropology has discovered that Monotheism stems from war like semi-nomadic, fringe dweller cultures and where Polytheism originated from hunter-gatherer and forest dwelling cultures, which are more peaceful.

So Monotheism evolved from Warrior Cultures that fight over territories and fend off poachers, thus it is a religion based on Hatred for outsiders, thus the genocide and violence, bloodshed in their scriptures.
Judaism, Islam and Christianity.

Polytheism stems from peaceful hunter gatherers who had learned to share and have less conflicts with neighboring tribes as food is more plentiful, so they had no reason to guard their food from neighboring tribes. Thus, Buddhism, Hinduism and Jainism are far peaceful religions.

The history of Christianity (Judaism) is full of senseless bloodshed.
Because it originated from war mongering cultures of hatred.
They took over and dominated the other more peaceful, polytheistic cultures through their war like nature through the use of FEAR.
Threatening and torturing the peaceful cultures into submission.
Such is the History of all Judaic cultures, Islam and Christianity.
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
The Bible proves it's God as being a Maladjusted, Omni-Malevolent, Narcissistic, Megalomaniac.
And that is being Kind to it.

If the Bible God is Omnipotent and Omniscient, there is no excuse for the Global Flood.
Nor the Plagues, Sodom and Gomorrah, nor the turning Lot's wife into Salt.
Also the destruction of Jericho by Joshua.

There is no excuse for any such Malevolence by God if God was truly Omniscient and Omnipotent.
Those acts prove beyond doubt that God is not even slightly Benevolent.

Instead, it is Omni-Malevolent.
Posted by leonitus2464 2 years ago
leonitus2464
I did read it with an open mind I didn't have my bible goggles on while reading it but first off the west didn't become great and powerful because of the bible the wast became great through technological superiority and innovation. actually it was Christianity and the teaching in the bible that played a part in the fall of Rome which hindered technological advancement( to be fair Rome fell for many other reasons not just Christianity but it played a huge part) and you know who had to fill the void left by Rome Arabia and you know who ran Arabia Muslims whos holy book is the quran I might add. your not disproving any points I made in my debate.
Posted by soumya_a_thomas 2 years ago
soumya_a_thomas
The Bible has liberated many from oppression by its clear teachings. It raises the dignity and rights of every human being ever born. It is truly an amazing and remarkable piece of writing. It contains clear teaching on the value and worth of every individual. It will astonish and surprise you and likely move you to tears.
We believe JESUS CHRIST IS OUR SAVIOUR who gave his life for our sins....

Keep turning the pages of this remarkable book. Read it with an open mind and open heart. It contains pure truth about God, about life, the nature of mankind and our own hearts as human beings. The Gospel of John is a wonderful place to start, but read the whole thing " Old and New Testaments. You'll be amazed what you discover about God, and about yourself.

If this God is indeed your judge, before whom you will someday give an account of your life, it truly behooves you to be aware of who he is and the simple thing he asks of us before that solemn time comes. In essence, this book will help you to deal with that very event for which we are all destined.
Posted by soumya_a_thomas 2 years ago
soumya_a_thomas
You might have felt that it is an evil book before your perspective was not good.
The Bible is the single most important book ever written. It is an eyewitness account of historical events of such magnitude that they have literally shaped the world in which we live. Without this book the Western world and a good deal of the Eastern world would be completely different today than if the events of this book had never occurred.
This book is foundational to just about everything mankind will ever know or accomplish. It has directly led to massive undertakings of good will and charity. Because of this book, great projects have been undertaken, hospitals have been built, multitudes fed and clothed and orphanages founded.

THE BIBLE HAS TRANSFORMED THE WORLD
A good number of people around the world read portions of this book every day. It is one of the most published and printed books in the history of the world. It has been printed in just about every known language (including braille) and each year, since it was first written, it has been the world's greatest bestseller year after year. As time marches on it is continually printed in yet more languages.
The Bible was the first book ever put to the printing press. The man who first printed it, Johannes Gutenberg, was recently voted the most important man to have ever lived within the past 1000 years!
Posted by leonitus2464 2 years ago
leonitus2464
ive read the whole bible and no atheist say the universe came from nothing because we dont know where it came from yet and we don't fill in the gaps with god. also how do you know atheists dont have aim in their lives thats just claiming to know something you don't. but back to the fact that ive read the whole bible and know whats in it and I can safely say that it is an evil book go ahead and refute my argument that were made above.
Posted by soumya_a_thomas 2 years ago
soumya_a_thomas
No way..
The bible is not an evil book.
I believe the Christian God exists. There is some supernatural force responsible for this universe. Everything didn't start from 'nothing'.

John 20:29 :Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed." ---Quoted from the Bible.

Atheists don't have an 'aim' in their life.
As far as Christians are concerned we believe there is God and there is a life after death. The Bible has helped us in a whole lot of situations. The Bible enriches and enlightens us. It is a source of relief to many. Try reading the whole bible...and then try to tell me that your belief is true?
Posted by leonitus2464 2 years ago
leonitus2464
thats why I continued to make my argument. I also figured that I would just keep on until four anyway just in case.
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
@ leonitus2464, Though you won Round 2, Con may come back with a response for round 3, so you will need to keep your guard up and extend you arguments until the end.
Possibly your argument was too strong for Con to dispute and they have given up.
You may have Knocked Down his Argument's already.
So if he doesn't come back and fight, you will have to win as Con has not posed any counter argument and forfeits count as a loss to those forfeiting. They also lose conduct votes.
Posted by leonitus2464 2 years ago
leonitus2464
so its safe to say I won round two.
Vote Placed by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
leonitus2464knock_down_argumentTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con Forfeited
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
leonitus2464knock_down_argumentTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture