guesswho
DiggyDawg

the one child policy in China is right

guesswho

Pro

The One Child Policy was introduced in 1978 with the main purpose of controlling the growth of the Chinese population. Although it is an old policy, it continues to be a very controversial topic even to this day.

The supporting side of this policy generally sees it as a necessary step in maintaining the integrity of China, while the opposing side of this policy generally sees it as a severe breach of fundamental human rights.

For this debate, I will be taking up the pro position that supports this policy. Here are my arguments:

1. 76% of China's population supports this policy:
No one understands the current social, economical, environmental problems in China better than the Chinese people who have to live with these problems everyday. Moreover, this policy directly affects them, hence, they are the ones most fit to judge this policy for what it is. On the other hand, foreigners who frankly have no adequate knowledge about any of these problems, who are only propelled by their ideals, have no right to make any judgement on this issue. The fact that an overwhelming majority of the Chinese population supports this policy clearly shows the real and true necessity of its existence, despite what outsiders might think.

2. This policy is well constructed with fairness and justice in mind:
Although couples in China are only allowed to have one child, there are many exemptions to this policy to make it as fair as possible. For example, rural couples, ethnic minorities, and parents without siblings themselves are all exempt from this policy due to their special circumstances. Rural couples need more hands to operate their farms. Ethnic minorities who have their own unique ways of life and unique cultures are not forced to accept a policy that the majority ethnic group has established. Moreover, places like Tibet which has volatile ties with China and is not 100% part of China are exempt from this policy.

3. The one child policy solved and continues to solve many of China's social, economical, and environmental problems:
Anyone who is looking for a job in China knows just how hard it is to find one with so many applicants and so less jobs available. Countless students with PhD's cannot even find jobs. That is the current situation. Now imagine four hundred million more people looking for jobs every year. That would be the reality if the one-child policy wasn't implemented. The Chinese government estimated that China had four hundred million fewer people in 2008 with the policy in place than otherwise without. As a result, it has successfully helped out the economic growth in China by preventing jobless rates from soaring.

The one child policy has played a significant factor in reducing the severity of problems in an overly populated nation. There are less epidemics, less slums, less pressure on social services like health, education, law enforcement.

Unfortunately, even with the policy, China still has one million more births than deaths every five weeks, which causes the current problems due to over population in China to gradually worsen.

4. Less people means better quality of life in China:
With less of a strain on social services, social services like healthcare and education have time to improve their services rather than being stuck in its third world form.
This policy has also reduced the risks of death or serious injury during pregnancy for women.
Rather than using up all its money to accommodate hundreds of millions of extra people, the one child policy allowed for the government to use that money to improve its existing services so people that are already alive can have a better standard of life.
Saving rates for average Chinese families have also increased since the one child policy was introduced. This means more money for the family, which translate to a better standard of living.

5. Personal Experience
I've visited China many times and I can literally see the shortage of resources there. People can recycle a bowl of water so many times before actually letting it drain. For example, they can use the same bowl of water to wash their clothes and then use it to mop the floor and then to flush the toilet. That's the reality in many parts of China today.

Personally, I do not like to see human rights being suppressed, but desperate times call for desperate measures. It is almost like Conscription during War times. No one wants to be forced to join the army, but in order to protect the security of a nation, to protect a way of life, governments sometimes have to resort to such measures.
Although China is not at war, its situation is equally as desperate in many ways.

I say, let a smaller loss take place in order to prevent a larger one from happening.
I say, let a human right be partially suppressed for a limited time in order to avoid the very real and severe consequences of a over-populated nation.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from whoever will be taking up this debate.

DiggyDawg

Con

1. What is popular is not always right.
Perhaps we could allow more children, under certain circumstances.

2. Chinese people could move out into the country, allowing for more room. But that is up to them.

3. I believe there is a demand for things such as doctors.

4. A higher rate of money does not always equate to higher quality living.

5. That is your opinion
guesswho

Pro

I'd like to thank DiggyDawg for taking up this debate, but frankly, I'm not too happy with what seems to me as a lack of effort from his side.

So far in the debate, DiggyDawg has provided close to nothing to refute my previous points. Moreover, where he does make claims against my arguments, he fails to back them up with any facts. Furthermore, he uses words like "believe" or "perhaps", suggesting to me that many of his claims are opinion based rather than factual. Having said this, it is fair to conclude that DiggyDawg has thus far failed to adequately refute my points.

Nevertheless, I will still refute the claims my opponent has made to the best of my ability.

1. "What is popular is not always right"

While personally I do agree with this statement, you miss the more important point of my first argument, one that I thought was quite obvious. My point is that because of fact that the Chinese people have a better understanding of the situation in China than outsiders as well as a better understanding of the one child policy (for they are the ones being affected), their judgement on the one child policy best reflects its rightfulness, making the 76% statistic very reliable. To clarify this point, here is a simple example: In the sport of hockey, professional referees are called to judge a game rather than a mere hockey fan. This is because a referee has a better understanding of the rules of the game, thus his judgement reflects more accuracy. Likewise, the Chinese people have a better understanding of the policy, therefore their judgement is best. To summarize, Chinese people's adequate knowledge on the policy and on China's current situation makes their 76% judgement in favor of the policy much more meaningful than just a popular vote. It makes it accurate, reliable, and truthful.

2. "Chinese people could move out into the country, allowing for more room. But that is up to them."

This is not a counterargument to my second argument. You are simply offering your solution to how to free up room in China.

3. "I believe there is a demand for things such as doctors."

This is solely an opinion until you can back it up with evidence and a source.

4. "A higher rate of money does not always equate to higher quality living."

Again, where is the proof? Also, higher savings was only one of my points. DiggyDawg did not address any of the other points I made under argument 4, such as: less of a strain on social services, government spendings, and reduced risks of death or serious injury during pregnancy for women.

5. "That is your opinion"

True, it is an opinion, but it is one that is derived from facts and moral reasoning.

Thanks
DiggyDawg

Con

DiggyDawg forfeited this round.
guesswho

Pro

Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited this round. Vote Pro!
DiggyDawg

Con

DiggyDawg forfeited this round.
Posted by Chinophyle 1 year ago
Chinophyle
Is there a way I can take over the Contender spot? I feel the con was not well supported.
I have a B.A. in Chinese Lit and Lang, and I can say from the fact I have studied Chinese culture, that primary con isn't just violation of human rights.
In Chinese culture a families legacy lives and dies with a son, and continuation of the family line. This has been important and an intricate part of their history. Once a daughter is married she is no longer a member of her family, she belongs to her husbands family. With the One Child Policy, it means a family can't keep trying for a son if they have daughters. So as a result, many female infants are killed or abandon.
In recent history the is now a skew of the genders so there are more men to women, meaning many men will never be able to marry. This has caused crime rates to go up, in the areas of kidnapping, and human trafficking.
Another thing that is causing problems because of this law is China's aging population exceeds the working population, so many elders will have no security in their old age. That is another culture aspect, caring for your elders. Parents care for the child until they the parents are too old then the children care for the parents in their old age.
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
Argh, yea. I was about to accept until I noticed the indefinite voting period.
Posted by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
"The voting period will last indefinitely."

Fix and I'll accept.
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 1 year ago
Seeginomikata
guesswhoDiggyDawgTied
Reasons for voting decision: arguments and forfeit. pro actually had a case and should win
Vote Placed by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
I-am-a-panda
guesswhoDiggyDawgTied