the bible

the bible is written by a bunch of people trying to promote ther religion

"the bible is written by a bunch of people trying to promote ther religion"

So I assume this is the resolution.

I will prove that the Bible is indeed a book written by a bunch of people to promote their religion, and I suppose Con will negate that.

CONTENTION THE FIRST: The Bible was written by a bunch of people

Now I assume of course we are talking about the New and Old Testament. The Old testament is literally a recording of Jewish History (or what they say their history is at least) so it was written by many different Jewish Kings prophets and chiefs, that's why it is broken into different books like Daniel, Ezekiel and Isaac. The New testament was also written by many people, such as the apostles Matthew, Marc, Luke and John (Sometimes they would have scribes and assistants write down their dictation of their recollection of the acts of the God they call Christ).

So I think we can all agree that the Bible was written by a bunch of people

The Bible was made to promote a religion

The bible is a book telling you all the awesome things that will happen if you follow the God of Abraham, and Deity called Christ. Its purpose is to promote the Religion of Abraham, Judaism. The Bible actually doesn't say anything about another religion of Christianity (unless you're in Texas), but the Bible does indeed promote the religion of the tribe of Judah.

Thank you, extensive research was undertaken in order to participate in this debate. I cower in fear at what I'm sure will be a merciless rebuttal by my opponent.

Here's a funny joke I heard the other day:

How does one commence an Ethiopian rave?
Stick food on the ceiling.

I may not have worded this debate correctly. So I will start over. I think the bible was written by a bunch of different people trying to promote their religion and their god. I don't think it is the word of god or any supreme being and I can't understand why anyone would think that it is. When I was 35, I decided I had better read this so called good book. Didn't take me long to figure out that this was not the word of any god. It is bloody, silly , not very well written and most of it is boring. It started on the first page when it stated that God created two great lights. The greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night. The moon does not have any light, it's light is reflected from the sun. But in the times the bible was written, they did not know that so they wrote " then God made two great lights." This is just a small error compared to some other things in this book.

Unfortunately you have made this debate unclear my friend. This is a mess, I don't know what you want to argue, and you are rambling. I think we will have to use the resolution that I interpreted because you have literally given me nothing to debate; I have no idea what you are trying to communicate.

So, I suggest you play the Devils advocate and say why The Bible is not created by a punch of people in order to espouse a religion.

My goodness, I think you are right, we are not going to have a debate and I think you are right, one of us is rambling! I could ask people all day to read my statement and they would agree I am saying the Bible is not the word of any god or supreme being. Your profile says you are a Christian. I have never had to exlain to a Christian what "Bible" I am talking about. If my profile had said I was a Moslem, then you could question what Bible. I think you just want to show people that you know the names of some of books in the Bible. It was just rambling and a waste of time. The Bible is supposed to be word for word the word of God. If you don't think it is word for word of God and you are one of those people who who just takes what they want to hear out of it, I can't debate someone who lives in a fictional world. If you believe it is the word for word of God , why does it say "then God made two great lights?" My answer was that a god or supreme being did not have anything to do with this book. It was just people trying to promote their religion and back in their time they thought the moon was a light of itself. I should not be suprised that a so called Christian can't answer a simple question. They never do. But at least when I talk to them in person, although they ramble on about something else and never give you a direct answer, they do understand the question. I really do not think you know much about the Bible other than a few quotes that someone has told you to read. Why don't you come out of your room and ask your Mom or Dad or some other grownup to explain the question to you. I don't mean this as a reflection of your age because I talk to a lot of young people that do make sense, but you do not. I know I won't get an answer to why it says ,"then God make two great lights." Just make a couple of smart a-- comments and do your rambling. Don't want to hear from you after that. This has taken way too much of my time just to get you to understand what this debate is about.

You're not looking for a debate, you are looking to harangue Christians with your straw man perception of what they believe.

Good day.

you are making me look like a prophet smart a-- comment no answer. christians are supposed to be nice to their fellow mankind. you shouldnt be calling people names you might not get into heaven. love straw man

Kid listen, I'M not christian, I took this debate because the actual resolution is ""the bible is written by a bunch of people trying to promote ther religion". And then you go off on some rant about a religion I care nothing about.

I think the winner of this debate should be whoever tells the funniest joke, ahem:

How many ethiopians can you fit in one bath tube?

NO one knows they keep slipping down the drain!!!

A guy walks into a bar and sees a big jar full of $100 dollar bills. He asked the bartender what it was all about. Bartender says you put 100 dollars in . then there are 3 things you have to do. If you do these 3 things, up get the jar full of 100's. The guy says Im not interested and goes back and starts drinking beer. The guy gets a little drunk, and goes up to the bartender and asks, ok whats the 3 things i have to do? Bartender says, see that great big guy back in the corner? He's a regular here and a pretty good fighter. You have to knock him out with one punch. See that woman over there? She's kind of a bar hop and has been with alot of men, but has never had an orgasm. You have to make her have an orgasm. Out in back, we have a big pit bull with a bad tooth. You have to pull his bad tooth. If you do these 3 things, you get the jar full of 100's. The guy says alright. Walks over to the big guy and knocks him out with one punch. The guy goes out back and you hear barking and snarling and then a big moan. The guy comes back in and has bite marks and scratches all over him and says," ok, where is that blonde with the bad tooth?"

A couple of New Jersey hunters are out in the woods when one of them falls to the ground. He doesn't seem to be breathing, his eyes are rolled back in his head. The other guy whips out his cell phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps to the operator: "My friend is dead! What can I do?"

The operator, in a calm soothing voice says: "Just take it easy. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a shot is heard.

The guy's voice comes back on the line. He says: "OK, now what?"
Posted by Smithereens 4 years ago
this is amusing but disapointing to see what debating has ben reduced to. Excellent jokes btw :P
Posted by Travniki 4 years ago
I'm being ironic.

Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Aaaaaaand imabench guessed correctly. This is a sh*tty debate.
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
I can already tell this is going to be a sh*tty debate
Vote Placed by Yep 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Self explanatory, Pro was clearly topical, con on the other hand, not so much
Vote Placed by TheOrator 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Fail debate is a fail