BA_BA_BA
Yep

the kindle is better than books

Yep
Started: 2/27/2012 Category: Technology

BA_BA_BA

Pro

alright, please accept this debate. This should be fun with a small word count

Argument: The kindle is better than books because The kindle is strong and light, as well as portable. Not to mention the kindle can keep hundreds of books in a small device. Plus the books you can buy are a lot cheaper than hard copies.
Yep

Con

Small wordcount, so i will proceed to refute my opponents arguments.
1. Strong and light- My opponent didn't elaborate on what "strong" meant, don't weigh this in a round, as for the lightness of it, no source is given to prove it is lighter than all books.
2. Portability- Bad argument for 2 reasons A) Books are portable, my opponent never stresses portability through only the kindle and B) (Cross apply with argument three of keeping hundreds of books on device) If it's lost, it's goodbye to quote "hundred of books".
3. Hundreds of books on small device- Sharing- Ebooks cannot be shared due to DRM (Digital Rights Management) and B)
4. "Cheaper than Hard Copies"- No source, what about paperbacks + add in the cost of the kindle.
Checkcomment
BA_BA_BA

Pro

I will provide my rebuttals in order of my opponents arguments.
1. For strong, a book can bend and pages may fall out. I have read a library book like this and it was infuriating. I am sorry for my obfuscating on light but compare a Harry potter book to a kindle. I will tell you the kindle is a lot lighter.
2.For portability, you can keep 1500 books on one device[1], compared to one traditional book. If you want to cart around 1500 books at a time, Have fun.
please clarify on 3 and 4
Supposing you are on a long car trip and you brought a book and you finish it. You now have to suffer for the rest of the car trip. With a kindle you can read multiple books and only bring one device/book

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Yep

Con

1. Drop a kindle on the floor, it breaks. Drop a book on the floor, it's fine.
2. 1500 books, cross apply arguments 2 and 3 please. I doubt a vacation LOGICALLY requires 1500 books. I doubt it requires even 1 full book (judges think logically please)
3. Extend, my opponent doesn't understand, DRM does not allow software to be transferred or copied in any way, (check the source in comments) Thus, you cannot share an ebook on a kindle WITHOUT the other person buying it. You can however lend a book to a friend and borrow as many books as you want from a local library.
4. Once again, extend my paperbacks argument,kindle cost argument, and my "NO SOURCE" argument clearly showing my opponent doesn't prove the cost.

My sources are in comments.
BA_BA_BA

Pro

thank you
1. Have you ever dropped a kindle from waist or shoulder height. It is fine. However, with a book you will bend pages, tear pages, tear cover, whatever. Not so fine.
2. Unless you are one of the slowest readers on earth, you should easily be able to finish two or three books on a vacation, if not more. Have you ever drove to Florida from Minnesota? TWO AND A HALF DAYS THERE AND TWO AND A HALF DAYS BACK! you will need way more than one book on that vacation. Plus, you can buy books while you are driving. Can you do that with a book? NO!
3. thank you for clarification and I will concede on that point.
4. Books wear out. Kindle doesn't unless you throw it around. If you did that with a book, it would probably die in the first day.
Yep

Con

My opponent sites wikipedia, this in itself was a bad idea, not a credible source. Next, PLEASE CHECK THE COMMENTS SECTION, My opponent has allowed me to put my sources there.
1. Extend, no source showing kindle doesn't break and books do.
2. One of the slowest readers on earth? I apologize if logically i cannot read a book for A) 10 hour straight and B) if it is over 1000 pages, what kind of books are we talking about here? (Undefined by Pro)
3.Conceded- Extend IMMEDIATELY! Impact- Sharing, A) Saves Money B)Library Argument (Borrow and Lend)
4. Books wear out, but the kindle becomes utterly obsolete. Books exist from the early 1900's look at F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" Then look at your kindle. Vote con for the 4 refutations
Posted by Oldfrith 4 years ago
Oldfrith
@Doulous:

Authors have signed mine... lol jk
Posted by BA_BA_BA 4 years ago
BA_BA_BA
welcome. Thank you, it was a fun debate, seeing how i agree with books too
Posted by Yep 4 years ago
Yep
When i accepted this debate, i never realized how little 750 characters was, but it was a great debate and a nice topic! Thank you for allowing me to post sources in comments as well.
Posted by BA_BA_BA 4 years ago
BA_BA_BA
fine by me, I don't care if you put sources here
Posted by Yep 4 years ago
Yep
Your position is much easier to back up however, thus i see no reason the comments section can't be used to site sources (i'm not setting up any arguments here)
Posted by BA_BA_BA 4 years ago
BA_BA_BA
sorry about that word count but I would rather not have a debate where my opponent lists five pages of info for me to read. Trust me, it works against me too
Posted by Yep 4 years ago
Yep
This debate has an extremely small word count, as such I'm sure my opponent won't mind me posting sources in the comments section,
http://www.nytimes.com...

http://www.readwriteweb.com...
Posted by BA_BA_BA 4 years ago
BA_BA_BA
maybe not, but what good is a signed book?!? :)
Posted by Doulos1202 4 years ago
Doulos1202
authors wont sign your kindle at book signings ;)
Vote Placed by FourTrouble 4 years ago
FourTrouble
BA_BA_BAYepTied
Reasons for voting decision: A disappointing defense of the kindle by Pro, Con cleanly refuted all of Pro's arguments.
Vote Placed by Doulos1202 4 years ago
Doulos1202
BA_BA_BAYepTied
Reasons for voting decision: spill water on a kindle, then spill water on a book. which one works after it dries off?
Vote Placed by alkid96 4 years ago
alkid96
BA_BA_BAYepTied
Reasons for voting decision: Books don't shatter into a million peices if you accidently drop it down the stairs.
Vote Placed by DevonNetzley 4 years ago
DevonNetzley
BA_BA_BAYepTied
Reasons for voting decision: My vote.
Vote Placed by Buddamoose 4 years ago
Buddamoose
BA_BA_BAYepTied
Reasons for voting decision: So con gets my vote for sources and arguments, altho i will admit a slight bias towards books as opposed to kindle con did refute nicely. Pro gets spelling and grammar, and conduct because, well, he let con post sources in comments(very nice btw) and cause well, I hate awarding 0 points unless the person is outright mean/ignorant.
Vote Placed by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
BA_BA_BAYepTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think LK has the right idea for judging. Arguments were nearly impossible to weigh, so two sources trump one.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
BA_BA_BAYepTied
Reasons for voting decision: I cannot do args, but con used 2 sources, one of them extremely reliable, the other is ok. 2 credible sources > 1 semi credible wikipedia.