the government should mandate that all vehicals be powered by an alternativr fule souce by 2040

Con Tied Pro
Started: 12/22/2008 Category: Technology

i negate the resolution that That, by 2040, the federal government should mandate that all new passenger vehicles and light trucks be powered by an alternative fuel source

On behalf of the members of this site, I should like to welcome my opponent to and thank him for addressing this important issue.

Unfortunately, my opponent was not explicit as to the nature of his objections so I have, therefore, been obliged to conclude that he either believes that alternative fuels are not associated with glamorous, high-performance cars or, otherwise, that he is an oil tycoon and consequently has a vested interest in putting profits before pollution.

Now, please don't be deceived into believing that that alternatively-powered cars have too be small, slow and as dull as ditchwater. Here's what's available on the market right now:

The Tesla Roadster is powered by an electric motor:

The Venturi Fetish is hybrid-powered

All Saabs are available with biofuel engines

The Honda FCX Clarity runs on hydrogen

And here's what's coming soon:

The Audi R8 V12 Le Mans is powered by a V12 diesel engine

The Saab Aero X Concept is powered by a V6 biofuel engine

The RUF Porsche 911 is powered by an electric motor

Glamorous enough for you? And who knows what else will be available by 2040?

If my opponent agrees that green cars can be desirable, and it is rather the case that he makes a living by prospecting and drilling for oil, and stands to lose out financially if alternative fuels are mandated by the United States Government, I have little sympathy for him - the need to reduce reliance on fossil fuels is an urgent one and just as steam replaced the horse, and gasoline replaced steam, the switch to alternative fuels is inevitable and I advise my opponent to adjust his investment plans accordingly.

ppauloni forfeited this round.

Arguments extended.

ppauloni forfeited this round.

Pity, I was looking forward to a debate about cars - I love cars. Never mind.
Posted by anikiforouk 7 years ago
wow, great debate... I ll challenge Pro... show you guys how the pros debate
Posted by brian_eggleston 7 years ago
Cool, thanks, and Yuletide Greetings to you!
Posted by irish_hockey 7 years ago
LOL!!! I thank (my) God you find my remarks at a minimum, complimentary. And I am especially pleased that you detected the gist of my message in the middle and not at the ends. Looking forward to the give and take between you and your opponent.

Seriously, though, after listening to decades of proposals/ideas such as you have espoused, I am disappointed that they consistently lack ideas for implementation. All I hear is the idea put forward followed by.... silence. Please don't say that is the responsibility of the the energy or transportation companies. After the wild ride of energy costs the last 8 months, it is time that everyone submit ideas for consideration in the search for a solution.

You may ask where my solutions are. When you have completed your debate I will be happy to have a discussion and exchange of ideas.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Posted by brian_eggleston 7 years ago

I accept you made some very legitimate points made there. Perhaps my opponent will take them up? In light of this, I will not pre-empt his arguments by discussing the issues now, but would like to reply to your comments if he chooses to take another tack.

B/t/w, I consider "socialist superior elitist" to be a compliment!
Posted by irish_hockey 7 years ago
Mr eggleston, like all Socialists, has all the grand demands that everyone else must comply, without it affecting him. I detect his Socialist banner Animal Farm equality delusion: All animals are equal, some animals are more equal.

Instead of pointing out what has been produced, he needs to address the costs of his edict.

Electric cars - what is the battery construction (internals), the life expectancy of the material, treatment/disposal/recycling requirements? where will the electricity come from? The electric car cannot produce the electricity to replace that which it consumes. Do we need to build more coal powered or nuclear plants?

Hydrogen - What are the plans for producing the gas, where will the plants be built? what is the source for the hydrogen extraction? Since water is the most abundant source of hydrogen, does he recommend separating the H from the O? what will that do to the environment? If we have so much oxygen in the atmosphere, will it have a detrimental effect on plant life? How will the fuel stations be paid for? I know his answer to that - massive redistribution of wealth. How will these stations be protected against terrorist attack? I know the explosive volatility of the gas, does Mr. E?

Diesel - fossil fuel derivative. Where is the benefit there?

And lastly, the "mandate" will most assuredly be a massive tax burden on the "all are equal because we (does not include Socialist superior elitists) are all poor" massives. Methinks I should stay out of the Chaka limousine reserved lanes so as to not slow down Brian's travels on my behalf....
Posted by dvhoose 7 years ago
Haha KRFournier... how did you think of that?
Posted by KRFournier 7 years ago
Maybe it's fill in the blank.

That by 2040, the federal government should mandate that all new passenger vehicles and light trucks... should run on stem cells.

There, that should be controversial to all sorts of people.
Posted by crackofdawn 7 years ago
Exactly, what?
Posted by dvhoose 7 years ago
That all new passenger vehicles and light trucks... what?
Vote Placed by Kantus 7 years ago