zezima
Rational_Thinker9119

the earth could be flat

Rational_Thinker9119

zezima

Pro

first I would like to say before you think I'm an idiot, that I don't think the Earth is flat. I'm just going to prove that it could be lol.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

I'm just going to assume that the first round is for acceptance, to make it fair. Present your case.
zezima

Pro

first I would like to say, how do you know it is not? you can say you've seen pictures, but those pictures could easily be fakes. you yourself have not been to outer space your self and have not witnessed it yourself. you can not go by anyones word and be 100% sure they are right just because they may be "smart". now please give evidence of why it cant be flat.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Reasons why the Earth could not be flat

Global Travel

The Earth could not be flat, because if the Earth was flat there would have to be an edge/ boundary/ barrier of some sort. The standard flat Earth model includes a disc shaped Earth for example. If you were to start in the middle of the disc shaped Earth and keep going in one direction, you would eventually hit and edge of the Earth, or some type of boundary. This view is incompatible with reality, because of how many planes fly over all parts of the sky all the time. Basically, any flat Earth model is destined to fail due to the fact that wherever the hypothetical edge/ boundary is placed, a plane could fly over. My opponent mentions seeing something with his own eyes, well the very fact that you can take this trip yourself and see it with your own eyes is strong proof for a round Earth. Most people I have talked with who believe in a flat Earth, believe that edge/ boundary is in Antarctica. People travel to Antarctica all the time. My opponent may say that's just what I've been told by the airline records. How do I know it is true? Well, the very fact that I could book that flight today proves it to be true. Unless, of course, one believes that they haul you off and kill you/ jail you before you get to Antarctica, threaten your family to keep them quite, and forge records to show you actually went there just to people would not discover the edge of the Earth or something. However, this is so out of the realm of reality that it is hard to take serious. If you go this route, I have a defeater for it in my next round. Regardless, since human beings have flown over every inch of the Earth, came back around in a loop like they should if the Earth was spherical from wherever starting location, and never reported and edge of the Earth, shows there could not be an edge/ boundary of the Earth. The nail in the coffin, is the fact that you can book a flight to prove this to yourself today, you don't even need to take anybody's word for it.

The Moon

During lunar eclipses, the shadow of the Earth can be seen the moon. It is always round. However, because of the Earth's spin, there is no possible way the Earth could be a flat disc shape. This is because if it was, we would only see a consistent round shape of the Earth, if the eclipse was in one spot, every time. This is not the case. It does not matter where the eclipse is, the Earth was have a consistent round shape. This could only be true, if the Earth was spherical. Thus, the Earth is spherical. If the Earth is spherical, that means it cannot be flat. Therefore, the Earth cannot be flat. The resolution has been negated.

zezima

Pro

My dad was in a boat one day and got lost. He turned around and thought he was going in the right direction. Little did he know, the edge of the earth was right there. He fell off. He is falling in space as we speak.
How do you know people have gone around the earth? Did you see them do it?
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

"My dad was in a boat one day and got lost. He turned around and thought he was going in the right direction. Little did he know, the edge of the earth was right there. He fell off. He is falling in space as we speak."

This could not be true. People have gone around the world in boats all the time, proving a round Earth. For example, one man even travelled the world on a pedal boat with no motor [1]. It took him 13 years. He has pictures of his trip, recorded paths, and plenty of witnesses. Do you have any source to back up the claim that your Dad fell off the edge of the Earth? If not, then it can be disregarded. You can even book a cruise around the world tomorrow if you do not believe the world is round [2]. Here are the facts I presented:

1) There are many recorded instances of people travelling around the globe by boat
2) There are no recorded instances of people hitting and edge while travelling by boat
3) You can travel to globe by boat yourself

These three facts are incompatible rationally with the view that the Earth is flat. Could the Earth be flat? No.

What's another reason we know the Earth is spherical? NASA photos proving this. My opponent could claim they were faked, but photo editors can sniff out photo shop type fakes nowadays in a heart beat (there are huge differences between doctored photographs, and authentic ones). Someone would have exposed them by now. This has not happened. Thus, the pictures are real. This is another reason I know your father did not fall off the edge of the Earth.

"How do you know people have gone around the earth? Did you see them do it?"

You don't need to see 'x' to know 'x' is there. Thus, one can still conclude truth without direct observation needed. I know atoms exist, through evidence and logic, I do not have to actually see atoms to know they exist for example. Because one does not need to directly see a truth, to know it is true, then this line of questioning is meaningless.

Also, my opponent didn't even refute my argument from the moon. It doesn't matter where a lunar eclipse is, the shadow will always appear a consistent shape of round on the moon. This would be literally, impossible if the Earth was flat. If the earth was flat and disc-shaped, the you could only see a consistent round shape every time, if every eclipse was in the same place and position (right overhead of the disc). This is not the case. Thus, this proves a spherical Earth beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Due to the arguments presented, it's clear that there is no possible the way the Earth could be flat. The resolution has been negated.

[1] http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
[2] http://www.worldcruisecentral.com...
zezima

Pro

da erf es flat
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Not it's not! I win :)
Posted by cybertron1998 4 years ago
cybertron1998
zezima i want you to take a good look at some research against flat earth with no bias and then come back
Posted by GiantSpoonMan 4 years ago
GiantSpoonMan
Zezima would you mind if i challenged you to this debate?
Posted by zezima 4 years ago
zezima
really....
Posted by cybertron1998 4 years ago
cybertron1998
The earth is not flat
Vote Placed by induced 4 years ago
induced
zezimaRational_Thinker9119Tied
Reasons for voting decision: you cant be 100% certain that the earth is round. you shouldnt just assume that you must be right about something, just because there are some great indicators that you are right. how can you prove that there isnt even 1 in a billion trillion chance that you are mistaken? people are mistaken all the time about things. you should keep an open mind
Vote Placed by utahjoker 4 years ago
utahjoker
zezimaRational_Thinker9119Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Do I have to say anything else