ykrat
TruthGen

the name domenico is homosexual

TruthGen
Started: 9/8/2014 Category: Sports

ykrat

Pro

i have a friend called domenico he is a homosexual idiot
TruthGen

Con

I disagree, What are your inner motivations to say that he is an idiot? What are your reasons?
ykrat

Pro

ykrat forfeited this round.
TruthGen

Con

Since there has been no response i might have to get this information through research.

Now, obviously names don't make any difference in sexual orientation. At least, there is no proof of that. Epigenetics is believed to be one of the causes. There is no proof that names have an impact on epigenetics. Other theories involve cultural influence, taking the Greeks' cultural perspective into account, in which men were not seen any better or any worse if they had sex with another man, unless they were the passive ones in sex.

As I see, your account was created 3 days ago, just exactly the same as this debate. So we can easily assume that if one creates an account and directly creates a debate called "The name Domenico is homosexual", there is some personal motivation for doing so.

Now let's examine Pro's words: "i have a friend called domenico he is a homosexual idiot"

There's no rational thinking in these words, no logical pattern. Just simple statements. So we can assume that he didn't acquire this information through abstract thinking or logic, but emotional and passionate thinking (aka irrationality)

He joins the words "Homosexual" and "Idiot", somehow implying that there's a relationship between "homosexual" and "idiot" (Either way he would have said he is an idiot, not a "homosexual idiot"). He doesn't justify this through logic, so we can assume again this is an irrational statement. "Idiot" is an offensive word. Since Pro uses this term in an irrational way we can deduce that he has something against homosexuals and/or his friend being gay.

In any case, he has a problem with homosexuality (That's called homophobia). According to a relatively recent study, Homophobia is associated with Homosexual Arousal.

http://www.landman-psychology.com...

So we can safely say that Pro has not yet accepted his homosexual/bisexual tendencies.

Now how does this justify my point?

If you know he is homosexual, more people probably know. If he told someone about the way he is, that means he is accepting himself, just the way he is. Self-acceptance is a smart decision to choose because it is one of the healthiest ones.

"Idiots" don't make wise decisions.

According to Merriam-Webster:

Idiot:
1
usually offensive : a person affected with extreme mental retardation
2
: a foolish or stupid person

Your friend Domenico (From the information i can deduce) does not appear to be idiotic, since he can make good choices for his own physical, mental and social health.
ykrat

Pro

^^^^ me and my friend domenico made this as a joke calm down you homosexual, you are obviously one
TruthGen

Con

No, i'm no homosexual. I'm just deducing information from the limited amount of data i've got. I try to expose reality to healthy skepticism and scientific data so i can extract information that will in turn let me acquire truth (And who knows, maybe even win the debate).

Obviously there was another option, which is the one you said:

"^^^^ me and my friend domenico made this as a joke calm down you homosexual, you are obviously one"

First, I would suggest using punctuation marks. They are useful.

Now, let's proceed by making an analysis of what you are saying.

Let's assume that the fact that it is a joke is true:

"calm down you homosexual, you are obviously one"

Once again this is not a rational statement since there is no logical justification, nor it makes sense with the topic of debate, so we can deduce that it has an irrational origin.

Now, why would someone say that? He could have only said "Calm down, it was a joke". But there was a motivation to imply that I am homosexual. If there is a motivation, there is a need. Calling someone else a homosexual is not a natural need, it must have been gotten from experience, through conditioning and learning. And this pretty much looks like an aggressive self-defense response (Since calling names can be considered aggressive).
So we have two options:
1.- You have homosexual/bisexual tendencies and deny them.
2.- You have been conditioned to respond in this way by experience.

In any case, your arguments aren't valid since you are not even aware of the reasons that make you act this way.

I suggest taking a look at this link and using the most appropriate procedure according to your state and your friend's:
http://curehomophobia.org...
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
ykratTruthGenTied
Reasons for voting decision: No substantial arguments were made by Pro, and Con made too many good ones in response to not give Con argument points. Conduct goes to Con for the round forfeit and insults from Pro. THe source was used as a retort to the insult, so there are no source points to be awarded.
Vote Placed by JayConar 2 years ago
JayConar
ykratTruthGenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's use of logic and deductive reasoning make me question my life :I well done Con
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
ykratTruthGenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture. Pro also had several spelling errors.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
ykratTruthGenTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was nonsense from the outset. Conduct, at least, for the forfeit.