thomas_L
ProwlerKnight

the laws in place currently about prostitution are just widely accepted Prejudice

thomas_L

Pro

In today's society where we advocate acceptance so long as it wont cause any harm to others isn't it bizarre that we still have such a negative outlook on prostitutes what do prostitutes do that is so harmful to others that they should suffer not only the misery of public opinion but also various laws that have been written with the target of keeping them out of sight (I am speaking from the UK here).

the only possible conclusion I can draw is that it is a old prejudice that has yet to be dealt with I mean condoms where only invented in the 1920 and people had bigger problems at that time so I think that the opinion of prostitutes comes from far back on history in the Victorian era where women where expected to be dutiful wives rather than objects of sexual fascination and such they where told to dress modestly and to obey there husbands wishes. now I don't agree with this but you can see the reason when there's no way to be sure if you will get pregnant after you have had sex you don't want your woman sleeping around in case you end up with somebody Else's kid. but that is no longer the case there are a number of ways to stop yourself getting pregnant so isn't this whole sexual promiscuity thing a little obsolete? no doubt factors like religion and supposed morals have kept this issue alive well passed is expiry date.

many people would argue that people in an open relationship or one where one of the partners sees other people is wrong as it show the couple don't care for each other which I think is completely wrong. there once was a speaker from ancient Athens named Euripides known for his speech's on women and he said "in Athens we have three kinds of women wives for procreation (for child rearing) concubines for companionship (for love) and Hetaira for enjoyment (for sex). I don't see why this philosophy cant be applied to both sexes after all a relationship is give and take so why do we all have this standard relationship plan in our head it makes no sense to me
ProwlerKnight

Con

Seeing as I live in a state in the US that still allows legal prostitution I guess I will take up this argument.

I can't really argue the fact that there are many ways to prevent pregnancy, but I can go on to say Pregnancy isn't the only problem with Prostitution or open-sex.

Sexually transmitted diseases, or STD's for short, are very common in prostitution, ESPECIALLY the illegal. Condoms aren't 100% effective agianst STD's.

Also, prostitution influences, not directly but indirectly, cheating in relationships, because you pay to have sex with a total stranger, no taking them out to dinner or dates, just right then and there.

You based your argument on Pregnancy, but pregnancy is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to prostitution, otherwise it would be legal.

Now one last factor that applies is the ethics of it, I live in a town of Miners, Ranchers, Gamblers, and drug-addicts, so ethics don't apply much.

However (and this is a true story) when you're future president (this was when Obama was running 4 years ago) comes to town and it hits the news, it's kindof embarassing to have your town known as "The town of mining, gambling, and legal prostitution." It just make's this town feel dirty, but that's just me, and ethics is just a matter of choice in this.
thomas_L

Pro

thomas_L forfeited this round.
ProwlerKnight

Con

My opponent has opted out of this discussion, vote for con
thomas_L

Pro

thomas_L forfeited this round.