andreiranisav
Blade-of-Truth

the geographical proximity as the main criteria for admission in high school

Blade-of-Truth

andreiranisav

Con

Imagine this for a moment. You are a hard working, dedicated guy (another word for a nerd) who is trying to get into law school. You try your best in everything you do, and you are certain you are going to get into that elite high school. BUT WAIT. They removed it; now you will have to go to the school closest to your home. Your parents are too poor to move houses simply for your schooling. It shouldn't be too bad, you think to yourself. First day of school. You walk into the classroom. A ball of paper flies straight into your face. Then another. And another. It's not because they're targeting you in particular either, those low lives are simply looking for something to pass their time, because they don't care about their schooling, their parents simply force them to go. So I ask you, Pro, is this really fair on the smart people who want to do well in school and get a good job? "
Blade-of-Truth

Pro

I accept the debate, and will limit the scope of my argument to American high-schools. First, I would like to define what I will mean when using the term high-school:

High-school: a school especially in the United States usually including grades 9–12.

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com...

For clarification purposes, it is my understanding that the main criteria for admission into high-school isn't geographical proximity but rather, the graduation of middle school, i.e., The full completion of 8th grade.

With that said, I believe my opponent (Con) is arguing against geographical proximity being the standard for determining which high-school a potential student must attend. I will wait for the 2nd round to begin presenting my argument in the hopes that my opponent will agree with my clarification and begin his round 2 with his initial argument.

andreiranisav

Con

andreiranisav forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Pro

It has been agreed upon in absentia that the topic will officially be recognized as geographical proximity as the basis for determining which high-school a potential student will attend. I will be arguing the For position.

First and Foremost, I have proven beyond a doubt that my opponent has committed the ultimate sin known as plagiarism. I would like the audience to look over the comment section for verification of this claim and to note it when it comes time for voting. Now, to begin my argument.

I. Geographical proximity as a determinant in high-school choice is an accepted tradition.

The practice of school districts have been around since the early 1900's. School districts are public school systems that provide regular, special, and/or vocational education services for children in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. Public school systems in the United States are locally administrated, and their geographic structure varies by state and region. Most districts in the Mid-Atlantic and New England states follow county, township, or city boundaries, while districts in the Midwest and Western states are generally independent of municipal boundaries and frequently intersect statistical areas like Census tracts and block groups. The U.S. has more than 14,000 public school districts and spends more than $500 billion on public elementary and secondary education each year (combined spending of federal, state, and local governments) [1].

[1]http://www.census.gov...

II. Magnet Programs help the 'nerds' get into better schools without geographical proximity as an issue.

With such a practice being in place for so long, one must ask the question: Surely if there was a better system, we would have altered our traditions and laws to make it a common practice right? Throughout the century many school districts have become aware of certain issues by using this practice to determine which high school a student will attend. Such special programs known as Magnet programs or Magnet schools. Most magnet schools do not have entrance criteria, but rather, embody the belief that all students have interests and talents that families and educators believe are better cultivated in a magnet school and therefore use a computer-based blind lottery system. There are also “Talented & Gifted” magnet schools that may utilize student assessment data and teacher or parent recommendations for admission [2]. Such schools allow potential students to transcend beyond the limitation of geographical proximity. Thus it really isn't an issue for "nerds" who wish to be in better schools like the claim my opponent is trying to make.

[2]http://www.magnet.edu...

III. A Bad high school = Bad chance at getting into a Good College?

My opponent would like the audience to believe that just because someone goes to a bad high school, that they won't have a fair chance to get into a good college. This is simply false. There are countless scholarship programs, student grants and tuition paying reward programs that high school students all have access to if they meet the criteria [3]. Colleges also offer many scholarships for non-academic related pursuits such as sports. My own Father grew up in the ghetto of Washington, D.C. He never attended a 'good' high school and actually found himself to be the minority as a white kid. After getting into wrestling and ascending to the rank of state champ, he was invited to William & Mary College on a full-ride scholarship. After that he went on to attend Nova Law School and now enjoys a comfortable lifestyle with a beautiful wife and a massive house while in the position of Managing Partner at his own Law firm. To claim that bad high schools don't provide fair opportunities is extremely incorrect and ultimately false on my opponent's side.

[3]https://www.scholarships.com...

In conclusion,

It is evident that my opponent is making claims that are completely unfounded and ultimately incorrect. Within my argument I have proven that there are other options for the students who wish to attend a 'better' high school than the one that is within their own district if it is considered 'bad'. I have shown that there are several options for students who attend 'bad' high schools and still wish to attend a good college, and lastly, I have shown that the system for using Geographical Proximity is not a broken system and is one that should continue to be practised as it has been for the last century.
andreiranisav

Con

andreiranisav forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Pro

My opponent has, once again, forfeited his last round.

Because of this, I extend all my arguments as they remain unchallenged by my opponent.

Furthermore, because I have provided my rebuttal in the previous round I feel there is nothing further to present.

In Conclusion,

I eagerly await my opponent's final argument.
andreiranisav

Con

andreiranisav forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Pro

My opponent has forfeited every round. I am assuming this is because he was caught plagiarizing his opening statement. He literally copy and pasted it from another debate, and I have provided proof of this in the comment section. Furthermore, my arguments stand unchallenged.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to any and all challenges from my opponent in the future.
Posted by Relativist 3 years ago
Relativist
Uhhh damn, he plagiarised, problem is....I'm in his debate T.T. Same resolution btw LOL
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 3 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Lol right? Congrats on writing something worthy of copying ! I'm kinda torn between reporting him or not, I really just want to pummel him for the rest of the debate because of this lol.
Posted by simpleguy 3 years ago
simpleguy
In a weird way, I feel honoured, but yes, that is obvious plagiarism and should be reported.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 3 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
WAIT A MINUTE! I just discovered that andreiranisav plagiarised his initial argument word-for-word from another one of his debates. Evidence:

"Imagine this for a moment. You are a hard working, dedicated guy (another word for a nerd) who is trying to get into law school. You try your best in everything you do, and you are certain you are going to get into that elite high school. BUT WAIT. They removed it; now you will have to go to the school closest to your home. Your parents are too poor to move houses simply for your schooling. It shouldn't be too bad, you think to yourself. First day of school. You walk into the classroom. A ball of paper flies straight into your face. Then another. And another. It's not because they're targeting you in particular either, those low lives are simply looking for something to pass their time, because they don't care about their schooling, their parents simply force them to go. So I ask you, Pro, is this really fair on the smart people who want to do well in school and get a good job? "
-- This was used as Con's opening statement... now please check out the link below and read the Con's argument in Round 2!

http://www.debate.org...

This is disgusting, he literally copy and pasted his opponents argument and started this debate using that. Now, I am somewhat new to this site myself so would any senior members have any advice on what I should do in this situation? Personally, I want to keep going so I can just pummel this guy in this debate because regardless of plagiarism or not - I can win. But I ask, out of respect for community guidelines, what should my next move be? Reporting this debate or reporting my opponent for plagiarism?
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 3 years ago
Actionsspeak
andreiranisavBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF and pro had sources.
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
andreiranisavBlade-of-TruthTied
Vote Placed by Relativist 3 years ago
Relativist
andreiranisavBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit and extended arguments.
Vote Placed by Xerge 3 years ago
Xerge
andreiranisavBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit