ajordan
JBlake

the military is an unproductive institution that should be abolished.

JBlake

ajordan

Pro

The military is an unproductive institution that should be abolished.
It does nothing for society and all it produces is corpses and insane people.
JBlake

Con

My opponent claims:
"The military is an unproductive institution that should be abolished.
It does nothing for society and all it produces is corpses and insane people."

Rebuttal:
The military is productive in a vast number of ways, which I will outline below.

1. The military is responsible for a number of innovations that eventually reach the private sector. Due to time constraints (60 minutes per round) I will not outline these unless my opponent specifically requests. I believe this point to be generally accepted.

2. The military is responsible for advances in efficiency of technological innovations. These include but are not limited to radio, television, cellular phones.

These are modern examples, the list is enormous when you consider points 1 and 2 throughout history.

3. The military is productive in advancing the goals and agendas of the nation to which it belongs. For instance, if Nation A wants Z resource that resides in Nation B, a military would be productive in obtaining Z resource for Nation A.

4. The military is productive in that it protects a nation from an external threat.

5. The military is productive in providing employment for citizens, thus contributing to economic productivity.

The list of examples in which the military is productive goes on and on. I will stop at five for now, since the few mentioned here adequately proves that the military is indeed productive.
ajordan

Pro

ajordan forfeited this round.
JBlake

Con

It is unfortunate that my opponent has forfeited a potentially interesting debate.

The short debate time means my opponent will likely not be returning, and neither will I.
ajordan

Pro

ajordan forfeited this round.
JBlake

Con

JBlake forfeited this round.
ajordan

Pro

ajordan forfeited this round.
JBlake

Con

JBlake forfeited this round.
ajordan

Pro

(1. The military is responsible for a number of innovations that eventually reach the private sector. Due to time constraints (60 minutes per round) I will not outline these unless my opponent specifically requests. I believe this point to be generally accepted.)

These innovations only produce profits for the private sector, not for the military. It does not produce profit, it only facilitates it.

(2. The military is responsible for advances in efficiency of technological innovations. These include but are not limited to radio, television, cellular phones.)

These products make people insane.

people, not the military, mostly contracted scientists, invent these things. the money that the 'military' gives them is given them by the government through the military, but the military itself does not produce anything here.

(3. The military is productive in advancing the goals and agendas of the nation to which it belongs. For instance, if Nation A wants Z resource that resides in Nation B, a military would be productive in obtaining Z resource for Nation A.)

this produces nothing, only creates the conditions for productivity.

the military proliferate delusions about external threats because it would lose funding if it didn't. this is producing corpses and insane people right now.

one does not produce employment, employees produce.
JBlake

Con

JBlake forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
ajordanJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
ajordanJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by josh_42 8 years ago
josh_42
ajordanJBlakeTied