theOmniscient
WishIWasSuperman

the glass is always full

WishIWasSuperman

theOmniscient

Pro

It is my believe that "the glass" of pessimism/optimism is always full. first round is for acceptance. second is for arguments. that's all we'll need.
WishIWasSuperman

Con

I accept... This sounds fun.
theOmniscient

Pro

Allow me to begin with a mind-boggling tale of indescrible-ness.

Long ago, near the earth's beginnings, when man was small and insignificant, a wise wanderer brought upon the Oods the gift of toast. They were so in awe by the mans wiseness that they gave him
the glass
. He thought it to be just an empty cup, but it was truly a chalice of wonder. He drank from it frequently, and it caused his urine to become streams of philosophy! Of course, the urine was not corporeal, and unable to be seen. But when the man died, the glass fell into the hands of the world's philosophers, and they filled it with their pessimism and optimism, their hopes and their lies, but only half of what went in was noticed. So future philosophers were unable to see it's true fullness. "it's half full!" one would say "it's half empty!" another would shout. Their ignorance blinded them, and they could not see that it had been filled with everything: the seen and the unseen. But while they were arguing, the opportunist took the glass, drank all it's contents, and smashed it in a mead hall.

And that is why footballs don't have feathers.

The End
WishIWasSuperman

Con

Well, thank you for that very interesting and enlightening tale. Definitely a worthy read, certainly unexpected. I had originally prepared to argue from what is essentially a highly scientific point of view involving sub-atomic space, but now it seems unnecessary. In fact you resolved the statement in favour for me.

While Pro's story is entertaining, a little mind boggling and a touch confusing (for me at least), it's ending shows the glass is not always full.

The ending of the story states "the opportunist took the glass, DRANK ALL IT'S CONTENTS and SMASHED it in a mead hall."

By incorporating these aspects of the story, it shows 2 things.

1 - the glass is emptied by the opportunist, since all its contents were consumed, and by definition "always full" as used in the resolution means at no point can it be emptied, since the requirement for Pro is that the glass is ALWAYS full. At this point Pro states it was emptied.

2 - the glass is smashed. Now that the glass has been smashed it can no longer be full, since it's no longer capable of its ability to contain anything at all, hence it can't ALWAYS be full, since it's no longer capable of holding anything.

Thank you Pro for the entertainment and the challenge, but I think it is clear voters should vote Con, as the glass is NOT always full.
Posted by theOmniscient 2 years ago
theOmniscient
Well, the last part of my tale was just for kicks, a reference to a meme from facebook:
"Dear pessimist and optimist, while you two were bickering about the glass, I drank it!" -the opportunist

The rest was my actual arguement.
Posted by WishIWasSuperman 2 years ago
WishIWasSuperman
Well played... We'll played. I have attempted my best.
Posted by theOmniscient 2 years ago
theOmniscient
the dye has been cast, do your worst.
Posted by WishIWasSuperman 2 years ago
WishIWasSuperman
I'm waiting for Pro's argument before revealing anything, but I think This will be interesting. Keen to see what approach they take.
Posted by samanthafalk 2 years ago
samanthafalk
I believe that the glass is always half empty. Just face it Pros there is no winning for this debate
Posted by PeacefulChaos 2 years ago
PeacefulChaos
I don't want to give Con any arguments that would influence the outcome of the debate.
Posted by dtaylor971 2 years ago
dtaylor971
Explain?
Posted by PeacefulChaos 2 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Even if Pro used an argument like that, Con could still rather easily win.
Posted by dtaylor971 2 years ago
dtaylor971
Con is SCREWED. Pro didn't specify if it had to be water. It could be other matter, such as air, or even antimatter.
Posted by PeacefulChaos 2 years ago
PeacefulChaos
If Con can provide at least one instance when the glass isn't full, he wins.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
theOmniscientWishIWasSupermanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro told a story that defeated his conclusion as shown by pro.
Vote Placed by kyro90 2 years ago
kyro90
theOmniscientWishIWasSupermanTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'll come back later