vi_spex
Zombie_Vampire_Nina

the death of religion is the answer to all questions

Zombie_Vampire_Nina

Zombie_Vampire_Nina

Con

I assume we are going off the typical definition of religion and are focusing on the main religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism). Hopefully you agree with this definition (Religion- a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices). My citations, if any are applicable at the time, will be listed at the bottom of my argument. Let me start off by saying I disagree with the addition of religion in politics, there is no reason for Church and State to be of one entity. However I view religion as an incredibly important factor in culture. Most of what we have today in part is because of religion. Though I concede that religion has not been fully accepting of science, most of the morals, laws, and arts that now exist are as a result of religion. Philosophy came about from religion as well, considering many of the Greek and Asian philosophers were devout people. Most of our laws come from the Ten Commandments (thou shall not kill, thou shall not steal, etc.) and the open and tolerant views now favored by the western world came about, in part, because of the revision of religion. Though some religious extremist do exist they do not make up the majority of religious people.
I believe that claiming the end of religion will solve all problems in the world is completely ridiculous. It is as bad as saying the death of all blacks would end crime or the castrating of all men would stop rape and violence against women. Religion, if anything, is widely against violence and crime. In the past when it was more involved with the government most religions could have been considered violent, but even then that was because those religions were involved with government. The only time religion actually proves to be bad is when it is combine with the government, otherwise it is merely the concept of worshiping a higher power and believing in a certain set of morals laid out by the founders of that religion (or the revisionists). The death of religion, one could say, would lead to the death of the family unit as much of what keeps family together is the concept of religion (not always, but most of the time). Furthermore it helps keep society in a state of ethics and morality, as long as it doesn't become involved in the government.
I believe the real problem, and the problem most atheists have, is the concept of a theocracy, something that rarely exists outside of third world nations and the Middle East. Now I do not agree with everything in this article (citation 2), but I do believe that religion is an important contribution to society. My final part of this argument is that religion helps people become better. Though this is more of personal experience, my Uncle was very depressed and self-loathing a while back, after he became a part of a local church and started helping with the charity events that church did he had a newfound sense of purpose. I am not going to argue that you should be a religious person because the choice is yours, but understand that what you are currently suggesting is enforcing atheism on other people. The death of religion is the establishment of a completely different ideology, one of personal pleasure and self-gratification. That may be appealing to some, but to others religion is their way of life. My friend, a Muslim, is fairly devoted to her religion and views it not only as a religion but a way of life. She views it as bettering herself and helping others at the same time.
Personally, I don't see how getting rid of religion would help anyone. People need to believe in something or they will fall for anything, simply that. I am not asking for you to be religious, I am only asking that you understand that everyone has a different reason for being religious and that for the most part religious people are not dangerous.
Citation 1: Dictionary Definition of religion. https://www.merriam-webster.com...
Citation 2: Religion's impact on society (the author speaks mostly about Christianity and I do not completely agree with his sentiments because he does want religion involved with government and I disagree with that) http://www.heritage.org....
vi_spex

Pro

and which question is the death of religion not the answer to?

religion is only immoral
Zombie_Vampire_Nina

Con

Well one moment let me see what you mean here. From what I can tell you are trying to say that the answer to all questions is the death of religion. You then proceeded to say that religion is only immoral, something that is an incredibly broad and easily disprovable. When you look at religion you can clearly see that it is in fact the opposite of immorality. I am a Christian, we believe that if you are sinful you can either seek forgiveness or you will go to hell. This is the same in Islam and, if I remember correctly, all other religions that exist. Sin is immoral, religious people value virtue, morality, and love. Many religious people believe it is more important to give to others than it is to receive gifts and glory. I'm sorry but I cannot at all see how you view religion to be immoral when the entire basis of religion is following a set of morals. Besides, morality in itself comes from religion, the concept of being immoral was the idea of being nonreligious and sinful.
The death of religion would solve nothing and you have provided no argument to claim it would. Please, in the next round, provide a real argument to your claim, otherwise I am left with only your anecdotes.
Again let me remind you that religion is part of what makes a culture, to destroy religion is to destroy culture.
vi_spex

Pro

so islam shouldnt die out? or all other religions and humanity
Zombie_Vampire_Nina

Con

Why would you want humanity to die out? If you really do then you better go first. Furthermore I disagree with the ideology of radical Islam and believe that, like Christianity, it needs reform. But we cannot force them to change or try to make Islam go away entirely. It is a religion with many followers, most of those followers are good, upstanding people who are fully capable of reforming their religion. The problem is that unlike other religions, Islam's teachings require strict adherence to the Quran, thus making reform harder. Again, the large majority of Muslims are peaceful and trying to eradicate them and their beliefs would fix nothing. You sound as foolish as those far right-wing individuals who believe banning Islam entirely would somehow fix the problem of radical Islam.
No religions should die out, and I find it seriously disturbing you think that humanity should die out. Please grasp the concept that you too are a human and if you honestly believe in the death of humanity then by all means take matters into your own hands and go first.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
yes, i always win
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
no.. you failed to defeat it, losing
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
Regardless, you failed to make a valid argument. You're no less than a debate baiter, a person that makes a debate where they make a debate where they cannot lose.
Grow up and face the reality that you'll have to put in effort when debating. Zombie_Vampire_Ninja boldly put in his best efforts, and clearly showed that he can fair well against a debate baiter.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
no.. it is true
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
Zombie_Vampire_Ninja won. Regardless of whether I do believe that religion only prevents humanity from seeking the truth about how we, and the universe, were created or not, Zombie_Vampire_Ninja clearly provided more support to his arguments and didn't write a response in less than a minute. Vi_Spex, on the other hand, provided no evidence, no rebuttals whatsoever, and showed no motivation or effort to actually debate.
Vote Placed by Mharman 1 year ago
Mharman
vi_spexZombie_Vampire_NinaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Spex had four lines worth of arguments, and they barely said anything. Con actually used evidence to backup con's claims. Just looking at pro's argument is enough to give Con S&G. Conduct to con, pro advocated for the death of humanity.