rangersfootballclub
I-am-a-panda

the covering of jade goodys final moments were shocking , and reflect sadly on todays society.

I-am-a-panda
Started: 3/20/2009 Category: News

rangersfootballclub

Pro

The covering of Jade Goodys last momnets , were nothing short of an outrage , sure she is doing it for her children and is dieing of cancer , but why should a women who has no real , talent and never contributed greatly to society , have the right to recvice millions of pounds and pretty much round the clock coverage and front page news of her last moments ?

there are so many people dieing everyday of cancer , leaving behin familes and lved ones everyday , thats just a sad fact of life , but an even sadder fact of life is why somebody who became famous for nothing except acting like an idiot , is treated like a god for her final moments. Sure she will lave two poor children behind , but so will so many other mums today as well. These other familys jsut have to bite hard and get on with it , the media of course covered this event because , she was "famous" but the newspaper stories of her breakign down in tears and getting into arguments and screaming , were quite disturbing and should'nt be shown on t.v and newspappers ...

So i ask my opponent , to jusisty why one women , should receive all this coverage and money for nothing , and how the media are doing good with this one.
I-am-a-panda

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate.

Firstly, this is a first hand experience for me. My mother died from cancer when I was 11.

Firstly, I will prove why Jade Goody's coverage is justified:

==CON ARGUMENT #1: IT RAISES CANCER AWARENESS==

Jade Goody is practically the first celebrity to have contracted cancer. When she was diagnosed, the media followed her story. People saw a once healthy woman disintegrate into a shadow of her former self. This raised awareness among many women, leading to more women testing for cervical cancer, or indeed ,cancer in general. Showing women the horrible effects of cancer allowed women to realise its potential, and therefore preventing more people of dying by cancer

==CON ARGUMENT #2: IT GIVES MONEY TO A GOOD CAUSE==

The money Jade Goody receives from this coverage goes straight to her sons. It gives them a future. Whilst it may not fill the void she leaves, it gives them a future and a memory of their mother. [Source: http://www.glamour.com...]

Also, a side benefit is further money invested into cancer treatment following news of the story.

==PRO:==

>>there are so many people dieing everyday of cancer , leaving behin familes and lved ones everyday , thats just a sad fact of life , but an even sadder fact of life is why somebody who became famous for nothing except acting like an idiot , is treated like a god for her final moments. Sure she will lave two poor children behind , but so will so many other mums today as well. These other familys jsut have to bite hard and get on with it , the media of course covered this event because , she was "famous" but the newspaper stories of her breakign down in tears and getting into arguments and screaming , were quite disturbing and should'nt be shown on t.v and newspappers ...<<

==REBUTTAL:==

People die everyday of cancer, yes it is a fact. People also die in wars, however, is is still broadcast nonetheless. Under my opponents logic, it shouldn't, because some random person just so happened to fall in the way of the bullet, and did nothing but get hit by the bullet.

Jade Goody chose to have herself shown in the media to raise awareness for cancer, as well as raise money for her sons, which I have addressed. Jade Goody is a personality. Her lack of intelligence and Big Brother controversy made her famous, yet, with a lack of skills such as acting, average at the same time. This made her very unique in a way, therefore making it justifiable she be the face for cancer awareness.

I would like to ask my opponent this: Is it better for people to not know of cancer's devastating effect on a person, or is it better for them to be fully aware of what can happen?

I am near my 3,000 character limit, and await my opponents response.
rangersfootballclub

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate , I am making it a quick 3000 word 2 round debate , simpliy because there is not to much to debate. sorry.

I would like to actually say my opponent is right in when he says she is the new face of cancer awarness , however , I think that she is only this face because she has always been a face in the paper , and she feels she has no choice .

I would have more respectful for her if she raised it for cancer reasearch etc , as her boys will no doubt have no problem getting money from the media in the near future .

Me and my opponent are very similar , I have lost memebers of my family to cancer , and to be honest and harsh sounding , nobody gives a crap about them , to me they are loved ones and mean the world , to somebody else they are a death statistic and a fact of life , fair enough . I wouldn't expect anybody to care , but when i see jade goody come along , after her appaling behaviour in big brother etc ... and see her make so much money from the press , it does not anger me , as any person would do what she did if they had the chance to revice millions , however it annoys me somewhat , when my relatives were hardworking , honest and loving people who always done a good deed when they could , passed with a tear and no more , I think the media are making a circus of this , they are almost making it a drama , something exciting that will sell papers , not raise awarness to much , at no point does it directly raise awarness , it only highlights cancer and its effects not what should be done.

The goverment could just do something simplier , make a big campaign and so on , school children edcucated , not this. I think its disgraceful , the way papperazi ask her to pose for a picture while she is dying for a couple of quid .
but thats just my view.
I-am-a-panda

Con

=====REBUTTAL=======

==PRO:==

>>Me and my opponent are very similar , I have lost memebers of my family to cancer , and to be honest and harsh sounding , nobody gives a crap about them , to me they are loved ones and mean the world , to somebody else they are a death statistic and a fact of life , fair enough . I wouldn't expect anybody to care , but when i see jade goody come along , after her appaling behaviour in big brother etc ... and see her make so much money from the press , it does not anger me , as any person would do what she did if they had the chance to revice millions , however it annoys me somewhat , when my relatives were hardworking , honest and loving people who always done a good deed when they could , passed with a tear and no more , I think the media are making a circus of this , they are almost making it a drama , something exciting that will sell papers , not raise awarness to much , at no point does it directly raise awarness , it only highlights cancer and its effects not what should be done.<<

==REBUTTAL:==

Cancer does not choose who it wants to kill. Nor do people choose to contract cancer. When someone has cancer, they end the same as everyone with cancer, whittled down to a shadow of themselves. Class does not affect this, or does skill. If my mother had been the face of cancer awareness, that would be no different than Jade Goody being the face on cancer awareness.

Jade Goody was ,like I said before, a personality. She herself did not choose to receive does millions of pounds. The media followed her. They made a story of her. However, restricting the media from doing such a thing reflects poorly on journalist freedom and society as a whole.

The story of Jade Goody herself raises cancer awareness let people watch her turn from a personality, to a person with cancer. The effects were devastating, and no doubt, it raised awareness.

==PRO:==

>>The goverment could just do something simplier , make a big campaign and so on , school children edcucated , not this. I think its disgraceful , the way papperazi ask her to pose for a picture while she is dying for a couple of quid .
but thats just my view.<<

==REBUTTAL:==

The government did not organise the media to do this, as suggested by the above comment. Jade Goody posing for a picture, again raises cancer awareness. She is doing it for more than a couple of pounds. She is doing it for the betterment of society.

==CONCLUSION:==

Jade Goody's media following raises awareness of cancer ---> More women get screened for cancer ---> Cancer is found earlier and caught ---> Society is bettered.

I would like to thank my opponent for the debate, and readers and voters for reading it.
Posted by Diptesh 8 years ago
Diptesh
i am for the statement and delighted to support rangersfootballclub.
as i had same thinking about this topic when jade was admitted in the hospital but where i saw this report there many were from the side of jade and sympathytic toward her so i didn't said anything.
guys today hundred of people dies off our eyes and we do not even think for them .
many people poor people die may be in front of our eyes and we just move off.
guys this life is like a chess where one wrong movement carries out the game from your hand
and to win the game we sacrifice our soldiers.
so guys if you have done a mistake and its severe then you are going to loose and dieseases are just a way to make you loose.........have a nice life.........ISHWAS
Posted by rangersfootballclub 8 years ago
rangersfootballclub
yup r.i.p nobody deserves to die of cancer .
Posted by I-am-a-panda 8 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Jade Goody just died , RIP.
rangersfootballclub
yes thank you for your well thought out arguments , good conduct and so on.
rangersfootballclub
could you please explain that comment a bit more...
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Wait...

Wierd people get their snuff film...

No one gets murdered in order to get it...

and that's a problem?
Vote Placed by Zeratul 8 years ago
Zeratul
rangersfootballclubI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by trendem 8 years ago
trendem
rangersfootballclubI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 8 years ago
philosphical
rangersfootballclubI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by JonathanSmits 8 years ago
JonathanSmits
rangersfootballclubI-am-a-pandaTied