paddy11
BillBonJovi

the leaving certificate should be abolished

BillBonJovi

paddy11

Pro

The leaving certificate examination should be abolished in Ireand and other countries because it undermines the potential of students.If the government were to abolish it and implement continuos assessment students could have there overall work noticed.What if a top student who has always done well and has consecutive A-grades becomes nervous on the day and loses track of mind?what has his/her hard work ammounted to?absolutely nothing! http://www.spunout.ie...
BillBonJovi

Con

I thank my opponent for creating this debate, and now onto the debate...

The topic of my opponent's argument is "the leaving certificate should be abolished" and the key word in that line is "abolished". Using thefreedirectionay.com the definition of abolished is: "1. to do away with" and "2. To destroy completely". [1]

Pro is arguing that it should be gone for good, but I however disagree, it is a very useful certificate and surely maybe it just needs to be amended (instead of abolished).

Perhaps it is just the actual exams that need to change and not the system. I agree about the idea of more personal creativity in the actual test, but the Leaving Cert, I believe does not exceed all acceptable boundaries regarding stress. Modernisation is required but not abolishment.

In this debate Pro will need to PROVE that the whole entire leaving certificate needs to go instead of only just be amended.

For the time being I will argue reasons why the leaving certificate should be kept.

Some Irish students go to university in the United Kingdom, particularly in Northern Ireland and larger British cities. Increasingly students from the Republic attend university in Northern Ireland, and vice-versa.

In recognition of this, the Established Leaving Certificate underwent a process with UCAS to gain entry to the UCAS Tariff for direct entry to United Kingdom universities. This introduced the examination directly onto the UCAS Tariff, allowing it to be compared more easily with other qualifications on the UCAS Tariff. On June 8, 2004 it was decided that a Leaving Certificate (higher) subject will be worth two-thirds of an A-level (UK, except Scotland). [2]

Instead of Irish students going to study A-levels in the UK, the Irish leaving certificate allows students to undertake several more than a typical A-level student ,it allows a wider variety of subjects as well then what you get in a A-level selection course as well. [2]

And also in truth the certificate is good as long as you chose the subjects you know you will enjoy and work well enough to them. The problem when arguing against this (which my opponent is doing) is that every student is different and you cannot necessarily change to a different system without affecting the other students.

I think pro should try to PROVE that the student majority will be happy with the whole certificate being abolished.

I end my first Round here...

[1] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
paddy11

Pro

paddy11 forfeited this round.
BillBonJovi

Con

Seeing as my opponent forfeited his round 2 all I can say for my round 2 argument is...

Argument extended
paddy11

Pro

paddy11 forfeited this round.
BillBonJovi

Con

Unfortunately Pro has forfeited all of his rounds past round 1 and has not made any real valid arguments.

The source Pro used in Round 1 is not a reliable source at all because it was just an article about one person's thoughts. Also Pro has failed to prove anything in this debate, however in my round 1 I did manage to give evidence that the Irish leaving certificate is worth keeping.

Due to Pro's unfortunate performance in this debate, I urge a Con vote
Posted by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
maybe, I've seen alot more accounts like this where they start a debate and never sign in ever again :/
I wonder if those accounts were made by spambots
Posted by TUF 6 years ago
TUF
He's probably going to forfeit. He did on the one I'm debating him on.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
paddy11BillBonJoviTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by boredinclass 6 years ago
boredinclass
paddy11BillBonJoviTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeit